New numbers nominated

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacobs in #24 is a good fit :thumbsu:

I wonder if Thompson chose to move from #1 to #28 or if he was encouraged to do so?

Martin to 36 and Petrenko to 23 are huge shoes to fill, hopefully they're able to fill them! I'd feel less easy with Petrenko going to 23 if I didn't think that McLeod requested it.

This is a very interesting decision. You'd think Thompson would want to keep #1.

Also glad to see Gunston in the #6. Maybe he can bring some magic back :)

I hate it
I'd rather a kid make a number their own
Not a fan of a few numbers being handed down
It's just that we had so many champions retire this year, so we have a lot in the "handed down" category rather than the "hopefully the new kid can turn the history of this jumper around" category.

Realistically, we will have 47 players on our list next year (including 9 rookies). With the #19 taken permanently out of commission, we use jumpers #1-48. When one becomes vacant then someone has to inherit it. That's the way the footy team evolves.

It's just that we had so many champions retire this year, so we have a lot in the "handed down" category rather than the "hopefully the new kid can turn the history of this jumper around" category.

Realistically, we will have 47 players on our list next year (including 9 rookies). With the #19 taken permanently out of commission, we use jumpers #1-48. When one becomes vacant then someone has to inherit it. That's the way the footy team evolves.
I just dont like people changing numbers to get their hands on a champions number

cant Petrenko stick with 33, or Sloane with 31, or Martin with 41

let a new person to the team take those numbers
Tambling with 23 maybe, and our 2 draft picks take 36 and 9

I just want 1 player to stick with their number forever (if possible)

Tambling No.1 doesn't bode well.....

its just a number. he is away from richmonds toxic atmosphere and thats all that matters.

andrew crowell and luke thompson hardly achieved anything in that jumper anyway.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about Tambling being given number 1. It's not as though it's a special number at the Crows. Hell, it was just vacated by an upgraded rookie!

For all we know, Tambling requested the number. That's the way it usually works - they allow upgraded rookies to request a new number, then they allow newcomers to pick any available guernseys in the order they arrive at the club.

Why has the number #19 been taken out of commission? Last I remember it was worn by Mark Stevens?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tambling No.1 doesn't bode well.....

I reckon he would've got #23, but that would actually put more pressure on him than #1 - which is pretty meaningless.

Pets at #23 is alright, everybody loves him, he's fearless, we just need to play him down back. Having Macca's endorsement (you'd assume that's what the number is) will help his confidence.

I wonder if Thompson chose to move from #1 to #28 or if he was encouraged to do so?

Interestingly a 3 way switch;
Tambling to #1
L Thompson from #1 to #28
Gunston from #28 to #6

Maybe 28 & 6 have singificance to Thompson & Gunston respectively ?

Looking forward to the day when we recruit a player worthy of the #52.

You should've given the 52 to the big Sauce! :thumbsu:

He will be a gun ruck soon and he's a local boy...perfect fit imo. But I'm not even sure that jumper numbers go up that far anymore. I think Jaensch at 48 was the highest that I've seen running around for quite a while. The most recent 50-something I can remember besides Rehn is Voss (originally 56 at the Bears) before he switched to the 3.

Go for gold Pets! Love the little bloke.

I actually liked Jaensch in #48. :( Shame, but he'll suit 10 too I think.

I liked Thompson in #1, I guess Tambo wanted it.

So Hendles is staying put in #45? I like. :thumbsu:

Putting Jaensch in 10 is a great to way to ensure commentators are that much more likely to accidentally refer to him as Porplyzia :D If they only catch his right side you know it's going too happen, like when Vince moved to 17 and they all started calling him Van Berlo :D

I like Henderson in 45 as well. I wish more rookies would stay in their number and make it their own :thumbsu: Wear it as a badge of honour, to show you took the difficult road to the AFL.

You should've given the 52 to the big Sauce! :thumbsu:

He will be a gun ruck soon and he's a local boy...perfect fit imo. But I'm not even sure that jumper numbers go up that far anymore. I think Jaensch at 48 was the highest that I've seen running around for quite a while. The most recent 50-something I can remember besides Rehn is Voss (originally 56 at the Bears) before he switched to the 3.

Greg Broughton played as #54 as a rookie before changing to #6. As of now, the highest number is #49 worn by Ayce Cordy. Although I suspect it only a temporary measure for the websites, Peter Faulks & David Hale have been listed as #99, Mzungu Tendai & Kyle Cheney #98 and Jon Griffin as #97.

Greg Broughton played as #54 as a rookie before changing to #6. As of now, the highest number is #49 worn by Ayce Cordy. Although I suspect it only a temporary measure for the websites, Peter Faulks & David Hale have been listed as #99, Mzungu Tendai & Kyle Cheney #98 and Jon Griffin as #97.

Broughton was 48.

Richmond had players allocated numbers in the 50s this year - Relton Roberts appeared in the #50 in at least one game.

There's an interesting* thread on the stats board dealing with these sort of things.

*if you're as big a nerd as me.

For what its worth, I usually couldnt care about numbers but am disappointed 3 legends of our clubs numbers have been handed out the way they have. Personally Im rapt with Sloaney getting Edwards number, but Petrenko hasnt earnt Mcleods number and I dont care if he is the only indigenous player left. There will be a few lads who step up in a few years who deserve these numbers. Its an honour to use their old locker. I thought the way the club gave 32 to Dangerfield was first class

Remove this Banner Ad

New numbers nominated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back