Opinion New Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Heath> Stevenson ? Or Stevenson > Heath ?

Two different players in their own right, Heath more defensive minded and Stevenson offensive. Both impact the game differently and their rank depends on what you see more influential which will have fans divided. Not exactly fair to base judgement after two rounds against average opposition anyway. Both have been great.

It's like the early days of our AFL recruiting when we brought players like Montgomery, Bishop, Pickett, Hardwick and Mahoney to the club before tailing off on Shattock, Lonie, Nash, Meyer types. No more alchemy just some decent talent identification.
Yep great post FF. God those days of shattock, lonie, nash meyer were uninspiring.

Anyway for mine it would be.
Wines - Because we have needed everything that Ollie brings. Flair, marketability, hardness, and out and out football skill and nouse. Ollie has that intangible trait that cant be taught, you either have it or you dont and Ollie has it. And I love him. He reminds me a lot of Josh.

Heath - Has not put a single foot wrong. Has massive desire and purpose. Knows he needs to make every game count and plays with that old skool PAFC defence first, head towards the boundary, punch the ball away, get a sly kidney punch PAFC desperation that we so badly needed. Love him.

Neade. Kid could be anything. Instead of Brett the smallest tall forward, we have Jake a GENUINE small forward who is creative, flamboyant, incredibly marketable, highly skilled, defensively sound and apparantly mentally determined. So so important.

Stevenson - Although I have him low that does not mean I dont think he is super important. Creativity from Defense is something I've been highly critical. Shit HB line has been a burden ever since about 2005ish. Jasper and Heath add two guys that are combative, hate losing and love to take the game on. Modern HBF that we havent wasted a first round pick on.

Every one of these guys seems to be playing with Old fashioned PAFC passion. I dont know if that is recruiting the right player or Kenny bringing that out in them.

It is amazing our new guys have come in and made an immediate impact. Personally my favourite is Neade but the best would be Heath.

On the flip side we have had a number of guys in the port system who simply didn't develop under the old regime.

Thank god Hinckley and co have turned a number of these plodders around within 4 months.

Just amazing!

Burgess needs more credit. Falloon must have been god awful.
I would Love Chad Cornes to get into Fitness and Soorts Science. When he was working out during our game that he wasn't selected for showed plenty! He has an amazing figure and one of the greatest Athletes to play AFL footy, if he was/is well educated in Sports Science/Human Movement I would lie to have him back at Port... Next to Darren Burgess, obviously!

I would Love Chad Cornes to get into Fitness and Soorts Science. When he was working out during our game that he wasn't selected for showed plenty! He has an amazing figure and one of the greatest Athletes to play AFL footy, if he was/is well educated in Sports Science/Human Movement I would lie to have him back at Port... Next to Darren Burgess, obviously!
If he could do an apprenticeship under Burgess it would do him a world of good.

Kane 'the link man' Cornes should be added to this. Great use of his experience in linking all the play by Hinkley.
The young uns win the ball and run like crazy and everything goes through the experienced decision maker who has the engine to always find space.

Have to disagree. Just because Chad is buff and puts a lot of time into his body doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a good fitness coach (he very well could). Look at Darren Burgess, for example, expert knowledge+ ability to communicate makes him a gun. It's like others (not you RiT) are misguided when making calls for Roger James to be a skills coach, for example.

Just because you did a skill well doesn't mean that you'll coach the discipline. A lot of the best coaches are those without the natural talent of the aforementioned.

I was the same with Angus, couldn't understand why we would pay top dollar for something we had plenty of, another small forward... However, happy we hav the lad now, but would like to see just that little more from him, I am probably 80% at the moment!

Was ridiculously misunderstood due to his staging at Essendon - real or imagined - has always been harder than a coffin nail and in his early years at Windy Hill was actually told to pull back a bit given his kamikaze attack on the pill.

Superb recruit for his age, experience and what he offers around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to disagree. Just because Chad is buff and puts a lot of time into his body doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a good fitness coach (he very well could). Look at Darren Burgess, for example, expert knowledge+ ability to communicate makes him a gun. It's like others (not you RiT) are misguided when making calls for Roger James to be a skills coach, for example.

Just because you did a skill well doesn't mean that you'll coach the discipline. A lot of the best coaches are those without the natural talent of the aforementioned.

I think Chad is buff for himself, the mirror and the chicks. The fact it might help his footy would have been an after thought.

Neade. Kid could be anything. Instead of Brett the smallest tall forward, we have Jake a GENUINE small forward who is creative, flamboyant, incredibly marketable, highly skilled, defensively sound and apparantly mentally determined. So so important.

Yep, most importantly he has excellent vision and creates.

Makes pressure and is so dangerous around the hff.

May not have had the score involvements this weekend but had 8 tackles.

Yep, most importantly he has excellent vision and creates.

Makes pressure and is so dangerous around the hff.

it is great to have someone that contributes no matter what. if he scores; great. if he provides score assists; great and if he provides amazing defensive pressure; great. if he does all three in one game; he will become an all time great.

He still had a goal and at least two assists that I can remember. Not bad for an 18 year old kid playing in a Showdown.

A couple of really nice kicks and some of the chips off the side of his boot... he really does seem to have a knack of knowing where the most dangerous place to put the footy will be.

Fast hands and seems to thrive on physical stuff even though he's tiny. Love it.

Sorry to intrude but I didn't know where else I should add to the Campbell Heath froth. I was so, so disappointed to see him leave the club at the end of last year (as was about every other knowledgeable Swans person) because it was looking pretty clear that he was right on the precipice of being a consistent senior player.

I don't resent him for wanting to move to another club where he would get more opportunities rather than stay at Sydney where our back 7 is very much established mind you. But if he had stayed for just one more year he may well have pushed out Marty Mattner. Or replaced him when he retires in due course....

Oh well. He's a stud and I'm happy he's getting the opportunities and plaudits now. I will watch his career with keen interest from here on in.

Oh, and props to your boys for how they've started the season. I think your club is quickly becoming a lot of people's 2nd team this year.

Neade has the footy nous of a 25 year old. He can do the tricky stuff that indigenous players can do, but his natural instinct is to do the high percentage stuff first, not the flashy stuff.

Then there is his tackling. A lot of NT indigenous kids also watch a lot of rugby league on TV and tend to also play it as the footy season is different to the RL season, so they develop their tackling skills. The WIN - ch 9 affiliate in NT show RL in primetime in the NT as does Imparja TV.

Does anyone have access to goal assists and/or score assists stats?? He must be in the top 3 in the league!!!

Neade has the footy nous of a 25 year old. He can do the tricky stuff that indigenous players can do, but his natural instinct is to do the high percentage stuff first, not the flashy stuff.

Then there is his tackling. A lot of NT indigenous kids also watch a lot of rugby league on TV and tend to also play it as the footy season is different to the RL season, so they develop their tackling skills. The WIN - ch 9 affiliate in NT show RL in primetime in the NT as does Imparja TV.

Does anyone have access to goal assists and/or score assists stats?? He must be in the top 3 in the league!!!

yep

has the ability to be flashy
but very smart

Number 1!

ama7hv.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion New Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back