Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
The Age | Stephen Rielly | December 18 said:
St Kilda is poised to appoint Essendon legend Simon Madden as ruck coach for 2008. Madden, the Dons' games record-holder and arguably the best ruckman/forward of all time, is expected to begin with the Saints when pre-season training resumes in January. Madden's imminent appointment follows the addition of veteran ruckman Steven King and teenager Ben McEvoy to St Kilda's ruck division.

Article available here. St Kilda Stuff at bottom.

Looking good if this is true.

I had heard that Madden was finishing up with St Bernards (VAFA), but their website states he has been re-appointed. However, Dean Solomon is shown as the reserves coach!!!

Obviously Madden would have an escape clause if this sort of opportunity came up.

Seems our ruck coach last year was David Honeybun, but his name has been removed from the saints website? This indicates there is a new coach.

Another fine pick-up by FF. I am quickly moving from a doubter to a big fan of their management. I'll be particularly interested to see how much influence Madden will have on Kosi, as that will tell us whether he's going to have much rucking to do this year (I suspect he won't, but hey, I've been wrong plenty of times before...)

Another first class effort by the people in charge, we seem to be doing everything right this season, we are recognizing deficiencies and putting a solution in place, we are only in the media for the right reasons and we have had one of the most successful recruiting periods in the clubs history...
All signs are pointing to a big '08,'09....

Another fine pick-up by FF. I am quickly moving from a doubter to a big fan of their management. I'll be particularly interested to see how much influence Madden will have on Kosi, as that will tell us whether he's going to have much rucking to do this year (I suspect he won't, but hey, I've been wrong plenty of times before...)

If Rix doesn't play as most BigFooty people desire, and Blake has trimmed down for a different role, then Kosi is one of our 3 main ruckmen this year.

To me it's clear he'll be getting plenty of tips on tapwork if there is a VFL legend floating about.

I assume the track watchers will advise in due course (as to where Kosi looks like he is setting up to play).

well we also kept van rheenan on the rookie list must be showing somethign he need to bulk up but he is over 200cm so right now all our ruckman are a good size i am happy and i hope all develop well we could go from having oneof the worst to having one the best woot woot i heard the bang wagon comming lol

well we also kept van rheenan on the rookie list must be showing somethign he need to bulk up but he is over 200cm so right now all our ruckman are a good size i am happy and i hope all develop well we could go from having oneof the worst to having one the best woot woot i heard the bang wagon comming lol

Have you seen Van Rheenan recently? He's twice the size he was last year, not quite there yet but almost...

Doesn't matter if Kosi doesn't contest the centre bounces....he'll be doing the ruckwork in the forward line...so every little tip helps.

MAN I SAY THIS EVERYTIME BUT BRING ON SEASON 2008 RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Another impressive signing.

It's common knowledge that we've struggled in the ruck and it's just so encouraging to see that we've gone out and addressed that area with both on and off-field signings.

saints.com.au said:
Simon Madden appointed St Kilda ruck coach

2:18 PM Tue 18 December, 2007
for saints.com.au

The Saints today announce Simon Madden to its coaching artillery as Ruck Coach,effective immediately.

The appointment completes the new coaching and development team at the Saints and adds to the recent appointments of Greg Hutchison (Casey Scorpions Coach)
and Dave Misson (Elite Performance Manager).

Matthew Drain, General Manager Football,said “This was one of the major bricks left to be laid in our coaching staff wall and we’re wrapped to have someone of Simon’s calibre on board.”

“Simon is one of the greatest ruckmen to have ever played the game and was captain of Essendon by the time he was 22.
He brings a huge amount of knowledge and experience to our team and we’re
all looking forward to working with him,"said Matthew.
Justin Koschitzke commented,“This is an awesome opportunity to work with one of the game's greats.”

Simon Madden Fast Facts:
Born on December 30, 1957
Played for the Essendon Football Club from 1974 until 1992.
Was President of the AFL Players Association from 1985 until 1989.
He was named in the ruck in Essendon's "Team of the Century" and named as the fifth best player ever to play for the club
He became head coach of St.Bernards Old Collegians Football Club Seniors (Essendon, VIC, Australia)in 2005.
Holds the games record at Windy Hill at 378.
Premiership player in 1984 and 1985
Norm Smith Medal in 1985
He won Essendon's best and fairest award in 1977,1979,1983 and 1984 and finished third in the award in 1978.
All Australian in 1983, 1984,1987 and 1988

confirmed.

Good on the club.

I had heard that Madden was finishing up with St Bernards (VAFA), but their website states he has been re-appointed. However, Dean Solomon is shown as the reserves coach!!!

Obviously Madden would have an escape clause if this sort of opportunity came up.

Seems our ruck coach last year was David Honeybun, but his name has been removed from the saints website? This indicates there is a new coach.
He still is and will stay coach of St B. He will be at Saints training once to twice a week to give some pointers, thats all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

premiership window is closed sorry
kosi will get injured kingy will retire

Well you sound like an educated fellow - NOT.

Not happy that Kingy has left eh?

I'll take it from your lack of comment that Gardiner will play 25 games, and McEvoy will prove a star.

There's an open window here - doesn't seem to close!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

New Ruck Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back