New South Wales football - where is it at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
With both Sydney and GWS being on the receiving end of grand final thumpings, the question needs to be asked about the effects these thumpings have had on the clubs, and the ripple effects on football in NSW and the hopes of the AFL ever having a chance of overtaking NRL in NSW.

We've seen the effects grand final thumpings have had on the Crows and Power, along with the ripple effects on football in South Australia, and there's no doubt football in South Australia is in crisis, but that's a topic for another thread.

Do you think Sydney and GWS are in for some very lean years? GWS have been ordinary since 2019, and I have no doubt Sydney will also be ordinary in the coming years.

2019? Giants made the second week of finals last season.
Giants are in refresh mode no doubt, off field the board needs a shake up.

Swans had kids plus Buddy so they will be better for it and off field are going great guns.

They both were still in GFs wether flogged or not.

Plenty of upside to both but will be an interesting next few years.

It’s not about overtaking the NRL. AFL will never be bigger than NRL in Sydney, but they can carve their own piece of the pie.

With both Sydney and GWS being on the receiving end of grand final thumpings, the question needs to be asked about the effects these thumpings have had on the clubs, and the ripple effects on football in NSW and the hopes of the AFL ever having a chance of overtaking NRL in NSW.

We've seen the effects grand final thumpings have had on the Crows and Power, along with the ripple effects on football in South Australia, and there's no doubt football in South Australia is in crisis, but that's a topic for another thread.

Do you think Sydney and GWS are in for some very lean years? GWS have been ordinary since 2019, and I have no doubt Sydney will also be ordinary in the coming years.
Sydneys drafting is first class.
As for NSW footy, the measure should be the number on AFL lists year by year.

2019? Giants made the second week of finals last season.
Giants are in refresh mode no doubt, off field the board needs a shake up.

Swans had kids plus Buddy so they will be better for it and off field are going great guns.

They both were still in GFs wether flogged or not.

Plenty of upside to both but will be an interesting next few years.

It’s not about overtaking the NRL. AFL will never be bigger than NRL in Sydney, but they can carve their own piece of the pie.
I have to admit though.

Your team's finals run from 2016-19 was a bit weird.

2016 was the best chance for a flag and possibly 2017.

2019, GWS Made a grand final.

Also they at least won 1 final between 2016-9.

2021 was a meh year. GWS were ok but good on them getting another finals win.

Crazy to think prior to this season, GWS had more finals wins than the dockers.

GWS has 7 finals wins, Dockers had 6. Make it 7 now with the dockers Elim final win vs the dogs.

The ripple effects?

It was ten minutes ago

Also.... Here's another thing.

I watched this on a west coast eagles Podcast. Hawks full forward Roughead was on the podcast.

He said on grand final parades, when it to wearing sunglasses, hawks teammates didn't do it.

When Freo, swans and eagles did it in 2013-5, he said hawks were confident.

I noticed yesterday, no cats players wore sunglasses, some swans players did.

Crazy thing to say that

Also.... Here's another thing.

I watched this on a west coast eagles Podcast. Hawks full forward Roughead was on the podcast.

He said on grand final parades, when it to wearing sunglasses, hawks teammates didn't do it.

When Freo, swans and eagles did it in 2013-5, he said hawks were confident.

I noticed yesterday, no cats players wore sunglasses, some swans players did.

Crazy thing to say that
But wearing speed dealers is cool though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies have won 2 flags in +60 years. Why such a poor record given you haven’t been thumped in grand finals?

and I have no doubt Sydney will also be ordinary in the coming years.

What are your reasons for this?

From where I sit, it's a well run club with strong culture, game plan, FD and governance - and list, better than most and certainly better than ours.

If it's between the ears and they collectively fall to bits then that doesn't speak of how they got to this GF after their recent regen in the first place.

I don't buy this 'cop a floggin in the GF and fall off the cliff' mantra.

Pies have won 2 flags in +60 years. Why such a poor record given you haven’t been thumped in grand finals?

Apart from 1980.

Usually because when it counts we're a poorly run club that shoots itself in the foot when it matters most. The two most recent examples:

1. The succession plan - lots of debate, but from where I sit you don't front up a raw coach with no senior experience to lead a team that went 20-2 with a % of 167. May as well give the keys of your blown HQ monaro to your unco 13 yo niece and entrust her not to crash it. That is the height of stupidity (Eddie)
  2. Since the succession plan, the ridiculous trades like Mayne and Wells or the Beams deal (Eddie) or backending contracts until it comes home to roost. Like Treloar and now Grundy and we'll likely do it again with Degs. We'll never learn.
Could've had 2 maybe 3 more flags if we didn't * things up that were in our control. Yeah I get that's the old admin and FD that are now gone but the horse has bolted and the damage is done. Done amazingly well this year considering, so I'm grateful for the clean out at the club.

Threads like these straight after a GF I find highly amusing (or bemusing), generally it's posters don't have a team with skin in the game (no offence Deadly Assassin ) and without looking in their own back yard.

Remove this Banner Ad

New South Wales football - where is it at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back