New Team in 2011, How will it affect fantasy??

Remove this Banner Ad

bloody brilliant

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2009
Launceston
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
after the gold coast have now become official. how will this effect dream team points. there will be 17 teams. one team has to have a buy every week. therefore you will cop zeros in our dream teams .. does anyone no what will happen?
Ideas people...

the same will happen as does in other sports fantasy leagues. u just cop it and ensure u have good cover on your bench.

after the gold coast have now become official. how will this effect dream team points. there will be 17 teams. one team has to have a buy every week. therefore you will cop zeros in our dream teams .. does anyone no what will happen?
Ideas people...

This is why the dual-position rules were introduced. Next year you'll want to have cover for most of your positions so when you're players have byes you'll have coverage from other positions.

IMO, you pick your starting squad and that will be your initial squad, now say Geelong has a bye week and you only have one Geelong player lets say Ablett you should be able to trade him out for free for any other midfielder that you can afford with his price plus any cash leftover for the week to cover for him, after the week is finished you regain Ablett. Only applies to players that have a bye week.

Could it work?

IMO, you pick your starting squad and that will be your initial squad, now say Geelong has a bye week and you only have one Geelong player lets say Ablett you should be able to trade him out for free for any other midfielder that you can afford with his price plus any cash leftover for the week to cover for him, after the week is finished you regain Ablett. Only applies to players that have a bye week.

Could it work?

i hope this is how they do it!!!!

Could it work?

thats what i was thinking, hoping thats how they do it:thumbsu:

This will be a debate that will rage on over the year. It's in the best interest of VS/AFL to keep it simple. That is, not too high maintainence for the average DTer. If you need to spend too much time on it each week, it will lose it's appeal.

My thoughts:

Get your 'bye' players average for the round. Means no trading, no massively thought out strategy. This would appeal to most. Rd 1, the player gets their 2010 average. You can't make them captain for the week either.

What I see happening, though, is the salary cap will stay the same, the MN lower, an extra bench player in each position and more dual position players. VS would have their own licence to run with player positions for 2011.

Changing the team structure to 6 defenders, 8 mids, 2 rucks and 6 forwards would help too! ;) I will campaign for that as it reflects what real footy is about now!

The bye idea doesn't work warnie - what do you do in round one? Use last years average? What if they are improvers (think Higgins 2009, Dangerfield, etc types)? What if they are rookies?

What happens early in the year when scores are inflated (ie stantons 150 and Shaws 143 last week - they would get that again in week 2)?

Doesn't seem fair though.

More bench spots, and more money (through a lower or stable MN (since the salary cap rises every year anyway) seems like the best option at this stage. MP positions will be also utilised Id imagine.

Going to be an interesting year 2011, and planning for it will be very challenging.

Hopefully nothing, every player is in the same boat so there wont be any advantage. It will create a bigger gap between the good dreamteamers and the bad though as you will need to study hard to prepare for byes.

The bye idea doesn't work warnie - what do you do in round one? Use last years average? What if they are improvers (think Higgins 2009, Dangerfield, etc types)? What if they are rookies?

What happens early in the year when scores are inflated (ie stantons 150 and Shaws 143 last week - they would get that again in week 2)?

Doesn't seem fair though.

More bench spots, and more money (through a lower or stable MN (since the salary cap rises every year anyway) seems like the best option at this stage. MP positions will be also utilised Id imagine.

Going to be an interesting year 2011, and planning for it will be very challenging.

Your logic is flawed - that's the risk you take by selecting anyone. Stanton's 150 is good luck (or good study) if he gets that Rd 2.

If they're improvers, that's the risk you take as well.

As for rookies - and maybe anyone, using the MN, they get the score at what they are priced at? Would make it interesting if Gold Coast have the bye the first week.

Personally, I don't like the bye idea... mainly because I have a DT brain, but they've got to think about the 90% of people who play the game just for fun. That's what it is about.

The other side of it is that there will be weeks with multiple byes (ie. more than one team). So that has to come into thinking too.

Personally, I think you should just have to 'suck up' a donut. If you have more than 'two' players in each position from the one team... you'll need to rethink your strategy.

I just think that giving them there average wouldnt work - too many loopholes and things that arnt clear cut.

I think adding an extra bench spot (if that), few more DP players, and thats it - keep it as is. Will required new strategys and thinking to keep you up the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont see a need for drastic change, it will just mean your initial squad selection needs to be more thought out as well as any mid season trades. An extra bench spot in all the positions to provide cover and more DP players fixes any issues if you pick wisely.

I only see one issue with this approach. Won't next years fixtures have weeks where 3 teams have the bye in a round? Not sure how the fixturing is going to work, but i'll assume each team with have 2 byes as 1 bye each only equates to 17 rounds. So i'm guessing we will see weeks with multiple teams missing out. If it is kept at a 22 game season then one possible structure is 16 weeks of 1 team having the bye and 6 weeks of 3 teams having a bye. This could cause chaos for a lot of peoples teams. But once again just means you'll have to pick your squad around the fixturing.

I think you'll just have to make sure you don't pick more than 3-4 players from each team to minimize the damage.

I just think that giving them there average wouldnt work - too many loopholes and things that arnt clear cut.

I think adding an extra bench spot (if that), few more DP players, and thats it - keep it as is. Will required new strategys and thinking to keep you up the top.

Agree with this. 12 bench players and more dual positon players is all that's needed.

with mature age rookies being alot more better than normal draftees i REALLY hope they dont price them higher just because of that as has been suggested by monty on the coaches box

in my opinion their pricing structure is ok the way it is but ffs get rid of the inflated pre season draft and early rookie prices that defitnetly has to go

how can you justify having barlow at a higher price than say a bastinac when bastinac was taken 70 or so picks before him most ridiculous load of shit i have ever seen:confused:

Fantasy Premier League, with 2.3 million players, has to deal with byes and teams playing twice in one week as well. They don't cap trades per week or season, but impose a scoring penalty (quite hefty too) for more than 1 trade/week. They also cap number of players per club (3) and expect the individual to manage their team to deal with the byes.

Having nothing changing except maybe a few more multi positional players is all we need. Will add another challenge to DT, should be quite interesting.

I say more bench players and more Dual Position Players. This will separte the Duds from the Studs. 4 Bench players for Defence, Mids, Forwards and still 2 for the Rucks. 36 Players thats much closer to an actual AFL team which 38 Senior Listed Players (I think)

I actually hope they do nothing, and you just have to ensure that you don't have too many players from the one team and good bench cover.

Otherwise, Warnie's average score idea is decent.

how can you justify having barlow at a higher price than say a bastinac when bastinac was taken 70 or so picks before him most ridiculous load of shit i have ever seen:confused:

Well hasn't that already been justified considering Barlow is smashing him!

Remove this Banner Ad

New Team in 2011, How will it affect fantasy??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back