NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Refs didn't throw the Hassellbeck INT in the redzone last Q ;) just sayin'... but I agree... the officiating benefited the Steelers moreso than the Seahawks that game. :oops:

Bare in mind that the Seahawks are not the reigning Division champs so it's not like our new visitor is being accused of bandwagoning just because they're showing plenty of resilience. :thumbsu: gi is welcome to get more involved with understanding the game and enjoy the ride that the Seahawks are offering after a few years of treading water.

True and true.

It's not true and true.

Seahawks got officiated out of that game till it became desperation stakes for the Seahawks. The complexion of the game would've been much different had they called it right in the first half. Of course, momentum can change etc. Seahawks not montys with the reversed decisions, but the complexion would've been different. And Roethlisberger was pathetic so relying on him at the end wouldn't have gone well.

It's not true and true.

Seahawks got officiated out of that game till it became desperation stakes for the Seahawks. The complexion of the game would've been much different had they called it right in the first half. Of course, momentum can change etc. Seahawks not montys with the reversed decisions, but the complexion would've been different. And Roethlisberger was pathetic so relying on him at the end wouldn't have gone well.

Very harsh on Big Ben.. 'pathetic' is a word I wouldn't use on his game... he was quite clever and mindful of key THIRD down situations and got the job done with a C- grading IMHO. Anyday, anytime (when free) we can both sit down and watch the SB XL together and I'll point out when 'Mr Clutch' stepped up between the two QB's. :p

The head official, Levy? admitted a couple years ago of his regret of the 'bad decisions made' which says more about the way the NFL is being managed with officiating mandates than anything else. With the gun crazed nation they live in... neither Goodell & Levy have had an assignation attempt upon them. Passive passion fans them Americans. :p

C'mon, Roethlisberger was pathetic in that game. He made one great clutch throw, the deep ball caught near the goalline. Otherwise, he was putrid. But that aside, if the Seahawks had their noses in front like they ought to have if not for the officiating, the Steelers relying on Roethlisberger in the late 3rd or 4th would've succumbed, fallen behind. He wasn't clutch that year of his career compared to the Cardinals Super Bowl game.

Very harsh on Big Ben.. 'pathetic' is a word I wouldn't use on his game... he was quite clever and mindful of key THIRD down situations and got the job done with a C- grading IMHO. Anyday, anytime (when free) we can both sit down and watch the SB XL together and I'll point out when 'Mr Clutch' stepped up between the two QB's. :p

The head official, Levy? admitted a couple years ago of his regret of the 'bad decisions made' which says more about the way the NFL is being managed with officiating mandates than anything else. With the gun crazed nation they live in... neither Goodell & Levy have had an assignation attempt upon them. Passive passion fans them Americans. :p

I'm not coming.

To be honest I wasn't following NFL back in '05 (when I moved to Australia curiously enough) but have done quite a bit of reading about the game and similarly opinions of Seahawks fans who still haven't forgotten. The game doesn't bother me (can understand why it would others) and will make that first Superbowl win all that more satisfying for those who watched and were there. Bad umpiring decisions (as much as we all hate them) are part of the NFL and indeed any (most) sport.

It's probably been done earlier in this thread but you can make similarities between AFL and NFL teams and choose the one that fits. The obvious is the eagles and eagles, the giants and giants and the saints and saints.

I chose the Bears. In some part I thought orange and blue was close enough to red and blue. I also liked that they were one of the traditional franchises in a big city with strong heritage. And without winning the big one.

I also liked that they were defensive masters when the demons weren't. It's hard to be bad when you defense it always good as it has been under Lovie. And I loved (so sad) Urlacher.

I put up with Cutlers fustrations. They are more enjoyable from this side of the planet than if I was in Chicago. The complete lack of offensive line reminds me of Melbourne in 2002, 04-06 being up the pointy end of the ladder with no key defenders. Like how on earth can you win when your team is build on a shaky foundation, that's what I saw of Chicago's offense lately. I'm hoping it turns around.

If I was picking a team now I agree I'd look for a team on the rise (you can't jump on the packers, pats, 49ers, ravens, broncos). So I'd pick your favourite of the new breed of QB and follow that team. I'd toss up between Colts, Redskins, SeaHawks or Panthers. Because its a QB league you'd be very game jumping on the Raiders (Despite the fact I love their history) or Jags. That said a few years from now and these boom QB's are bust and you are back at square one. Or worse they are now too good to cut but too bad to win anything (cough Tony Romo cough).

Hahah, very good. Looking forward to my first game as an official Jet tomorrow morning.

buffalobillsnewyorkjets-lvvjfdaes4l.jpg
I feel sorry for you bud, good luck

Re: New to NFL - Recap since 2002

Here's a snapshot of NFL team Divisional titles/ post season achievements since 2002 >> the last re-structure of divisions << where it remains to this day of Four Divisions comprising of Four teams in both conferences. Parenthess numbers include play-off participation as a Wildcard team. ie: Jets 4/11 indicates 1 Divisional Title and 3 Wildcards.

AFC EAST
New England 9 Divisional Titles (9/11)
NY Jets 1 Divisional Title (4/11)
Miami 1 Divisional Title (1/11)
Buffalo No Play-Off appearances (0/11)

AFC NORTH
Pittsburgh 5 Divisional Titles (7/11)
Baltimore 4 Divisional Titles (7/11)
Cincinnati 2 Divisional Titles (5/11)
Cleveland 1 Wildcard Qualification (1/11)

AFC SOUTH
Indianapolis 7 Divisional Titles (9/11)
Tennessee 2 Divisional Titles (3/11)
Houston 2 Divisional Title (2/11)
Jacksonville 2 Wildcard Qualifications (2/11)

AFC WEST
San Diego 5 Divisional Titles (5/11)
Denver 3 Divisional Titles (5/11)
Kansas City 2 Divisional Titles (3/11)
Oakland 1 Divisional Title (1/11)

NFC EAST
Philadelphia 5 Divisional Titles (7/11)
NY Giants 3 Divisional Titles (5/11)
Dallas 2 Divisional Titles (3/11)
Washington 1 Division Title (2/11)

NFC NORTH
Green Bay 6 Divisional Titles (8/11)
Chicago 3 Divisional Titles (3/11)
Minnesota 2 Divisional Titles (3/11)
Detroit 1 WildCard Qualification (1/11)

NFC SOUTH
Atlanta 3 Divisional Titles (5/11)
New Orleans 3 Divisional Titles (4/11)
Tampa Bay 3 Divisional Titles (3/11)
Carolina 2 Divisional Titles (2/11)

NFC WEST
Seattle 5 Divisional Titles (7/11)
San Francisco 3 Divisional Titles (3/11)
Arizona 2 Divisional Titles (2/11)
St Louis 1 Divisional Title (2/11)

Did you know 65% (21) of NFL Teams have played in at least one Conference Championship Game in the past 11 campaigns?

Here is the list:
New England 6
Philadelphia 4
Pittsburgh 4
Baltimore 3
Indianapolis 3
Atlanta 2
Carolina 2
Chicago 2
Green Bay 2
New Orleans 2
NY Giants 2
NY Jets 2
San Francisco 2
Arizona 1
Denver 1
Minnesota 1
Oakland 1
San Diego 1
Seattle 1
Tampa Bay 1
Tennessee 1

Of the teams that have NOT won a Divisional title since..
DROUGHT YEARS:
Cleveland 23 (1989)
Detroit 19 (1993)
Buffalo 17 (1995)
Jacksonville 13 (1999)

Of the LOMBARDI Trophy homes from the past 11 campaigns:
New England Patriots 2
New York Giants 2
Pittsburgh Steelers 2
Baltimore Ravens 1
Green Bay Packers 1
Indianapolis Colts 1
New Orleans Saints 1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1

It's probably been done earlier in this thread but you can make similarities between AFL and NFL teams and choose the one that fits. The obvious is the eagles and eagles, the giants and giants and the saints and saints.

Forgot Lions and Lions.

If you were to stretch it a bit you could go Seahawks/Hawks, Ravens/Crows, Cats/any other Cat team (Panthers/Bengals).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot Lions and Lions.

If you were to stretch it a bit you could go Seahawks/Hawks, Ravens/Crows, Cats/any other Cat team (Panthers/Bengals).
And if we're really stretching:
Packers/Dockers
Bombers/Jets
Browns/Blues (Both plural colours even though the Browns were named after someone)

And if we're really stretching:
Packers/Dockers
Bombers/Jets
Browns/Blues (Both plural colours even though the Browns were named after someone)

Meanwhile...

Demons/Chiefs.
Goddammit.

Meanwhile...

Demons/Chiefs.
Goddammit.

That's an interesting one.. sacking coaches is definitely something they're got in common in recent times. ;)

Last HC the Chiefs who had a respectable W-L record was way back early-mid 2000's (2001-2004) with D. Vermeil. I believe Neale Daniher wasn't too shabby during his 10 years at the helm... I'd bank on the Chiefs draft picks to come on quicker than the Dees dartboard disasters.

That's an interesting one.. sacking coaches is definitely something they're got in common in recent times. ;)

Last HC the Chiefs who had a respectable W-L record was way back early-mid 2000's (2001-2004) with D. Vermeil. I believe Neale Daniher wasn't too shabby during his 10 years at the helm... I'd bank on the Chiefs draft picks to come on quicker than the Dees dartboard disasters.

There's the saviour hunt too - trading for a QB to 'save' the franchise/trading for players to save the side.

Everyone reading who is looking for a team. Pick Dallas. You know you want to. Jerry, Miles and Tony. Can't go wrong.
Good ploy, only those with no familiarity with the game would buy into that statement.

Quality read.

Vikings bulldogs... Can be competitive but never quiet make it

The same sort of record in the 2nd to last game of the season too.

Appearances on the biggest stage of all fast becoming distant memories. I'd say it's spot on. Though right now one is significantly more competitive than the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back