NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

The NFL have an official website (http://www.nfl-360.com/pick-team) to help you pick a team (not sure if it has been mentioned). I had a play with it to see if it could correctly get the Giants for me and it did...

Sports Match: Washington Redskins
Locker Room: Indianapolis Colts
Gut Instinct: New York Giants

Picked the Panthers halfway through this year, half in help to people in here & my mates.

Got myself the Gamepass and honestly, 3am Monday morning is quickly becoming my favourite time of the week. Even though we had the bye this week I was still up watching.

Loving it!! :thumbsu:

I can't believe the volume of people who get indoctrinated into the Pats

It's crazy. What's with that?

If all my mates went for the same team, I wouldn't pick that team. If anything, I'd pick their main rival.

I have always identified as a Dolphins fan (i basically follow all Miami teams, no idea why, but always liked the Heat, Phins, Marlins and even the Panthers) i only really follow the NFL of all those sports. In any event i'm really liking Carolina at the moment, could be the Newton factor or a combo of a few things (Miami having been pretty shit for a while). I'm still a Miami fan but i'm finding myself preferring to watch the Panthers.

I have always identified as a Dolphins fan (i basically follow all Miami teams, no idea why, but always liked the Heat, Phins, Marlins and even the Panthers) i only really follow the NFL of all those sports. In any event i'm really liking Carolina at the moment, could be the Newton factor or a combo of a few things (Miami having been pretty shit for a while). I'm still a Miami fan but i'm finding myself preferring to watch the Panthers.

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the roller coaster!

Been following NFL for about two weeks. Knew nothing about it until I decided to download Madden on my iPad. Friends of mine from Boston used to try and win me over, but I'd never really be interested.

After watching a bunch of games on ESPN, I love it. I still don't know who any of the players are, or the rules for that matter - but I understand the basic concept and I'll continue to learn. All of my friends who are into NFL barrack for the Patriots, so I thought I might as well give it a shot. (Online team picker gave me the Patriots 2/3 times).

Finally a sport to follow in the AFL off season!

EXACTLY what I found with the AFL. I love baseball during the summer (here) but it's the only time when there's only one sport going on. Need more. Add the AFL.....and Bang! Gives me something to look forward to every Friday/Saturday morning (well, depending on game times). Love it.

As for the NFL, it's really become a one dimensional (passing) game. Back in the day, running backs were a much bigger factor. Still a good game though. But as you're watching learning it, feel free to ask questions here. There are TONS of experts to help out (just don't ask which college team to pick....lotta' bad advice there). And the NFL team you chose may not be the most popular (because they won a lot)....but they have a recent history (last 20 years) of excellence that no team can match. No team replaces their aging stars better than New England. Good luck and enjoy!

Hey. As you probably understand from my username, I am not looking for a team to follow (Detroit Lions FTW). However I am new to the sport and this will be my first real season where I actually follow the sport with more than a passing interest. Hope to learn a lot while I'm here and contribute what I can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey. As you probably understand from my username, I am not looking for a team to follow (Detroit Lions FTW). However I am new to the sport and this will be my first real season where I actually follow the sport with more than a passing interest. Hope to learn a lot while I'm here and contribute what I can.

Lions, eh? I have a lot of friends in Michigan and they all like the Lions.....but all have a "favorite" team in addition. Yes, they're that bad. Since I've been on this earth (1965), they've won exactly TWO playoff games (1970 and 1991). So don't count on any glory any time soon. Pretty gutty going with Detroit, though. Nobody will ever accuse you of being a front-runner. Actually, the Lions swing from being awful to 3 or 4 players away from making the playoffs. But they've never been a "good" team...in the modern era. So good luck (and find a team 1A)!

Lions, eh? I have a lot of friends in Michigan and they all like the Lions.....but all have a "favorite" team in addition. Yes, they're that bad. Since I've been on this earth (1965), they've won exactly TWO playoff games (1970 and 1991).

Yep, hard luck story team. They made the Play-offs another FIVE times in the 90's after their last Conf Championship appearance of '91 to go one & done (0-5) :( << gotta feel it for their long suffering fans.

Ten consecutive losing seasons from 2001 to 2010. Made the play-offs as a Wildcard in 2011 but 28 points wasn't enough as the New Orleans Saints branded them with a 40 burger.

Lions need to work on building their D like the Browns are doing now. It's all about limiting the big plays is why the Browns are 3-2.

I've gotten into NFLthis year, wanted to pick a team but nothing felt right until I watched a couple of games of the....New York Jets! Goooooo Jets!

Poor you...

For a team that hasn't done a thing since Joe Namath was wearing bell bottom pants, the Jets seem to attract a lot of new support.

And this validates what I was saying before....Jets have character in HC/QB, unlike the Falcons. And no one picks the Falcons.

When Vick was a Falcon, pre-dog-fighting, did we even get new Falcons fans jumping on board? Maybe a couple? Which also may say something about how even beyond the HC/QB character appeal, there's just something about the Falcons/Atlanta that doesn't interest.

For a team that hasn't done a thing since Joe Namath was wearing bell bottom pants, the Jets seem to attract a lot of new support.

And this validates what I was saying before....Jets have character in HC/QB, unlike the Falcons. And no one picks the Falcons.

When Vick was a Falcon, pre-dog-fighting, did we even get new Falcons fans jumping on board? Maybe a couple? Which also may say something about how even beyond the HC/QB character appeal, there's just something about the Falcons/Atlanta that doesn't interest.

even in the nba no-one likes atlanta

i would say the city itself, especially over here in Australia, for a city it just doesnt seem to be all that interesting/inviting

for a new supporter i would say the thinking is:

New York city, california, texas, New Orleans and Florida are all areas/cities that initially get people to support their teams because thats what everyone knows - or pick someone my friends/family hate

after that there is the second tier of 'who is good/popular right now' - or which team do i love to watch

3rd tier - is indivudual players and or colours

Atlanta just doesnt appeal to anyone cause no-one really cares one way or the other, and it doesnt really fit into those categories,
yeah michael vick is arguably tier 2, but i would argue its closer to 3 and those aliances are rather fickle

Been following NFL for about two weeks. Knew nothing about it until I decided to download Madden on my iPad. Friends of mine from Boston used to try and win me over, but I'd never really be interested.

After watching a bunch of games on ESPN, I love it. I still don't know who any of the players are, or the rules for that matter - but I understand the basic concept and I'll continue to learn. All of my friends who are into NFL barrack for the Patriots, so I thought I might as well give it a shot. (Online team picker gave me the Patriots 2/3 times).

Finally a sport to follow in the AFL off season!

I chose my team based on colours, success (not dominating good but not downright terrible at the time), and they had to be a rival of the Panthers

pantskyle, I thought you were cool. :thumbsdown:

The NFL have an official website (http://www.nfl-360.com/pick-team) to help you pick a team (not sure if it has been mentioned). I had a play with it to see if it could correctly get the Giants for me and it did...

Sports Match: Washington Redskins
Locker Room: Indianapolis Colts
Gut Instinct: New York Giants

Never seen that before. I got:

Sports Match: Packers
Locker Room: Chargers
Gut Instinct: Steelers

even in the nba no-one likes atlanta

i would say the city itself, especially over here in Australia, for a city it just doesnt seem to be all that interesting/inviting

for a new supporter i would say the thinking is:

New York city, california, texas, New Orleans and Florida are all areas/cities that initially get people to support their teams because thats what everyone knows - or pick someone my friends/family hate

after that there is the second tier of 'who is good/popular right now' - or which team do i love to watch

3rd tier - is indivudual players and or colours

Atlanta just doesnt appeal to anyone cause no-one really cares one way or the other, and it doesnt really fit into those categories,
yeah michael vick is arguably tier 2, but i would argue its closer to 3 and those aliances are rather fickle

You're right about the Falcons. Sort of a non-descript team....same goes for the NBA's Hawks. Last time anyone paid attention to them was when they had Domonique Wilkins. But Atlanta itself is pretty nice. Great weather, friendly people, some geography, damn good food, great looking women (it's in the South, after all), and really, the sports capital of the Southeast. Many big games/tournaments are played there. So much more than Falcons/Hawks.

Juss......the NY Jets? Interesting pick......I like it. You'll certainly never be called a bandwagoner (like NE fans).....and the Jets do in fact have some recent success, making the AFC Championship game in 2009 and 2010. Just a win from the Super Bowl. Not many teams can say that. This year? Flip a coin and that's the team you'll get week to week (wait.....most of the NFL is like that). Best thing about the Jets.........their fans that pack the hall where they NFL Draft is carried. Almost a game-like atmosphere and they'll boo/cheer the team's picks (which is usually a high 1st rounder).

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back