NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right about the Falcons. Sort of a non-descript team....same goes for the NBA's Hawks. Last time anyone paid attention to them was when they had Domonique Wilkins. But Atlanta itself is pretty nice. Great weather, friendly people, some geography, damn good food, great looking women (it's in the South, after all), and really, the sports capital of the Southeast. Many big games/tournaments are played there. So much more than Falcons/Hawks.

Juss......the NY Jets? Interesting pick......I like it. You'll certainly never be called a bandwagoner (like NE fans).....and the Jets do in fact have some recent success, making the AFC Championship game in 2009 and 2010. Just a win from the Super Bowl. Not many teams can say that. This year? Flip a coin and that's the team you'll get week to week (wait.....most of the NFL is like that). Best thing about the Jets.........their fans that pack the hall where they NFL Draft is carried. Almost a game-like atmosphere and they'll boo/cheer the team's picks (which is usually a high 1st rounder).

If there's one thing I've learnt about the sport in my short time following it, it's this. Such a rollercoaster sport. You're so right about the Jets too, will not fire a shot and get absolutely hammered against the Bengals, next week beat the Saints.

even in the nba no-one likes atlanta

i would say the city itself, especially over here in Australia, for a city it just doesnt seem to be all that interesting/inviting

for a new supporter i would say the thinking is:

New York city, california, texas, New Orleans and Florida are all areas/cities that initially get people to support their teams because thats what everyone knows - or pick someone my friends/family hate

after that there is the second tier of 'who is good/popular right now' - or which team do i love to watch

3rd tier - is indivudual players and or colours

Atlanta just doesnt appeal to anyone cause no-one really cares one way or the other, and it doesnt really fit into those categories,
yeah michael vick is arguably tier 2, but i would argue its closer to 3 and those aliances are rather fickle

I lived in Atlanta for two years and really tried to like the city and the Falcons but I just couldn't do it. If I went back to the states to live I would go to NYC or the midwest.
I have been to 45 states and if I were to choose an NFL team purely on how much I liked the city I would be a Jets, Giants, Steelers, Colts, Bengals or Browns fan.

I'm a Packers fan. I'm not really into the NFL. Although I'm watching a game which I think is a replay of pittsburgh vs detroit? (sorry unsure) on foxsports 3

Why the Packers? Is Mike McCarthy your cousin?

How did people here decide on an NFL team?

I have started to get into NFL this year, i've always watched it here and there and have enjoyed watching teams like the Giants, 49ers, Saints, Texans.

I have mates who follow the Packers, Patriots and 49ers

I think it's time to pick a team - Any suggestions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already goes for Nets, might as well keep it in the region. Good sound advice.

Assuming that when you suggest another NY team you're talking about the Giants. :p

Why I used the word "region" ;)

Also, have more than enough Jets fans. Not enough Bills fans tho.

Hard to blame them though, lack of success, not exactly on TV often.

Hard to blame them though, lack of success, not exactly on TV often.
Same can be said of the Jets yet the Aussies supporting the Jets keep crawling out of the sewers.
The Bills were a fantastic team to follow in the 60's, 70's, and again 80's/90's. But where are the Aussie fans?

Same can be said of the Jets yet the Aussies supporting the Jets keep crawling out of the sewers.
The Bills were a fantastic team to follow in the 60's, 70's, and again 80's/90's. But where are the Aussie fans?

Jets are still on TV though, seems to be as much about watching them lose though as anything, can't remember the last time I saw the Bills playing one of the night games (admittedly we do have a Bills fan over on Bay 13).

The Jets also would have got a fair bit of exposure over here when they became the first team Ben Graham landed at too. I imagine the link to NYC helps as well.

It was kind of a coincidence that I became a Broncos fan, became a fan of the Denver Nuggets (NBA) and at the same time found out that my dad followed the Broncos so it worked out well to continue following both,

I got the jets for the OP's map thingy and then for the NFL 360 thing I got:

Patriots
Redskins
Texans

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back