NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's more to do with 'timing' when such individual cares to 'pipe up' (esp on these forums) when the team is winning. Bit of a give away. ;)

Case in point: The following list of Seattle fans on BF listed here from 2007, Seattle had won their fourth consecutive Division title in 2007…(builds up the numbers) BUT they dropped away in 2008 (4-12) but the point is that not many of these posters listed below have posted MUCH on the BF NFL threads…if anything after the Seahawks mediocre campaigns of 2008-09. Even in the last 12 months.. Why is that? o_O

NFCWest.gif
What do the Rams become when they move to LA?
Est 1946/2016?

Oh that's right, there are no Titans fans on this board :thumbsdown:

Everyone wants to be a Seahawks or Patriots fan :thumbsdown:

You know I have to finally come out and say this....football is football. It makes no difference if you're following it as a Titans or Seahawks fan. A Broncos or Cowboys fan. The EXPERIENCE of watching/following the sport doesn't change really. There are always highs and lows, over the course of a lifetime, do you get to see your team in the playoffs? Win a Lombardi? If you started following the Bills in the late 90's, for instance, you'd have never seen your team doing well. Barely made a playoff game, if any at all in that 20 years. Miserable? Why? Does everything have to hinge on "hey look at me, I follow a team that's winning, therefore I am a winner!" That kind of thinking is truly childish. It's not a truism. About the only thing you can say about taking on a team is like how a married couple end up looking/acting like each other. You take on traits into your personality that the football team/org projects. Example, Pittsburgh Steelers, tough blue collar town, hard-nosed community = hard-nosed team. I see often for instance fans of AFL teams from blue collar towns in Australia taking on more of an upper class team/personality like the Patriots, and suddenly their persona truly adopts THAT into the just as supported persona of a blue collar AFL team. If the person truly loves both sports and teams equally, you see this weird blend of blue collar + upper class personality mix, their persona a literal cocktail -- where the finished blend is evident in the AFL team board discussions as well as the NFL team thread discussions. Other times, you see it not become a cocktail, but more of a split-personality, as they don't truly love both sports/teams equally. So on the AFL team board they behave as per blue collar, but on the NFL team thread then flip and become more white collar. Or vice versa -- white collar in the AFL team board and blue collar in the NFL team thread.

If you're completely new to NFL or have been lurking as a follower for a few years without a team, I'd strongly encourage taking on a team that's currently not popularly followed in Australia or this board. Over time that will (might) change, but it's not like it's a life and death decision like choosing which superannuation fund or life insurance company you should take on. It's not ABOUT trying to find a team that 10-20 years from now you can look back on and say, "i chose a winner, therefore i am a winner," or, like choosing a team is akin to making a wager on a betting site, "hey i chose x team because i analyzed they will become a winner in y years, therefore i am a good predictor/bettor."

Simply, it's about having a team, any team, to just fly a color for, and getting beyond that quickly, so that you can INDULGE in the deeper side of football -- understanding the game, the tactics, the Xs and Os like a coach, knowing how to actually scout players, knowing WHY/HOW what makes a good player for a position on the field, etc, and getting into college and the NFL draft, following your chosen team's journey in the future scouting wars, etc.

Oh that's right, there are no Titans fans on this board :thumbsdown:

Everyone wants to be a Seahawks or Patriots fan :thumbsdown:

You know I have to finally come out and say this....football is football. It makes no difference if you're following it as a Titans or Seahawks fan. A Broncos or Cowboys fan. The EXPERIENCE of watching/following the sport doesn't change really. There are always highs and lows, over the course of a lifetime, do you get to see your team in the playoffs? Win a Lombardi? If you started following the Bills in the late 90's, for instance, you'd have never seen your team doing well. Barely made a playoff game, if any at all in that 20 years. Miserable? Why? Does everything have to hinge on "hey look at me, I follow a team that's winning, therefore I am a winner!" That kind of thinking is truly childish. It's not a truism. About the only thing you can say about taking on a team is like how a married couple end up looking/acting like each other. You take on traits into your personality that the football team/org projects. Example, Pittsburgh Steelers, tough blue collar town, hard-nosed community = hard-nosed team. I see often for instance fans of AFL teams from blue collar towns in Australia taking on more of an upper class team/personality like the Patriots, and suddenly their persona truly adopts THAT into the just as supported persona of a blue collar AFL team. If the person truly loves both sports and teams equally, you see this weird blend of blue collar + upper class personality mix, their persona a literal cocktail -- where the finished blend is evident in the AFL team board discussions as well as the NFL team thread discussions. Other times, you see it not become a cocktail, but more of a split-personality, as they don't truly love both sports/teams equally. So on the AFL team board they behave as per blue collar, but on the NFL team thread then flip and become more white collar. Or vice versa -- white collar in the AFL team board and blue collar in the NFL team thread.

If you're completely new to NFL or have been lurking as a follower for a few years without a team, I'd strongly encourage taking on a team that's currently not popularly followed in Australia or this board. Over time that will (might) change, but it's not like it's a life and death decision like choosing which superannuation fund or life insurance company you should take on. It's not ABOUT trying to find a team that 10-20 years from now you can look back on and say, "i chose a winner, therefore i am a winner," or, like choosing a team is akin to making a wager on a betting site, "hey i chose x team because i analyzed they will become a winner in y years, therefore i am a good predictor/bettor."

Simply, it's about having a team, any team, to just fly a color for, and getting beyond that quickly, so that you can INDULGE in the deeper side of football -- understanding the game, the tactics, the Xs and Os like a coach, knowing how to actually scout players, knowing WHY/HOW what makes a good player for a position on the field, etc, and getting into college and the NFL draft, following your chosen team's journey in the future scouting wars, etc.

As an American who picked up the AFL a couple years ago and barracks for the Suns, I agree. The Titans though, yeesh. There's nothing exciting at all about that team. It's not just bigfooty. It's a running joke in the states that the Titans don't actually exist and are a government conspiracy.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/08/football-mysteries-the-tennessee-titans.html

As an American who picked up the AFL a couple years ago and barracks for the Suns, I agree. The Titans though, yeesh. There's nothing exciting at all about that team. It's not just bigfooty. It's a running joke in the states that the Titans don't actually exist and are a government conspiracy.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/08/football-mysteries-the-tennessee-titans.html
Titans are the most nondescript team, true. They're like a pound dog nobody loves :(

Really?
More relevant than Jacksonville?
That's one of 3 franchises I feel are in the wrong spot.

If you a docker support vikings all da way! PURPLE N WHITE!
But it's got yellow.
And the purple is really close to a navy blue.
So much WCE in them ;)

Jacksonville is notable for being a colossal **** up. They're like St. Kilda. Tennessee has nothing. Never hilariously bad, never good. They're just there.

Or, apparently not, going by the link you posted earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon of all the people I've met, who had an interest in the NFL (Consider that I've played in the local league here as well). The Titans are the second most frequent answer, when I ask them what team they follow. GB is first, by a fair margin.

Can I speak on behalf of the bandwagoners.

I have been a very casual fan of the NFL over 15 years, and really only watched the big games. If put on the spot, I'd say 'my' team was either the Cowboys (because Im a Mavs fan) or Green Bay (because of how their community feel represents North for me).

Having gotten Madden over the past 2 years, Ive been watching a heap more NFL. Ive taken a massive liking for Seattle. I love watching Lynch run and Wilson play the QB position. I love mobile QB's. I follow their scores live or watch whenever I can.

Now I wont call myself a supporter yet. I'll need to see in 3 years time when Lynch is gone, and maybe the team wont be as good.

So, absolutely point out the bandwagoners, but be mindful we've all had to find a team at some point.

I understand if you are a semi-supporter and you don't really care that much.

It's people that hop on the bandwagon and then act like heroes that do my head in. Let's see how much you care when you get flogged

I reckon of all the people I've met, who had an interest in the NFL (Consider that I've played in the local league here as well). The Titans are the second most frequent answer, when I ask them what team they follow. GB is first, by a fair margin.

I started following NFL in 09 and at the time, OneHD played quite a few Titans games. They are actually the first team I remember seeing play (vs Denver I think). If these fans have followed for longer, then they must be aliens. No other explanation.

I started following NFL in 09 and at the time, OneHD played quite a few Titans games. They are actually the first team I remember seeing play (vs Denver I think). If these fans have followed for longer, then they must be aliens. No other explanation.
Steve McNair is was a popular player, and the late-90s/early-00s were good teams.

I understand if you are a semi-supporter and you don't really care that much.

It's people that hop on the bandwagon and then act like heroes that do my head in. Let's see how much you care when you get flogged

Timing is everything. Had to explain to ******** that yet he FAILED to comprehend regardless of him grandstanding like he was there from the get-go… :rolleyes:

I recall giving SEVERAL Pats fans plenty of grilling in the early 2000's… perhaps some posters like GG can recall my own self-maufactured memes like these ones:

draftwatch.jpg

bandwagon.jpg

Yesterday was the first NFL game I've watched in full and I absolutely loved it. Need a team, seeing as I go for Portland in the NBA, are there any teams in that area to follow?

If not I'll probably go for Arizona, just cause..
8dWiaVJ.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back