Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Jets have allowed 175 points in their last four games

by Josh Alper on November 14, 2021, 6:12 PM EST

The Jets got stomped 45-17 by the Bills on Sunday and the result continued an alarming trend for the team’s defense.

They have allowed 175 points in their four games since the bye, which Rich Cimini of ESPN.com notes is the second-most allowed by any team over a four-game span since the NFL/AFL merger. The 2004 Titans allowed 177 points over a similarly foul stretch.

During this stretch, the Jets have allowed at least 45 points three times. There have only been seven cases of teams scoring 45 points in a game all season and they are the first team to do so three times in a four-game stretch since the 1966 Giants.

The offense didn’t help by turning the ball over five times against Buffalo, but head coach Robert Saleh said that the team’s defensive product “clearly hasn’t been good enough” and there remains much to fix around the Jets in Saleh’s first season on the sideline.

Jets head coach Robert Saleh said the team's quarterback situation would resolve itself "organically."
Former Jets legend Mike White was exposed in Week 10 by a Buffalo defense that took away the short passes that had made White so effective in five quarters as the team's starter following Zach Wilson's Week 8 knee injury. The Bills picked off White four times as the undrafted free agent completed 24 of his 44 passes for 251 yards in a 45-17 drubbing. "White could've earned another start with a respectable game, but now it seems like the only way he plays next Sunday against the Miami Dolphins is if Wilson's sprained right knee isn't deemed ready by the medical staff," ESPN's Rich Cimini said. Saleh was noncommittal about the Jets' QB situation after the loss to Buffalo, saying Wilson is still "dealing with stuff" almost three weeks after injuring his PCL. Probably Wilson will get the Week 11 nod against the Dolphins if he's cleared by the medical staff. Neither Jets QB is a fantasy option.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Nov 15, 2021, 4:11 PM ET

Rex Ryan on Robert Saleh: “Don’t ever compare this guy to me”

Posted by Mike Florio on November 15, 2021, 11:55 AM EST

The Jets got as close as they’ve ever been to the Super Bowl with Rex Ryan at the helm, making it to two straight AFC Championship games. Since then, it’s been a carousel of dysfunction for the Jets, and the latest edition is no better than the rest.

Over the last four games, the Jets have surrendered 175 points, two short of the worst four-game stretch since the merger.

Ryan has something to say about the Jets and their new coach, former 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.

“I look at it as this defense is abysmal,” Ryan recently said on an ESPN podcast, via SNY. “Bart [Scott] was telling that to me, ‘Oh no, their defense is playing hard.’ I’m like what? No they don’t. This is a horrendous defense. Now they’re going to use, ‘Well now we didn’t have our safety.’ So what? Everybody has a million injuries let alone above average safety you’re missing. I remember playing without five corners. It never looked like this. We were fifth in the league in defense that year.”

Ryan saved his harshest criticism for Saleh.

“This guy was supposed to be a defensive guru,” Ryan said. “I heard everything and I take it personal on this one. Everything I’ve heard about was, well this guy’s a lot like myself, but without the bad part. Yeah, well some of the bad part you need because this team doesn’t play with any damn heart. That’s the thing that’s disappointing to me. Don’t ever compare this guy to me, this Robert Saleh to me.”

We can’t recall many/any comparisons between Ryan and Saleh. Ryan wants to be sure that, to the extent it ever has happened, it never happens again.

“Four out of five years the 49ers were dead last in their division,” Ryan said. “So he’s going to be dead last again, so he’s used to that. So to me, I’m a little pissed off about it that this guy, his background’s a lot like yours. No it isn’t, no it isn’t. . . . Quit trying to tell the New York fan base that he’s going to be like me as a defensive-minded guy or whatever. I had a clue how to handle a rookie quarterback. I also never got my butt kicked like this in a four-game stretch ever. . . . Never made excuse and never put a product out there like this.”

Of course, Ryan inherited a pretty good team, one that went 9-7 the year before he arrived. Saleh, in contrast, inherited one of the worst rosters in the league, and many are starting to wonder when G.M. Joe Douglas is going to be held accountable for the current state of the team.

This doesn’t mean Douglas should be fired. Unless ownership is willing to press the reset button now, it serves no purpose to hire a G.M. who eventually will want to hire his own coach. Fire both or keep both. It currently makes sense to give them both one more year.

Ryan, clearly, would fire both now. Or, perhaps more accurately, he would fire Saleh and hire himself.

That’s likely where most of this is coming from. The hubris that made Ryan a good coach hasn’t evaporated. And that makes him think he’d do better than Saleh as the coach of the team — if Woody Johnson would ever take a page from the Steinbrenner playbook and put the team back in charge of someone he previously fired.

One thing is for certain. If Ryan ever came back to coach the Jets again, things would definitely be interesting in New York and throughout the NFL.

Robert Saleh on Rex Ryan: He knows where to find me, he’s always got something to say

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 15, 2021, 4:36 PM EST

Jets coach Robert Saleh responded today to the harsh criticism former Jets coach Rex Ryan doled out on ESPN.

“I’ve never met Rex. I’ve never had a conversation with Rex. I don’t even know him, except for people who know him throughout the league. Obviously, if it’s that personal for him, he knows where to find me,” Saleh said on the Michael Kay Show.

Ryan ripped into Saleh for the Jets’ poor defensive performance and suggested that he was insulted even to be mentioned in the same sentence as Saleh, saying, “Don’t ever compare this guy to me, this Robert Saleh to me.” Saleh said he wasn’t surprised by Ryan’s comments.

“I’m not surprised by him. He’s always got something to say,” Saleh said.

The only way for Saleh to silence criticism is to get his team playing better. With recent losses by scores of 54-13 to the Patriots, 45-30 to the Colts and 45-17 to the Bills, you don’t have to be a loudmouth like Rex Ryan to have something to say about Saleh’s defense.

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports that the Jets plan to start Joe Flacco against the Dolphins in Week 11.
Zach Wilson is reportedly still not 100%. Although one gets the sense that the Jets might be willing to let Wilson test his knee if they had faith in his arm. Flacco's experience is what reportedly got him the nod, with the Jets facing a blitz-heavy Miami defense. The bigger surprise isn't Wilson sitting, but that Flacco was tapped to start over Mike White. White is coming off a meltdown against the league's best defense, but in leading the Jets to a shocking victory against the Bengals he showed an ability to keep the offense on track that the Jets have been lacking all season. Flacco should be viewed as a downgrade for Michael Carter, who had been feasting on White check-down passes. Flacco is at least an upgrade for Corey Davis, who is now the favorite to lead Week 11 in prayer yards.
SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Nov 17, 2021, 10:03 AM E

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports that the Jets plan to start Joe Flacco against the Dolphins in Week 11.
Zach Wilson is reportedly still not 100%. Although one gets the sense that the Jets might be willing to let Wilson test his knee if they had faith in his arm. Flacco's experience is what reportedly got him the nod, with the Jets facing a blitz-heavy Miami defense. The bigger surprise isn't Wilson sitting, but that Flacco was tapped to start over Mike White. White is coming off a meltdown against the league's best defense, but in leading the Jets to a shocking victory against the Bengals he showed an ability to keep the offense on track that the Jets have been lacking all season. Flacco should be viewed as a downgrade for Michael Carter, who had been feasting on White check-down passes. Flacco is at least an upgrade for Corey Davis, who is now the favorite to lead Week 11 in prayer yards.
SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Nov 17, 2021, 10:03 AM E

F***ing hell

Ryan: I talked to Robert Saleh, he’s got a great plan for the Jets

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 21, 2021, 10:53 AM EST

The war of words between Jets coach Robert Saleh and former Jets coach Rex Ryan has come to an end.

After Ryan bashed Saleh this week and Saleh fired back, the two talked privately. And Ryan said this morning on ESPN that he now thinks highly of Saleh and thinks the Jets are heading in the right direction.
“I was blown away by the guy,” Ryan said. “He’s got a direction for this football team. I’m telling you, Jets fans, the more I talked to him, the more impressed I was with Robert Saleh. I became a fan of his. Taking my call and all that speaks volumes about him. But it was more about, we put that stuff behind us. But it was about the future of this team, and I’m just telling you something, this guy’s got a great plan and I think they got it right.”

It’s been an ugly start to Saleh’s tenure with the Jets, and their defense looks like the worst in the NFL right now. But at least Saleh no longer has to worry about a very loud critic in Ryan.

Ryan: I talked to Robert Saleh, he’s got a great plan for the Jets

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 21, 2021, 10:53 AM EST

The war of words between Jets coach Robert Saleh and former Jets coach Rex Ryan has come to an end.

After Ryan bashed Saleh this week and Saleh fired back, the two talked privately. And Ryan said this morning on ESPN that he now thinks highly of Saleh and thinks the Jets are heading in the right direction.
“I was blown away by the guy,” Ryan said. “He’s got a direction for this football team. I’m telling you, Jets fans, the more I talked to him, the more impressed I was with Robert Saleh. I became a fan of his. Taking my call and all that speaks volumes about him. But it was more about, we put that stuff behind us. But it was about the future of this team, and I’m just telling you something, this guy’s got a great plan and I think they got it right.”

It’s been an ugly start to Saleh’s tenure with the Jets, and their defense looks like the worst in the NFL right now. But at least Saleh no longer has to worry about a very loud critic in Ryan.

Rex Ryan is such a blowhard god love him. At least he has the balls to come out and admit he flew off the handle haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Saleh: Jets usually try quick fixes, this is an actual plan

Posted by Josh Alper on November 23, 2021, 9:45 AM EST

It’s the first year that Robert Saleh is the head coach of the Jets, but the team is in a familiar position after 10 games.

At 2-8, the Jets are on track to miss the playoffs for the 11th straight year and finish with a losing record for the sixth straight year. Given that history, patience from the team’s fans for signs of progress is short but head coach Robert Saleh still asked for it at a Monday press conference.

Saleh said that he and General Manager Joe Douglas are aligned on “a really, really concise plan on how to build from the ground up” and that he feels that’s a departure from past Jets teams that tried to flip things around overnight.

“I respect the heck out of the urgency from the fans and the wanting to flip this thing, but in fairness, this is the first time this fan base is actually experiencing something like this,” Saleh said. “Usually it’s been a quick fix, followed by a scramble. This is an actual plan.”

Saleh cited the Cardinals going from having the first overall pick in 2019 to their current spot atop the NFC playoff picture as an example of how a plan can pay off. Signs of growth over the final seven games will make those kinds of comparisons an easier sell for a team that has spent years buried in the basement of the AFC East.

Good to get a win though haven't seen the game other than what was shown on Redzone. Wilson still yet to prove it to me, looked very shaky a couple of times especially the turnover where he threw into the RBs back and even the downfield pass in the final (?) quarter wasn't exactly a tight spiral. I want him to succeed but I haven't seen much to show me he will yet.

He genuinely looks scared of turning the ball over out there right now, holding onto the ball too long cause hes waiting for guys to get open rather than throwing them open.

Lost all the instinct and confidence in his game. Hope he can get it back but hes a mile off it right now.

Joe Blewitt reckons Zach is easily last in terms of an ability to hit a slant route out of group between Sanchez, Geno Smith and Darnold. If he cant improve that by the end of the year hes got no hope moving forward.

Blewitt also said "Zach is better than Christian Hackenberg but he doesn't count, Hackenberg couldn't play catch in a parking lot" :tearsofjoy:

Well worth a listen, first 25 minutes or so.

Joe Blewitt reckons Zach is easily last in terms of an ability to hit a slant route out of group between Sanchez, Geno Smith and Darnold. If he cant improve that by the end of the year hes got no hope moving forward.

Blewitt also said "Zach is better than Christian Hackenberg but he doesn't count, Hackenberg couldn't play catch in a parking lot" :tearsofjoy:

Well worth a listen, first 25 minutes or so.

Wow Sanchez, Geno and Darnold very esteemed company there! If those guys are even in the same discussion as Wilson then he's got no hope

SNY's Jeane Coakley reports the Jets cut K Matt Ammendola.
The Ammendola era in New York ends after six misses on 19 field goal attempts through Week 12. He made only five of his nine kicks of more than 40 yards this season. Alex Kessman will start for the Jets Sunday against the Eagles. He's not a fantasy option.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeane Coakley on Twitter
Dec 4, 2021, 4:08 PM ET

SNY's Jeane Coakley reports the Jets cut K Matt Ammendola.
The Ammendola era in New York ends after six misses on 19 field goal attempts through Week 12. He made only five of his nine kicks of more than 40 yards this season. Alex Kessman will start for the Jets Sunday against the Eagles. He's not a fantasy option.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeane Coakley on Twitter
Dec 4, 2021, 4:08 PM ET

Will be his first and last game. Shanked his first two extra points.

Wilson better today, still missing some throws he should make but he at least he looked somewhat like an NFL QB.

Will be his first and last game. Shanked his first two extra points.

Wilson better today, still missing some throws he should make but he at least he looked somewhat like an NFL QB.
Ammendola sucked. Soon as I signed him in Empire set his destiny. Their new kicker today went 0/2 on PATs as well. Reckon he'll also be cut.

Ammendola sucked. Soon as I signed him in Empire set his destiny. Their new kicker today went 0/2 on PATs as well. Reckon he'll also be cut.

Yea, my post wasn't very clear looking back on it, but I was refrerring to Kessman's performance today.

Jets signed K Eddy Pineiro.
The Jets will keep changing kickers until morale improves. In his first game as New York's kicker, Alex Kessman shanked two extra points in the Jets' Week 13 loss to the Eagles. There was no way Kessman was going to get another shot in Week 14 against the Saints. The veteran Pineiro made 82.1 percent of his field goal tries in 2019 for Chicago. He's not fantasy relevant.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 6, 2021, 11:30 AM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back