Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports Jets general manager Joe Douglas has been "gushing" about Arkansas WR Treylon Burks.​

Pauline said Burks, who is 6'2" and 225 pounds and ran a 4.55 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, is the top wideout on the Jets' draft board. "Whether or not Burks’ subpar Combine performance changes that ranking remains to be seen," Pauline said. "Not only did Burks test poorly, but he did not look good in position drills." Burks, fresh off an 1,104-yard, 12-touchdown season at Arkansas, would make for an intriguing addition to a receiver room with Elijah Moore. The Jets have two top-10 draft picks.

SOURCE: ProFootballNetwork.com
Mar 5, 2022, 2:43 PM ET

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports the Jets have been turned down by several free agents this offseason.​

An NFL executive told Sando that the Jets "were in on a ton of guys and got nobody," including Tyreek Hill, who chose the Dolphins over the Jets when Kansas City granted him permission to seek a trade in March. “They don’t have a selling point to players right now," the executive said. "People don’t know what to think of Zach Wilson, players don’t necessarily covet playing in that market, and guys who have choices tend to wind up elsewhere. They are in this weird purgatory.” New York this offseason has signed second and third-tier free agents like Tyler Conklin, C.J. Uzomah, G Laken Tomlinson, and S Jordan Whitehead while failing to land a splash free agency signing despite plenty of cap space. An improved performance from Zach Wilson in 2022 would go a long way in luring big-name free agents to the Jets next offseason. It would be exceedingly difficult for Wilson to be worse than he was as a rookie.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 11, 2022, 8:19 AM ET

NY's tax rate I think is more the issue. One of the highest in the US. Players dont want to play for a team with a high tax rate unless they know they can win a superbowl. Going to have to build through the draft or heavily overpay.

NY's tax rate I think is more the issue. One of the highest in the US. Players dont want to play for a team with a high tax rate unless they know they can win a superbowl. Going to have to build through the draft or heavily overpay.

Yep, and Florida doesn't have a state personal income tax, so Hill will only have to pay federal income tax on home games in Miami, whereas he would have paid both federal and state personal income tax on home games in New Jersey.

I'm sure that the Jets' historic record and the questions about Wilson have a part to play in discouraging potential free agents to come to New York, but (except for Hill) Joe Douglas hasn't really shown an inclination to sign or trade for high-priced players anyway. Up to now, he's been signing those "second and third tier" free agents. His predecessor splashed the cash on Le'Veon Bell and CJ Mosley and they did SFA for the Jets.

Can see why jets dont want him anymore.

Today will say a lot about how the Jets see Becton moving forward. If the Jets draft an offensive lineman with the fourth overall pick, then it's likely that Becton is either traded or moved to right tackle. If the Jets pass on an offensive lineman early in the draft, then the Jets are comfortable giving him another year at left tackle and seeing if he can get back to where he was in 2020.

Just read elsewhere that the Raiders are interested in trading for Becton, while there's also an unrelated article suggesting that Becton could be on the move to the Colts, Bears or Seahawks. Seems like Douglas is definitely kicking the tyres on a Becton trade.

Would the Jets even take a tackle if they do trade Becton? Fant was one of the best LT's in the league last year statistically.

Think he's a free agent at the end of this season and is a bit of a one-year wonder. Is going to ask for a lot of money (there are reports that the Jets and Fant have started talking contract extension). Douglas is the type of GM who would like to have options available in case an incumbent asks for more than what Douglas thinks he's worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't paid much attention to the lead up to this but our secondary play has been so bad in the past I don't have an issue (well, so has everything else)with this

Gardner is a good player, but I don't think spending free agent money on Whitehead and DJ Reed and then drafting another DB with your first pick in the draft is the right allocation of resources. There are pass rushers available later in the draft, but Thibs was clearly the best available pass rusher at pick 4, and there's a fair drop off to the next tier of pass rushers. I'm pretty disappointed in this pick, TBH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back