Port Adelaide
So...this year

We had improvements from

Wingard
Lobbe
Boak
Jonas
I would even say treggers
Ollie wines 1st year player but what an impact..
Westhoff
Oshea
Monfries

I reckon ollie and wingard still have gears left to go...still young though
I am hoping boak can consolidate on his terrific season
I am hoping brad can move into the elite catagory which I think he is capable of
Westhoff (see brad)

Players I have the blowtorch on who I seeing as vital to improve so we don't stagnate

Andrew moore...whatever his role is tagger midfield...he really must take another step next year...did he take a step this year..probably but it wasn't a huge one

Butch...a very very important piece of our puzzle...a lot of people on here will stick up for this guy ..but surely next year is crunch time for him...I worry about his kicking for goal I mean if he is kicking that bad all his life how can he improve on it now...

Aaron young...limited opportunity this year but next year could really put a stamp on his position...I am really excited about what he can do...if he can come on it will free up wingard too

Neade...I know he is still young..but boy this kid has talent to burn...we have been crying out for speed and a genuine crumbing forward if he can take the next step...boy what a bonus...

Hombsch...talented man...should really never been in and out of the team as much..but still has time...

Pittard.....this guy should take the next step..hopefully Its not defence...I have faith that he will be class

2014 is pretty much it for Butcher. Must have a complete preseason. No longer can be considered the "future". We must have contingency plans in case he doesn't make it.

Hartlett is the big one for me. After round 10, he at least had a consistently solid back half of the year, without breaking games apart. Whereas Boak and Wingard score As for this year and Ebert an A-, Hartlett has another B alongside his report card. However, the fact that he found a level of consistency late in the year augurs well for him. He has gone from being our best talent to about number five on our midfield list. Now is the time for potential to meet output.

Redden is the other biggie for obvious reasons, while time is running out for Newton and AhChee.

Gray - A full preseason, 12+ months since injury
Butcher - A full preseason for the first time
Lobbe - Has another level if he can improve around the ground
Trengove - Starting to reach age/experience profile where you'd expect him to be very good more often
Hartlett - Must achieve more consistency

Gray will show his brilliance next year. With a Burgess preseason under his belt, he'll ascend to the level of Boak and Wingard. He has just as much talent as Chad for mine.

Moore proved he belongs on an AFL list this year, and is in our best 22. Next year, he has to clean up his disposal and prove why he was a top ten draft pick. I think he can and will.

Redden needs to build up his fitness - needs to be able to swing from forward into ruck with Lobbe and vice versa.

Hartlett pretty much had a full AFL season without a soft tissue injury - the import of that is huge in comparison to when we were all worried about him doing a hamstring every time he hit the park. Now he's built some confidence in his body, Burgess might be able to increase his workload a little bit. Everyone else just seems more talented because they never had to worry about breaking down this year. Watch out for Hamish in 2014.

Shaw is the one for mine. Next year he'll be competing with Butcher at every level - SANFL, AFL and reserves. Which will be great for the development of both players. I think he might be the catalyst to ensure that Butcher is pushed to his potential.

Butcher is the big one. Getting him right is just so incredibly important for the gameplan and the structure of the team as a whole. A good year from him versus another year like this one could be worth an extra 3 or 4 wins over the season.

We need Gray and Hartlett to turn their undoubted talent into more consistent A-grade performances too. They've both had basically a full year this year, so there's no more injury or pre-season excuses for them next year. Redden needs to come on too, because Lobbe won't be able to keep his current standard if he has to ruck on his own for a full year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again, agree completely with Macca19
Desperately need support for Schulz, not just now but also as a replacement in the long term. It will be interesting to see how that works for us considering we have been fond of playing 2 extra defenders and how that will leave our forward line.

I'm not going to call it against Butch just yet, he's still pretty young and has been hampered by injuries. 6 shots at goal the other day is good (for only 1 goal though is obviously dodgy), and you just need to look around at how long it takes some KPPs to announce themselves to the league, with guys like Kennedy and Roughead the exceptions. Hopefully a Burgess-aided injury free pre-season will help him to become a regular best 22.
Shaw is younger again, and seems to have the same problem Walker did in his first few years of just not being interested unless the ball is served to him on a platter. Hopefully we can get some Tredders tutelage into him.
Redden will also provide great support up forward and in the ruck, especially with Lobster showing he can take a mark and kick a goal.

Obviously be nice to see Neade, Hombsch, Pittard, and Moore to step up another level, but they're more icing on the cake compared to our KPP batter.

I posted days ago I think it's easier to list the boys who won't improve and have reached their peak.

These are, P Stewart, Monfries, Boak, Cornes, Cassisi, Schulz, Logan and Westhoff.

Everyone else can improve markedly, which is a good thing for our list.

I just hope we can back up next season with another finals appearance rather than drop off, which I think we can achieve.

Some of you are expecting a 197cm player to be pushing for a permanent start in his 2nd year? Surely you jest?
Same with Butcher. He's got the body of a fetus and going into his third year. Give him some time.

You'll need the Pittard's, Stevenson's, Heath's and your young KPD's to have the greatest improvements if you want to stay up the pointy end of the ladder. A small goal-kicking forward to compliment Monfries and Schultz wouldn't go astray if Butcher doesn't lock himself into the best 22.

Some of you are expecting a 197cm player to be pushing for a permanent start in his 2nd year? Surely you jest?
Same with Butcher. He's got the body of a fetus and going into his third year. Give him some time.

You'll need the Pittard's, Stevenson's, Heath's and your young KPD's to have the greatest improvements if you want to stay up the pointy end of the ladder. A small goal-kicking forward to compliment Monfries and Schultz wouldn't go astray if Butcher doesn't lock himself into the best 22.

If you talking about Shaw, I would hope he is showing great improvement in the SANFL. If he's going to be a very good player. Butcher will be into his 4 season next year and needs to start showing something, he wasn't a rookie random pick, he was pick 8. I'm sure we are all prefacing he needs a full pre season to see what he can do. I'm sure he'll come good.

Butcher is the big one. Getting him right is just so incredibly important for the gameplan and the structure of the team as a whole. A good year from him versus another year like this one could be worth an extra 3 or 4 wins over the season.

Redden needs to come on too, because Lobbe won't be able to keep his current standard if he has to ruck on his own for a full year.

So much this. If Redden can get fitter and Butcher progress beyond his 2013 witches cone impersonations a forward line of Schulz and Butcher as our two permanent talls with Redden or Lobbe resting forward (to help minimise rotations next year) will be a nightmare to match up on.

Neade is the one I'm hoping can put on a bit of size this pre-season. Besides our (lack of) forward structure our most consistent weakness this year has been a lack of pace through the centre. He won't be up for full games at it yet, but if we can get Neade playing a quarter or so on one wing, that'd help. A fast player who for his size can avoid tackles and isn't afraid to make them. Get Pittard out of defense or Polec in on the other wing and our 'skill' of looking like we are running on the spot diminishes greatly.

Though for nearly all of them the ability to hit a target when not under pressure and take more marks definitely needs to be the team focus this pre-season. Our fitness and desire this year has masked to those outside the likes of us here who are obsessive how sub-standard the team has been. On a skills ladder from 1 to 18, we certainly weren't making the finals.

If you talking about Shaw, I would hope he is showing great improvement in the SANFL. If he's going to be a very good player. Butcher will be into his 4 season next year and needs to start showing something, he wasn't a rookie random pick, he was pick 8. I'm sure we are all prefacing he needs a full pre season to see what he can do. I'm sure he'll come good.
I'm sure Butcher will come good too, but you can't expect a skinny tall guy to be a dominant force so soon. They normally take 5 years to start becoming scary for the opposition if they're skinny builds.
In 2014 you would want him to play 15+ games and kick 25+ goals as a second KPF to Schultz.

Uneducated comment. Butcher put on a fair bit of size this year but had little preseason (running wise) and his hips never let him play at 100%. He's going into his FIFTH season. Definite crunch time.

What i would love to see
would love to see Moore get to about where Ebert is atm.
Redden to play more forward and kick around 20 goals
Hartlett to be more consistent
Butcher to kick 25 goals
Hopefully Polec can manage over 10 games or so as well.

Uneducated comment. Butcher put on a fair bit of size this year but had little preseason (running wise) and his hips never let him play at 100%. He's going into his FIFTH season. Definite crunch time.
Nah he's still tiny. I have done some community work with him this year multiple times including 2 wks ago and he's got tiny arms and legs like arms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next year...who are you hoping will step up to take us to the next level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back