Next Young Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

DogBites

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
Point Cook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Many of us think we have a talented list of young players.

Who do you think will rise above the rest to be the next gun player, lets say, match winners or ability to heavily influence games ( I was going to say possibly win a brownlow, but this would limit predictions to midfielders)?

In draft year order I rate the recent ones as Cooney (obviously) followed by Griffin (still a little way to go but at least showing a pleasing ability to perform in finals), Higgins and we are all excited with what Ward is showing.

But who is next, excluding these 4, there is either doubt or lack of exposure at the top level at this stage.

Interested in predictions - I'll go for Everitt, obviously doubts, but coming into his 4th season, its his time.

I haven't seen any of the new recruits in action so I can only pick from the main list. Outside your 4, my bet would be Harbrow, when he gets his hands on the leather he always does something exciting with it. The way he improved last year was amazing. Lets hope he keeps it up in 2010.

Although he didnt find much of the pill, I really like the look of Easton Wood in the few games he played, he showed good decision making and great disposal. With a bigger fitness base, more strength and more game time experience, I can see him being a star.

If unshackled by injury I would say Tom Williams. On the other hand my pick would be Sam Reid, I really like his style of play, his size and his presence.

howard will be the next big thing watched him play heeps for glenelg... i no people wernt happy about getting him but he will be a superstar u watch..but higgins will be our best player bye a mile

Higgins will go down as one of the greats imo, just has such class for a 21 yr old, and when hes up the team is. Not many players under 22 bar Buddy Franklin can relate to that.

Reckon after Johnno stands down, Boyd should be captain for a year, whilst they groom Higgler into the role. Missy will hopefully be our 4th Premeiership Captain :)

Easton Wood...

I am a big fan of his game, he is a powerful runner, can leap and has a great attack on the ball. I think his highlights package is going to look very impressive when he is finished.

Higgins will go down as one of the greats imo, just has such class for a 21 yr old, and when hes up the team is. Not many players under 22 bar Buddy Franklin can relate to that.

Reckon after Johnno stands down, Boyd should be captain for a year, whilst they groom Higgler into the role. Missy will hopefully be our 4th Premeiership Captain :)

yehh perfect call mate 100% agree with you there higgins will be the next big superstar, was having a a few words on the carlton board and couldnt belive it how they rekon gibbs is better then higgins what a joke hey!

Reid is one to watch, will be a contested ball animal.

Game 1 or 2, Wood was way out of position against Dean Cox and still managed an effective spoil. He has something.

Cordy will be a freak - not many 204cm guys who can rove packs are playing footy

If unshackled by injury I would say Tom Williams. On the other hand my pick would be Sam Reid, I really like his style of play, his size and his presence.

Would be huge for the team if we could rely on Williams to be an adequate performer at CHB for us. But does he count as a young gun? what age is he these days? 24?

Would love for Everitt and/or Hill to rise to the occasion ala Harbrow in 09.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, I was just having a look over your list after seeing this thread (love the look of some of the young fella's for the bulldogs) and they seem like an impressive bunch.

My observations (Purely from an outsiders point of view):

18 - 20 y.o's:

Ayce Cordy: A key to the bulldogs structure. After seeing him live (only one game I will admit), he showed me plenty to suggest that he may be able to form a formidable partnership with the ever growing Jordan Roughead and take the ruck combination to all new heights.

Andreas Everitt: I hope to see Everett released where he plays his best... on the wing. He is not physically dominant enough to play as a KPP and thus has struggled a little bit with the step up. I have seen a fair bit of him as he played Stingrays with some of my better mates and I like to follow the progress of local drafted players. Everitt always played KP forward or as a wingmen, hardly ever played down back, and I think this may be his problem here. Play him on the wing ala Adam McPhee or Matthew Pavlich and let him run wild.

Jarrad Grant: My player who I feel is going to be the biggest let down of his draft class. Drafted on the back of a very good season with the Stingrays but has been unable to recover any form since being struck down with various injuries throughout his time. A player who is trying to compete with to many other players (Higgins, Murphy, Akermanis etc). He may need to get a new trick to his book in order to get a look into the senior side.

Josh Hill: My man who I predict big things. I place him in the Shaun Higgins 'game breaker' mould where one good quarter from him and the game can get away from the opposition. I feel he has shown enough to suggest he can become a very very good player. As you all know, consistencey is now the key, if he can gain this, then the AFL is in for a show.

Matthew Panos: A player who has come to you with huge wraps on him, but ultimately, if he can get up and going and come off the rookie list, the Dogs forward half is looking in fine form for the future with Panos, Roughead/Cordy combination, Grant if ever he gets going, along with the experienced heads still around in 3 - 4 years Murphy, Higgins, Giansiracusa etc.

Jordan Roughead: Another player who really showed something the day I watched Williamstown. Took a couple of towering one grab pack marks and showed to me that he could be the bolter from the Dogs kennel. May even compete with Minson and Hudson for a senior berth if he can gain consistency and a more physical presence.

Callan Ward: My favorite young gun from the Dogs. Ward showed to me that he is going to be a superstar and that he is going to become part of the dogs own version of the awesome foursome along with Adam Cooney, Shaun Higgins, Daniel Cross and Himself. Tough, hard, uncompromising. What more could you ask of a youngster that was coming into his second season of AFL. He took his chances and played how many games last year? 22, mostly in the midfield. He showed plenty, especially in the Dogs round 12 match against Port Adelaide last year, where he had 33 disposals (mostly contested) but was stiff not to gain a rising star nomination for that game. This is my tip for the Bulldogs "Next Young Gun".

21 - 23 y.o's:

Dylan Addison: A solid player who is never going to be a superstar. Reminds me a bit of a David Johnson from Geelong, in which if required he comes into the seniors as cover for someone and will never look out of place. Still only 22, so plenty of time to prove me wrong.

Jarrad Harbrow: Another exciting player who could be anything. The switch to quarterback last year really exemplified his class with the pill. Although at times he looked lost, but that is understandable having played mainly forward or midfield your whole life. Reminds me a bit of Brisbanes Ash McGrath with his run and dash from behind the ball carrier who is not afraid to take the game on.

Shaun Higgins: Well, well, well. What do we say about Higgins? he can play! Showed to us all the hype that surround his return to the Bulldogs team. Another player who is seriously going to turn it on this year, although he may receive a bit more attention as the competition is now aware of his exploits.

Stephen Tiller: A player who has really impresses me. Tiller is not anything special bit he certainly exemplifies the bulldogs willingness to win and beat there opponent. He is never going to be a star, but do you have to when you play next to one of the best defenders in the league, Mr Brian Lake.

Lukas Markovic: I thought I would just add this guy in as I think he is a real bonus. He will be able to play when Williams is out, and do a handy job too. I even think he could become a 150 + games player. Someone who has had to work hard for this opportunity now it is up to him if he wants to succeed with the opportunity he has been given.

Ryan Griffen: Another player who is very "Iffy". Has the potential to be anything, but so far has faded in and out of seasons. Showed us all early last season what he could do, but then dropped off. With another pre season under his belt, he may finally be able to step up and play some serious football.

Tom Williams: A key to the Bulldogs futures. Williams if right is the last piece of the puzzle that is.. the Bulldogs backline. He is a very good player when on song, but has struggled so far with injuries as well all know but I think he coule become something quite special should he play 22 games in a season.

Liam Picken: Last but not least. Picken was a mature age rookie and shows why never giving up is the reason why you get reward for hard work. One of the most hard working players on your list IMO, he personafies that of a tagger, his willingness to run, and run and run. Do the team things, lay big tackles and will always put the team first. A special type of person, let alone player.

There you have it. Just my assumption of your up and comers. I have left out most of the rookies as I feel they have been scrutiinsed enough over the past two months, although adding my two cents about a couple I felt required to do whilst on topic. The core of the team is really starting to take shape, you just need some of the kids to take the next step up from regualr VFL to full time AFL. When they do, the AFL will certainly know about it.

Oh, and my tip as mentioned in the post is...

Callan Ward, he is going to be a superstar. Showed plenty as a 19/20 year old playing in a top 4 side that he can match it with the best and hold his own against men. Hopefully he can continue to develop and then show the comp why you took him in the first round as an underage kid.

Thanks

HFF_07 :thumbsu:

Good post, HFF_07! Agree with most of your analysis.

I really liked the way Easton Wood and Sam Reid went about it in 09.
Hard to split them as to which is the next up & comer. Love the way Wood takes 'em on, and Reid seems to be a cool head in traffic. Hopefully they'll both go on with it in 2010.

Of those who haven't yet played, the wraps on Ayce are enormous, and from the odd time I've seen him play, it's justified.

BTW, anyone seen Jamason Daniels play?

It's not quite as obvious as the last few seasons. For mine I'd say Wood. Has a great leap, takes on players and seems quite fast. Also not afraid to put the body on the line. Baring in mind his disposal can be a little bit iffy at times but if he can correct this issue I feel he could be an important cog in the team going forward.

Honourable mentions to Reid, Stack, Everitt.

I'd probably put Stack ahead of Wood if he could get more involved in the game. Seems to make things happen with the footy when he manages to find it.

Everitt's an interesting one. The reports that he is training quite well are encouraging signs as he has the talent to be a good player. I like him more as an attacking player than a defensive one though.

Reid IMO will be a more than handy player but probably won't break into becoming a star player. That being said I think he probably has more of a chance to become a regular player than some of the others I've mentioned.

Good post, HFF_07! Agree with most of your analysis.

I really liked the way Easton Wood and Sam Reid went about it in 09.
Hard to split them as to which is the next up & comer. Love the way Wood takes 'em on, and Reid seems to be a cool head in traffic. Hopefully they'll both go on with it in 2010.

Of those who haven't yet played, the wraps on Ayce are enormous, and from the odd time I've seen him play, it's justified.

BTW, anyone seen Jamason Daniels play?
Hey GDB, must agree with you HFF 07's post was a good read, I also agree with quite a bit of it.
Re Wood and Reid, if they can continue to develop in 10 on top of their 09 improvement they could be interesting inclusions.
Now young Jamason D. I have seen most of his games. He always seemed to be on the come back from one minor injury or another, and found it difficult to string games together unfortunately, as that is needed to develop a young kids game. He is lightning quick, very courageous in and under packs, but his disposal needs a bit of work. That said, he seems a good young lad, and the fact that the club kept him on the list suggests both that they see his potential, and that he is having a go at training. Hopefully he can have an injury free year this year and make people sit up and take notice.

Enjoyed you write up HFF 07. It's great when opposition supporters can give a level appraisal. Personally, I am excited about the Ace Man - I can't wait to see him out there in the rwb - hopefully the NAB cup he will get a game.

Higgins, is one of those players who will just keep going from strength to strength. He is like a combination of a young Cousins and Johno:)

Really like Josh Hill from what I've seen, which admittedly isn't a hell of a lot. Was surprised when he was out of favour at the end of last season.

What does he have to do to take the next step?

He needs to increase his intensity especially when he doesn't have the ball. Josh has some serious talent, but looks quite laconic in his defensive actions which tends to look like he isn't trying all that hard. When (If) this improves he has the tools to become a very good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Young Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back