Next Young Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs to increase his intensity especially when he doesn't have the ball. Josh has some serious talent, but looks quite laconic in his defensive actions which tends to look like he isn't trying all that hard. When (If) this improves he has the tools to become a very good player.
You are better connected than I am Pigdog but I am mystified by this - I thought he had one of the higher tackle counts in the side. Can anyone confirm?
I thought it was more about getting his head over the ball and putting his body on the line, especially after he supposedly squibbed out of a hard contest on one occasion just after half time (I missed it so I'm only going on reports). Perhaps it's only a subtle difference but I thought he did chase and tackle reasonably well. Is this correct?

You are better connected than I am Pigdog but I am mystified by this - I thought he had one of the higher tackle counts in the side. Can anyone confirm?
I thought it was more about getting his head over the ball and putting his body on the line, especially after he supposedly squibbed out of a hard contest on one occasion just after half time (I missed it so I'm only going on reports). Perhaps it's only a subtle difference but I thought he did chase and tackle reasonably well. Is this correct?

I dont think his defensive efforts are terrible, but probably like most younger players, he could lift his work rate, and he has no impact footy skills whatsoever. Looking at it offensively, he always always keeps his feet in a contest, which is great if he traps the ball (as he can) but looks terrible if he doesnt.

The good thing that i see about these young guns and yes we might be over rating them but things are looking good when you lok at.

we have two big Ruckman who by all reports could both be top ten ruckman in years too come, in Cordy and Roughead.

our Spine is also looking good with Grant Everitt Williams Boumann??? Pantos Jones ect all under 25

and then Higgins and Ward are going to be the out and out superstars with Cooney and Griffen.

with Hill Reid Wood Stack Addison even Libber and Wallis add midfield depth

times are looking good

Many of us think we have a talented list of young players.

Who do you think will rise above the rest to be the next gun player, lets say, match winners or ability to heavily influence games ( I was going to say possibly win a brownlow, but this would limit predictions to midfielders)?

In draft year order I rate the recent ones as Cooney (obviously) followed by Griffin (still a little way to go but at least showing a pleasing ability to perform in finals), Higgins and we are all excited with what Ward is showing.

But who is next, excluding these 4, there is either doubt or lack of exposure at the top level at this stage.

Interested in predictions - I'll go for Everitt, obviously doubts, but coming into his 4th season, its his time.

I think it's a misconception that our list is young. I think we have a lot of potential good young players but our list is a mature one at this stage. When Johnson/Aker/Hall and Eagltton retire, that obv. reduces our average age.

As for next young gun, I'll go with Habrow. When the short-list all-aust. squad was released, Eade said he was unlucky not to be considered for the all-aus. team.

Out list is mature, but i think we have a lot of young talent

Out Midfield is young with a couple of exceptions, while our forward line is old with a couple of exceptions.

This year is pretty much the last year between Old and New. Id expect there to be probably 4-5 different player in out starting 22 from 2010-2011.

IMO for us to win the flag we don't need BBBH to Kick 80 goals we need the following players to go to the next level - Griffen, Higgins, Harbrow and Ward

Noted improvement from the four and the same level as 09 from the rest and i think we win the flag.

As for our next young gun well i think Roughead may surprise quite a few this year :)

I hope you don't mind me intruding but I like the Dogs and am bored without work (don't know why).

Anyway, the player I'd take if I had the chance would be Roughead: Top tap-ruckman, good around the ground, but, most importantly could kick play as a genuine forward down the track, kicking regular goals.

Everitt I hope doesn't become a wasted talent.

Liam Picken, will become an elite tagger, the courage and charcter this man shown in the '09 season was amazing. Hopefully he continues it this season.

Sam Reid: Could be a future Matty Boyd, from what Ive seen has lot of simulaties, bar the fact that he doesn't get as much of it as Boydy does. Likes to get down and dirty and win his own ball.

Shaun Higgins: Will win a brownlow, may i need to say anymore?

Ayce Cordy: This kid could be an absolute gem, with a few more good pre-seasons, this kid could do wonders. 204 centre meters, and yet very freakish at ground level.

Anyway, the player I'd take if I had the chance would be Roughead: Top tap-ruckman, good around the ground, but, most importantly could kick play as a genuine forward down the track, kicking regular goals.
I do not disagree with you about Roughead however I am interested to know where you have watched him play?
I noticed you follow WCE, are you from Victoria or W.A?

I do not disagree with you about Roughead however I am interested to know where you have watched him play?
I noticed you follow WCE, are you from Victoria or W.A?

I'm from Geelong, seen him play twice at VFL level, kicked 3 in one of them, also saw him with Gippsland once or twice. Under 18' champs too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm from Geelong, seen him play twice at VFL level, kicked 3 in one of them, also saw him with Gippsland once or twice. Under 18' champs too.
Ahh very good. Being a WCE supporter you would not get to see them play live very often.
Perhaps we can sway you over to the Doggies? Or at least if you want to see an entertaining game in Melbourne, the Doggies certainly wont let you down ;)

Ok, in answering this I'm assuming that Higgins, Griffen, Harbrow and Ward have 'arrived' already as guns. Whether the media and other fans already think this I don't care. I believe it to be so.

I reckon Easton Wood is going to be our next gun player. There was just something about the way he played when he got games last year that made me think he looks very comfortable and confident on a footy field, and he's ready to take the big boys on. The hardest part for Easton will be getting a game. I say that because he's generally played in the backline, but we have a very settled backline that is arguably the best in the league, so Easton may have to get a game on a forward flank or as a utility somewhere. Once he's out there, though, he's gonna rip it up.

Ahh very good. Being a WCE supporter you would not get to see them play live very often.
Perhaps we can sway you over to the Doggies? Or at least if you want to see an entertaining game in Melbourne, the Doggies certainly wont let you down ;)

Yeah, it can be hard supporting from afar, but I go to most Vic games, and no sorry I will not support the dogs.:p

I will say though if West Coast were banished from the comp (for whatever reason) the Dogs would be my team, how's that:D

I reckon Easton Wood is going to be our next gun player. There was just something about the way he played when he got games last year that made me think he looks very comfortable and confident on a footy field, and he's ready to take the big boys on. The hardest part for Easton will be getting a game. I say that because he's generally played in the backline, but we have a very settled backline that is arguably the best in the league, so Easton may have to get a game on a forward flank or as a utility somewhere. Once he's out there, though, he's gonna rip it up.

Agreed, there's something about the way he moves. Also seems a good size

Yeah, it can be hard supporting from afar, but I go to most Vic games, and no sorry I will not support the dogs.:p

I will say though if West Coast were banished from the comp (for whatever reason) the Dogs would be my team, how's that:D
Nah, dont like being 2nd best. :D

I have heard it on good authority that all the kids that we have drafted this year have got amazing skills. The field kicking and pace is unbelievable. Our Northern Territory recruit is an absolute gem, do not be surprised at what he does this year.
Have also heard from a Willy source that Ayce might struggle to make it to the next level. He finds it hard when the game is physical and came off the ground in a few games due to minor ailments. Willy wanted to drop him to the 2nds but the Dogs wanted him kept in the Willy 1sts.
I hope he turns it around as most of us would like to see him succeed.

I think that if Easton gets a go this year it may well be as a HB flanker. I would not be overly surprised to see Rocket give a couple of our back six a try a little further up the ground, if for no other reason than unpredictability. That said, Harbrow demonstrated last season that he has the pace and skills that might lend themselves to the role of a genuine rover. Gilbee's kicking rather than his defensive skills suggest that he could be pretty effective a little closer on a semi perminent basis to the forward half, eg as a wingman. That could open options down back for Woods, Addison or others.

I have heard it on good authority that all the kids that we have drafted this year have got amazing skills. The field kicking and pace is unbelievable. Our Northern Territory recruit is an absolute gem, do not be surprised at what he does this year.
Have also heard from a Willy source that Ayce might struggle to make it to the next level. He finds it hard when the game is physical and came off the ground in a few games due to minor ailments. Willy wanted to drop him to the 2nds but the Dogs wanted him kept in the Willy 1sts.
I hope he turns it around as most of us would like to see him succeed.

I don't find either of the points I have put in bold of your post hard to believe.

Immediately Eade identified the need for clean foot skills as being paramount as soon as he walked into the place. Recently because of our smaller forward line it has been ultra-important, but the game as a whole has been heading towards elite kicking to hit spreading players for a few years now and I'm happy we've been leaders in that area over the last few years.

As for Ayce. I'd be highly surprised if he didn't struggle when the game got physical, and assume that if he's coming off with minor ailments it's because he's a smart kid and does what he's told in terms of looking after his body. A player like Ayce needs to be nurtured through his first couple of years. When he puts a bit of meat on his bones and can stand the week in week out rigours of senior footy I'll start worrying about him pushing through niggles. Until then I'll be happy to watch him string games together. That's what he needs first and foremost.

As for our young guns. I think Higgins is the most obvious to be the stand out, but it almost seems like cheating picking him.

Ward's first two seasons have been outstanding, and he added some much needed steel to the midfield in 09 that I think helped us firm as a contender throughout the latter part of the year. He's my pick. As he improves his strength and awareness/decision making his disposal will become more of a weapon. He's tough, team oriented and clever. If we played the same type of ball sharing game that Geelong does, he'd have between 5-10 more touches a game and everyone would be raving about him.

Brodie Moles -as a longshot!

Brodie is a ready made, highly skilled player that is impressing everyone. The 25 year old could be our 'surprise packet' of 2010! As a rookie he will obviously have to pay his dues at Willi and bide his time to be called-up. But, when he does -well, let's hope he lives up to expectations...

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Young Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back