NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I was told Owen was playing VFL with Coburg in 2023, looks like he only played with Eltham in 2nd Division NFNL - He is not listed as playing a game with Coburg? Is the website incorrect? Thought it was a big get for the bears.
I think Eltham are well above MacLeod & West Preston in talent & depth after winning seniors and reserves last year and their under 19's played off in the Div 1 GF - The blokes that they lost are all older and retired except Maley who is a huge loss but only played finals last year I think? They have good recruits listed to cover the blokes that have left.
For me MacLeod & WP have lost too many good players, poor under 19's and no significant recruits.
Bergs and Nth Bergs stand out 1 & 2 - Mont and the big spending Bears 3 & 4 - WP & Macleod to fight for relegation on their own.
Just an opinion based on preseason activity. AND talking with the old man club last night we are likely to watch more Div 3 games this season than EVER!! Recruits galore - The salary cap in DIV3 has been blown to the Shouse
Who have they picked up full time? Collins and McMahon are both VFL aren’t they?

Division 2 reserves depth isn’t going to mean much in D1.. you’re talking about blokes who couldn’t get a game in D2.

Who have they picked up full time? Collins and McMahon are both VFL aren’t they?

Division 2 reserves depth isn’t going to mean much in D1.. you’re talking about blokes who couldn’t get a game in D2.
Dont know re those blokes but there were games that I saw in Div 1 where the reserves teams of WP, Mc, Bundy etc were Sh7T
Depth will be important this season I reckon

Dont know re those blokes but there were games that I saw in Div 1 where the reserves teams of WP, Mc, Bundy etc were Sh7T
Depth will be important this season I reckon
They’ll have ok “depth”, but your best 22 is the most important. They need to replace 10 senior players.

Looks like Collins will be full time as he has departed VFL so will be a great pick up if so.

Thanks mate - Do much at VFL level?
Didn’t get much of a chance, Coburg coach loves his VAFA boys so Dan didn’t get the opportunities lesser players got. Ithink he might have kicked a couple goals as a small fwd.

They’ll have ok “depth”, but your best 22 is the most important. They need to replace 10 senior players.

Looks like Collins will be full time as he has departed VFL so will be a great pick up if so.
He is Panther full time

I love the guys who are running The Northern Footy Show but can we get some content outside of Lalor, Bundoora or Mernda? Maybe the travel away from plenty road is too far but we have 2 new clubs joining the league and there is a stack of exciting recruits happening in every division.

Keep up the good work
Stay tuned 😉

Heidelberg lost another of it's senior premiership players (2022), Jessie Kane signed with someone in the Malley I believe.

You'd still have them as flag favourite, but will the have the immense depth of previous seasons?

Heidelberg lost another of it's senior premiership players (2022), Jessie Kane signed with someone in the Malley I believe.

You'd still have them as flag favourite, but will the have the immense depth of previous seasons?

Once again unequivocal proof that Heidelberg isn’t cheating the salary cap. Personally I think they will struggle to make finals although if they do make finals I would think their strongest side with everyone available will be hard to beat.

Once again unequivocal proof that Heidelberg isn’t cheating the salary cap. Personally I think they will struggle to make finals although if they do make finals I would think their strongest side with everyone available will be hard to beat.
How is that “proof”… just because Heidelberg aren’t willing to match some outrageous country offer.

Case closed!

Thank god for that! People making up stories about clubs cheating the salary cap should be ashamed of themselves and an apology to Heidelberg would be appropriate. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you think they are?
Any evidence?
No I am saying that they are not cheating - It is unequivocal - No club pays above the salary cap.
That is as stupid as saying a bloke would open up the boot of his car and give football players brown paper bags containing sherbert bombs - It didnt happen anywhere and never will

No I am saying that they are not cheating - It is unequivocal - No club pays above the salary cap.
That is as stupid as saying a bloke would open up the boot of his car and give football players brown paper bags containing sherbert bombs - It didnt happen anywhere and never will
You’re kidding right?

I may have missed something but with the transfer listings on the NFNL website not updating, where do you go to see them now?

From HS

New Heidelberg captain Keenan Posar speaks about what position means to him​

Heidelberg has a new captain and respected defender Keenan Posar has some big shoes to fill and tricky start to the season to lead the Tigers through.

Sam Gilmore’s boots aren’t easy to fill but Keenan Posar is looking forward to the challenge.
The respected defender has been named Tigers captain for 2024, taking over from the departed two-time premiership skipper.

A two-time premiership player himself and already one of the club’s leaders, Posar was a natural successor.

He’ll look to steer the club through a difficult pre-season, training and playing away while Warringal Park is redeveloped until May, before eyeing off a hat-trick of titles.

The honour of taking on the role wasn’t lost on Posar.

“It’s big shoes to fill but hopefully we can continue what (Gilmore) started a few years ago and go for the three-peat,” Posar said.

“It’s an absolute honour, I didn’t know much about the club before coming down a few years ago, but the guys that stick around after every Thursday and you hear how rich the culture is at the club, it is.

“Especially after what Sam said to me last year about what it meant to him and past players and about the success we’ve had, it’s certainly a huge honour.”

Heidelberg is chasing a third premiership three-peat in club history.

However, the Tigers will have to do it without several key players from the past two years.

Gilmore, a three-time premiership player, best-and-fairest winner and Team of the Year regular, has stepped back to NFNL Division 3 and league newcomer Old Paradians.

Matt Smith, a two-time Coaches’ MVP and back-to-back grand final medallist, has departed for VAFA power Uni Blues.

Tom Schnerring has moved on and Isaac Wallace is off to Gippsland outfit Warragul, while reserve grade premiership players Mackenzie Hogg, Gulian Fable and Kane Veliou are also gone.

The Tigers are yet to announce any new recruits but having won the senior and reserve grade premierships and finished third and runner-up in the under-19s in the past two seasons are confident of remaining strong.

“It’s something we knew would eventually happen, you obviously can’t keep the great squad we had for so long,” Posar said.

“We were certainly preparing for it, it’s why we wanted to keep as many of the 19s and reserves boys around as possible because we know they’re certainly up to it as well.

“Matt Smith, Tom Schnerring, Isaac Wallace and Sam Gilmore, to name a few, are big outs for us but we know we have the cattle to fill in.”

Heidelberg returned to pre-season training last week, moving to Telfer Reserve in Bundoora, home of Bundoora Juniors.

The club has already locked in four pre-season practice matches ahead of a Round 1 derby blockbuster against North Heidelberg at Shelley Reserve on April 13.

The return to Warringal Park is scheduled for May 18 against Greensborough.

Posar said the group was looking good ahead of the new season and was keen to get home when possible.

“Really good, they certainly make my running look very bad because they’re all so fit and love it,” he said.

“The way they carry on their pre-season training on their own time is unbelievable, so we’re looking very good.

“We’re still waiting for the ground to be done, we obviously love playing there and being around the club as much as possible.

“This will be a tough period, not being there, so training here and we’ve got the first five games away.

“If we can get through the first five and then mould the team to what we want it to look like in the second half of the season we’ll be OK.”

From HS

New Heidelberg captain Keenan Posar speaks about what position means to him​

The return to Warringal Park is scheduled for May 18 against Greensborough.
No chance of playing on ground until August at best (imo). Banyule’s upgrade was at least a month ahead of Heidelbergs upgrade and they didn’t get on until July, and that was very limited use.

No chance of playing on ground until August at best (imo). Banyule’s upgrade was at least a month ahead of Heidelbergs upgrade and they didn’t get on until July, and that was very limited use.
I don't think it'll be that dire. Took me 2 minutes to find that Banyule played Whittlsea on May 27th last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back