NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d say Keilor or Heidelberg would be the best in the state football wise. I think they would both beat Wang Rovers who would be the best country club today.

Off field? A few clubs with pokies may have a lot of coin. Bergs are just very well run. Their recruits perform and players stay there. That’s the difference between clubs who spend big money for stars but they leave after a few seasons.
Echuca would be the best country club in the state by a mile

Did someone say that OX have full time employees work at the club? If so then that doesn’t seem all that big.

Turn over in Div 1 is huge. But I’d say most Div 1 clubs come out of the year with not a hell of a lot profit.
I worked with a couple of blokes a few years ago that were associated with Essendon league & Western league clubs.
Both were saying that the better clubs in those leagues pay a Football operations person - part time role rumoured to be around $50k cash.
The role looks after player contracts and negotiations to keep that task away from parents on the committee, represents the club with the league, applies for sporting grants etc.
I assume that all clubs that could afford it would definitely have a paid role like this? Premier league & DIV1 clubs run their clubs like a business and there appears to be less and less volunteers prepared to do these important roles for nothing - Makes sense to me as it is not a lot of money especially if they are getting results.

I worked with a couple of blokes a few years ago that were associated with Essendon league & Western league clubs.
Both were saying that the better clubs in those leagues pay a Football operations person - part time role rumoured to be around $50k cash.
The role looks after player contracts and negotiations to keep that task away from parents on the committee, represents the club with the league, applies for sporting grants etc.
I assume that all clubs that could afford it would definitely have a paid role like this? Premier league & DIV1 clubs run their clubs like a business and there appears to be less and less volunteers prepared to do these important roles for nothing - Makes sense to me as it is not a lot of money especially if they are getting results.
North Heidelberg have both a paid role for footy & club operations circa over double figures.

The first club to adopt was Vermont years ago & no secret there was a link to their success.

Last edited:
Not sure this is correct as haven’t heard 50k for footy ops manager. But it’s definitely worth some $$ and great to have a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back