NFNL Div 3 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you said THE HARDEST job.... I made your job as EASY as i could on every level.

The support you were shown was first-class and i lost count of the times i said "we could have Alister Clarkson apply for the job and my full support would be behind Gary and his team - He is the right guy for our club right now" both privately and publicly around the club.

You've been around footy long enough to blur the lines in conversation - i don't think it would be too difficult for you to join the dots at the 4-5 people that are VERY disappointed with your "HARDEST" comments... We all worked VERY HARD for you.
No, you said THE HARDEST job.... I made your job as EASY as i could on every level.

The support you were shown was first-class and i lost count of the times i said "we could have Alister Clarkson apply for the job and my full support would be behind Gary and his team - He is the right guy for our club right now" both privately and publicly around the club.

You've been around footy long enough to blur the lines in conversation - i don't think it would be too difficult for you to join the dots at the 4-5 people that are VERY disappointed with your "HARDEST" comments... We all worked VERY HARD for you.

Yes I did say hardest coaching job Benny but nowhere have I criticised any committee person or volunteer of any era from the footy club. I have also stated that nobody worked harder than you. I’m not sure how you’re taking offence to any of this to be honest mate.in fact I did say that I did fail to bring this club back to it’s former greatness and for that I am truly sorry. I have met some lifelong friends at the Lalor footy club as I have at all previous clubs I have been at. I have not nor will not divulge as to why players have left the club and if I was the problem then hopefully those players go back to Lalor to help the club out. Benny you will never have to defend yourself about the Lalor footy club anyone who knows anything about the club knows what you did for the club. I hope this puts this to bed now mate.

Yes I did say hardest coaching job Benny but nowhere have I criticised any committee person or volunteer of any era from the footy club. I have also stated that nobody worked harder than you. I’m not sure how you’re taking offence to any of this to be honest mate.in fact I did say that I did fail to bring this club back to it’s former greatness and for that I am truly sorry. I have met some lifelong friends at the Lalor footy club as I have at all previous clubs I have been at. I have not nor will not divulge as to why players have left the club and if I was the problem then hopefully those players go back to Lalor to help the club out. Benny you will never have to defend yourself about the Lalor footy club anyone who knows anything about the club knows what you did for the club. I hope this puts this to bed now mate.
And yes Challenging would have been a better description

So the question begs…where to for Lalor now?
I think local footy in general is in a tricky spot... Not only for senior divisions but 15, 16, 17 year olds re-connecting and having the players and new operations staff come through. Lalor, along with many other clubs that are looking to re-build could find things really tough over the next few years - Building the club from primary school ages is really the only way forward in my opinion.
Its a going to be a slow burn for lots of clubs and maintaining some form of stability very quickly is critical.

Last edited:
Everyone needs to calm down :)

Reading between the lines here things ain't too rosey at Lalor and some things may have been said that got back to others. Cause what I'm reading on bigfooty/local Footy classifieds isn't worthy of the commotion, so bigfoity being used as the scapegoat platform....

But hey I could be wrong but may as well guess like everyone else.

Everyone needs to calm down :)

Reading between the lines here things ain't too rosey at Lalor and some things may have been said that got back to others. Cause what I'm reading on bigfooty/local Footy classifieds isn't worthy of the commotion, so bigfoity being used as the scapegoat platform....

But hey I could be wrong but may as well guess like everyone else.
I have always stood firmly behind my thoughts... I don't use platforms like these to send mixed messages, i leave that for the cowards that hide behind an alias. There's no lines to read between, i was made aware of the comment by a third party this morning... On this platform.

I took great offence behind the comment "THE HARDEST JOB HE HAS EVER HAD" which implies the many people that put in countless hours and delivered every opportunity some how didn't provide enough...??????
As i've mentioned above, re-word it to "One of the biggest challenges of my 30 years" it wouldn't hit a nerve at all, we did an extraordinary amount of work to make the coaching roles and the transition seamless - Suggest its the hardest job his had in 30 years... FFS...!

I'll take Gary on his word that it was an error text, maybe I've misinterpreted it (but i don't think i have) - Wanna air something on a public forum that pushes blame on other people i care about, then i call you on it... And i'll use the same forum its posted on to clear it up... Pretty simple.

Then to get some no-one telling me its my fault because of recruits from 2018... Jesus... Next they'll be blaming Dezzie for Mernda's current ladder position..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always stood firmly behind my thoughts... I don't use platforms like these to send mixed messages, i leave that for the cowards that hide behind an alias. There's no lines to read between, i was made aware of the comment by a third party this morning... On this platform.

I took great offence behind the comment "THE HARDEST JOB HE HAS EVER HAD" which implies the many people that put in countless hours and delivered every opportunity some how didn't provide enough...??????
As i've mentioned above, re-word it to "One of the biggest challenges of my 30 years" it wouldn't hit a nerve at all, we did an extraordinary amount of work to make the coaching roles and the transition seamless - Suggest its the hardest job his had in 30 years... FFS...!

I'll take Gary on his word that it was an error text, maybe I've misinterpreted it (but i don't think i have) - Wanna air something on a public forum that pushes blame on other people i care about, then i call you on it... And i'll use the same forum its posted on to clear it up... Pretty simple.

Then to get some no-one telling me its my fault because of recruits from 2018... Jesus... Next they'll be blaming Dezzie for Mernda's current ladder position..
Ben 💯 you have misinterpreted my thoughts on this. I have gone back and had another look at my original post and nowhere does it say that I blame anyone on the previous or present committee for my failure to turn the club into a winning culture. I have in fact praised the current committee & indeed yourself. So I will clear this up once & for all. The 2019 committee which you were in charge of did in fact work tirelessly to help me change the fortunes of the club as have the 2021 committee as well. As I mentioned in my original post that blame falls back onto me as the senior coach. When I’m referring to hardest job I am talking about coaching nothing else & nothing to do with committee’s or volunteers who I have the utmost respect for. For me this matter is finished & again if you or anyone else from the club past or present have been offended I deeply apologise. I wish the club nothing but success and the people who run the club past & present my sincere thanks.

Ben 💯 you have misinterpreted my thoughts on this. I have gone back and had another look at my original post and nowhere does it say that I blame anyone on the previous or present committee for my failure to turn the club into a winning culture. I have in fact praised the current committee & indeed yourself. So I will clear this up once & for all. The 2019 committee which you were in charge of did in fact work tirelessly to help me change the fortunes of the club as have the 2021 committee as well. As I mentioned in my original post that blame falls back onto me as the senior coach. When I’m referring to hardest job I am talking about coaching nothing else & nothing to do with committee’s or volunteers who I have the utmost respect for. For me this matter is finished & again if you or anyone else from the club past or present have been offended I deeply apologise. I wish the club nothing but success and the people who run the club past & present my sincere thanks.
Coaching a club is the sum of lots of parts Gaz… Broad-stroke comments can be interpreted many ways.

consider it cleared up.

Don’t know either of you but geez gazman you have copped it from sport_support! Clearly touched a nerve because you said “hardest job” instead of “most challenging” which is basically the same thing isnt it?
You’ve responded beautifully and tried to settle things down to no avail… makes me think it’s probably a good thing to not be there anymore. Wish you all the best! Hope Lalor can recover and survive and thrive in years to come.
Next topic please

Don’t know either of you but geez gazman you have copped it from sport_support! Clearly touched a nerve because you said “hardest job” instead of “most challenging” which is basically the same thing isnt it?
You’ve responded beautifully and tried to settle things down to no avail… makes me think it’s probably a good thing to not be there anymore. Wish you all the best! Hope Lalor can recover and survive and thrive in years to come.
Next topic please
Benny has put a lot of work into Lalor mate and nobody wants to see it succeed more than him and that’s why he’s so passionate about it. I took no offence from it as I have had first hand experience working with him. He’s a good fella

I understand your passion and frustration but there is a lot of carry on over misinterpreted communication. Gaz has clearly apologised and clarified his stance. Move on.
Agreed... There's no confusion now that the job was not made hard because of a lack of support, recruitment opportunities, finances, club operations or what the footy department was provided. Any future coach needs to be crystal clear on that point as the clubs begins their search.

I'll ring Gaz later in the week and find some time to chat it through. He's a good guy and I thought he'd be at Lalor a bit longer to be honest...?

I think everyone understands what you were saying Gary. It’s a tough job taking a side who had a max exodus dropped down to division 3 and had to build from the ground up regardless of support or committee

I think everyone understands what you were saying Gary. It’s a tough job taking a side who had a max exodus dropped down to division 3 and had to build from the ground up regardless of support or committee
Dean Grainger did that coaching role mate... Gaz started the following year in 2019 and thing were very different then - I'm sure you'll have some reason to keep supporting your flimsy point of view but just remember, i was there every minute of it so I'll have a much better view of this than you.

Think Gaz and i have cleared it up, might be time for you to drop it also.

Last edited:
Dean Grainger did that coaching role mate... Gaz started the following year in 2019 and thing were very different then - I'm sure you'll have some reason to keep supporting your flimsy point of view but just remember, i was there every minute of it so I'll have a much better view of this than you.

Think Gaz and i have cleared it up, might be time for you to drop it also.

Like i said at the start. Writing and not talking is always dangerous. Sometimes what's in your head doesn't come out like that. Can understand why you got defensive but always knew Gaz didn't mean it like you took it.

Play On

Agreed... There's no confusion now that the job was not made hard because of a lack of support, recruitment opportunities, finances, club operations or what the footy department was provided. Any future coach needs to be crystal clear on that point as the clubs begins their search.

I'll ring Gaz later in the week and find some time to chat it through. He's a good guy and I thought he'd be at Lalor a bit longer to be honest...?
I think everyone bar yourself knew what Gazman07 meant...maybe that phone call should of been made then to clear this up rather than all the back and forth on bigfooty which only reflects poorly on the Lalor footy club ?

I think everyone bar yourself knew what Gazman07 meant...maybe that phone call should of been made then to clear this up rather than all the back and forth on bigfooty which only reflects poorly on the Lalor footy club ?
I think everyone is crystal clear now that the Lalor Football Club provided Gaz with every opportunity and supported all levels... That can't hurt the club as they search for a replacement...?
As he said when we appointed him "I'm excited by the challenge ahead to re-build this great club" every effort was made and supported along the journey to make that a reality - The club didn't fail him or make the position hard and we've rubber stamped that point I'm sure you'll agree.

But as others have asked, its been clarified so Play On (This only continues from comments and questions posed)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back