NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

10571z in terms of clubs with juniors, it would be Mernda (not sure of OP and Ivanhoe junior set ups)
Mernda have had 19’s as well which definitely helps.

Will OP and Ivanhoe have 19’s?
Ivanhoe much stronger junior club than mernda. Could rise as quickly as banyule if they get their junior talent staying and/or coming back. OP linked with st Damian’s who very quite strong then fell away but coming decent again as a junior club. Both Yarra jfl junior based which has always had an edge over nfnl

10571z in terms of clubs with juniors, it would be Mernda (not sure of OP and Ivanhoe junior set ups)
Mernda have had 19’s as well which definitely helps.

Will OP and Ivanhoe have 19’s?
I think every club would have challenges going up a level. Mernda for example have a number of players who left Jacana and Craigieburn following success and we know how that ended. Much can come down to bank balance as well. Juniors aren't always the measure of preparedness for D2 football but yes certainly helps.

Ivanhoe much stronger junior club than mernda. Could rise as quickly as banyule if they get their junior talent staying and/or coming back. OP linked with st Damian’s who very quite strong then fell away but coming decent again as a junior club. Both Yarra jfl junior based which has always had an edge over nfnl
Can already see with Ivanhoes recruitment the appeal of moving to the NFNL.

I think every club would have challenges going up a level. Mernda for example have a number of players who left Jacana and Craigieburn following success and we know how that ended. Much can come down to bank balance as well. Juniors aren't always the measure of preparedness for D2 football but yes certainly helps.
Ive looked at mernda list from 2023, so from jacana they got evans, kimulitas in 2021, from craigieburn they got morrison last year, bennett from tullamarine 2023. The bulk of their list is menrda juniors or been there for 5 or 6 yrs or more. looking at there age there probably a bit like Laurimar avg about 22 or 23. Think if they can get success & with their jnrs coming thru they have the potential to be strong & powerful, but that will depend on their committee making good decisions, but like most clubs that is fraught with danger.

From HS

Epping coach Brad Hollow knows nothing is guaranteed in the club’s return to Division 3​

NFNL Division 3 looks stacked in 2024 and Epping coach Brad Hollow believes it will be an opportunity for the relegated club to earn some respect back.

Relegation to NFNL Division 3 will not guarantee a return to winning ways for Epping.
Pingers coach Brad Hollow said there would be no gimmes for the club in what looks a stacked competition in 2024.

Epping won just one game in 2023 after only two wins in 2022 and has not had a winning record since it’s last Division 3 campaign in 2017.

Hollow took the coaching reins mid-season this year, replacing co-coaches Glen Lehner and Aaron Newport.

An early start to pre-season training has him confident the club will be up to the fitness and skill level required to create a winning culture.

“We started early, we started in early October, and we’ve had really good numbers – averaged over 40,” Hollow said.

“Everyone has the same expectations, everyone wants to play finals and win a flag.

“The big thing the guys haven’t had in recent years is a lot of success, in terms of wins.

“They all ummed and ahhed about going back to Div 3 but I said to them it’s just a different competition and it’s a way we can reset the club and gain some respect and get the winning culture back.

“It’s not going to be easy and that’s why we started early so that when the season starts we’re ready to go.

“We’re not taking it lightly, coming back from Div 2 to Div 3, by any stretch it’s going to be hard whoever we play against. Div 3 is going to 16 hard games.”

Epping has made a strong start to the off-season with a handful of additions.

Adrian Alfonsi has crossed from Watsonia, while Reece Field and Ostinn Bellingham have come on board from WRFL Division 3 grand finalist Albanvale.

Alfonsi and Field loom as one of the competition’s most dangerous forward combos with Alfonsi kicking 28 goals in 13 games, while Field booted an outstanding 75 goals from 19 appearances, including five in the decider.

Meanwhile, Corey Middleton (Eltham), Jaedyn Kearney (Old Eltham) and Jordan Wilkins have all returned.

“The list has got to change because we haven’t been fit enough or the skills haven’t been good enough,” Hollow said.

“To bring in Alfonsi and the couple of boys from the Western Region in Reece and Ostinn just opens up a few avenues.

“We’re just trying to change the culture, we’re targeting players that have played for the club that have left to play a better standard to come back.

“It’s going to be a good mix, we’ve had some good sessions, we’re getting fit and the skills are improving every week.”

The last time Epping suffered relegation from Division 2 was 2014 and the club went on to play in consecutive grand finals.

Hollow will be hoping history repeats but knows the likes of grand finalist Mernda, finalists Old Eltham Collegians and Kinglake and big off-season improvers Heidelberg West and Fitzroy Stars will make for a fierce top-five fight.

“Div 3, no division is an easy ticket, but Fitzroy Stars have done well, Mernda has done well,” Hollow said.

“You just don’t know until you come up against them I guess but we’ll just worry what we can do for ourselves.

“As I’ve said to the boys if everyone does the right thing, we’ll be a really good team and hard to beat.”

Pre season tips
Mernda
Stars
Turtles
Heid West
Kilmore
A wait and see on the two new sides
This may change B4 round one ?
Is 3-4 players enough to propel stars from 3rd last to 2nd? I’m not convinced just yet but I think they’ll push for finals. They won 5 games (4 against lalor and Reservior)

Proctor, Williamson, Farrant, Tippuamantumirri… yes Jetta but how often will they realistically see him? Their backline still has huge holes.

They’ll be much improved no doubt but not buying into the hype just yet.

Is 3-4 players enough to propel stars from 3rd last to 2nd? I’m not convinced just yet but I think they’ll push for finals. They won 5 games (4 against lalor and Reservior)

Proctor, Williamson, Farrant, Tippuamantumirri… yes Jetta but how often will they realistically see him? Their backline still has huge holes.

They’ll be much improved no doubt but not buying into the hype just yet.
I'm sceptical as well. There's genuine daylight between their best footy and worst footy. Will be interesting to see how their season pans out considering historically they have huge drops in numbers around the mid season mark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do indeed.
Ressa have been announcing new sponcers signing on the social media , its a good sign now to get a couple of good players to bring the skill level up good luck to them and lalor I hope they get a few more wins to reward the hard work of all those battling the guts out to keep both these club viable

Mernda
Turtles
Ivanhoe
Parade
Stars

West
Epping
Kilmore
Kinglake
Lalor
Reservoir

I think everyone is underestimating the loss of Morrison to Mernda, Evans also going to come back? Broken leg looked bad.
A couple early losses and doubts could set in.
I’m sure the calm head of Fletcher will prevail lol.

I think everyone is underestimating the loss of Morrison to Mernda, Evans also going to come back? Broken leg looked bad.
They picked up 3 div 1 players two who were captains at their clubs. I believe another div 1 player as well?

Morrison is a huge loss. Not many ruckman like him. Basically rucked 97% of the year by himself as well.

They picked up 3 div 1 players two who were captains at their clubs. I believe another div 1 player as well?
I’ve seen a lot of bundoora, paid a lot for a back pocket.
Aydin was captain for one year where they won 3 games. Going at a club a year since then.
None of the recruits will replace Morrison and the power of work he did. Was by far the most influential ruckman in Div 3. Point was proven in the GF when he went off game was lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back