Nic Naitanui urges public to ‘grow together’ after mother paints son’s skin for Book Week parade

Remove this Banner Ad

The usual bleating from moronic right wing goats vs average people dubbed justice warriors:

Attachments

• 14125638_1190899984264696_2723953431249040910_o.jpg
    14125638_1190899984264696_2723953431249040910_o.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 7
On the flip side, the alternate view seems to be that if you think it's a problem EVERYBODY should
Or maybe be sensitive to the origins of it? Just use a bit of the ol' noggin and not use your own child in your trolling? Listen to your friends advice?

Deliberately dressing your child up in black paint knowing it will cause offense, while preying on your own childs ignorance and exposing them to heaps of attention for it.... topped off by getting hammered in the morning to celebrate?

That screams of terrible parenting first, and racism second.
****, you should work for the tabloids with that kind of interpretation...Barret is that you?

So an innocent kid dresses up as his hero and all hell breaks loose?

That seems to be the summary here but here's my summary; his mum is an absolute moron for using her kid to make a political statement or an up yours to the SJWs of the world. She has used her kid essentially which thoroughly disgusts me. Nic Nat's response was classy as well and really he's the only one that should be offended or otherwise. He's not so why are so many getting offended on his behalf?

I understand the history of 'black face' and do understand why this is frowned up.

What I cannot understand is why we are always looking for something to be offended at/about. It's 2016, sooner or later, people are going to be too scared to express an opinion or do anything because no matter what, someone is going to be offended.

I can assure you that I will continue to express opinions until I breathe my last breath. It is not hard to discuss even contentious issues if you are prepared to give a little thought as to what you are saying.

I have managed to grow up in the 70s watching Love Thy Neighbour, Kingswood Country, Til Death us do Part etc. and realise that they were not manuals for social interaction for the rest of my life.

I have adjusted from the 70's mores to the modern world and all of the lessons that we as a society have learned along the way.

Societies become more enlightened and inclusive over time. The world is a better place now that people think a bit more before they speak.

Or maybe be sensitive to the origins of it? Just use a bit of the ol' noggin and not use your own child in your trolling? Listen to your friends advice?
Sure.
Just seems to be a view in the thread that if you view this with any kind of nuance - and not a black and white all blackface is automatically racist - then you are racist too. It's a simplistic view (and yes the mother here is simplistic too)

I think you are just displaying that not all Fijians are as switched on as Nic Nat. I doubt anybody expects 100% of any racial cohort to feel and think exactly the same.

Nic Nat himself said he had to be educated on the connotation of black face

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Nat himself said he had to be educated on the connotation of black face

So Nic was formerly racist for encouraging it?

And we extended his contract? Racist-enabling list managers at WC by the looks.

The fact he won the dress up comp just shows context and intent have no place in today's society. I have a dream that one day black people and white people can paint themselves what ever color they want, so as to win the best dress up competition. But im sure no one want to live in a world like that hey lmfao.

individual racial prejudice ≠ institutionalised racism. one can go both ways, the other does not. anyone who tries to equate 'white' experiences of racism with those of 'people of colour' are, in my opinion, well wide of the mark.

yep, we definitely disagree. and thats fine.
As long as you ascribe different values to racism of different colours, you and the racist will continue to chase each other's tails.

The circuit breaker is obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nic Naitanui urges public to ‘grow together’ after mother paints son’s skin for Book Week parade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back