Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Street Talk clearly was diversive, but many of the people and characters who appeared on it (even ones with intellectual disabilities) seemed to have really enjoyed their moment in the spot light, even if Sam seemingly was taking the piss out of them.

But if made those people really happy for a time to appear on it, is it really offensive or wrong (btw I'm one of the biggest anti Newman critics around, his stunts about Nicky Winmar as black face and Caroline Wilson was absolutely disgusting and indefensible)

Also I think anyone who appeared on Street Talk had to consent to 9 showing it anyway.

I always enjoyed it when Doug Hawkins or Billy Brownless occasionally hosted it.

The best/most funny Street Talks were always filmed in Frankston and Footscray :)

You and others now look back on street talk as a disgrace to the nations history.
Wait what? I never really watched it.

Why don’t we just ban comedy all together in all forms from society.

That’ll fix things 🙄
Yeah. It's "comedy" that is the problem. Not the guy doing blackface.

Wait what? I never really watched it.

Yeah. It's "comedy" that is the problem. Not the guy doing blackface.
One incident of a inappropriate black face skit it 30 years of modern television history that was done at a time just before the publics view on such shenanigans changed dramatically.

MCGuire laughed …as did the panel

But by all means , let’s wallow in the past forever. Might as well dwell on the American civil war too.

Let’s all get together on a weekly basis and discuss it all. That’ll fix things and make everyone happy again.

One incident of a inappropriate black face skit it 30 years of modern television history that was done at a time just before the publics view on such shenanigans changed dramatically.
The "politics" of the sort of things he did was always there.

Caro face on a lingerie mannequin as well.

Look, he is low-rent comedy and that appealed to enough people in the past. Doesn't mean it wasn't racist, sexist, demeaning to people who were not in on the joke.

Sams a racist prick that thinks it's funny to go around with a camera making fun of people with disabilities. Yeah I hate him, not sure why you wouldn't.
Newman has always been a big fish in a small pond by choice. He is intelligent, articulate and very well educated. He has however decided to make a career out of rousing up bogans and footy heads whilst being a nasty insensitive bully, clarified by his street talk skits and time on the footy show.

If Newman had any self respect he’d have left football media behind and made an honest dollar.

Look, he is low-rent comedy and that appealed to enough people in the past. Doesn't mean it wasn't racist, sexist, demeaning to people who were not in on the joke.

He also made fun of heaps of successful white men. He made fun of anyone in the public eye.

But its important that you are leading the charge to protect women and black people. They desperately need your help.

Wait, did they ask for your help or are you just assuming they need your help... because... ?

It's part of his brand, he has a right and obligation to protect the narrative around it.

Especially if it's a fabrication, which I have doubts on. The die is cast and it's significant.
You only get the right to use the legal system to protect your narrative where you are defamed.

Stupid of Newman, Scott and Sheahan to ever have made comment given it’s indisputable that the Collingwood home ground was acknowledged in those days as being a racist shitehole (Chris Lewis and plenty others will attest to this).

However their comments are deemed defamatory then god help us all.

Given Australia's decades long epidemic about spouse and violence against women, the Caro Manniquin stunt was absolutely disgusting and disgraceful at the time, as well as Eddie pathetically joking a few years later about drowning Caro during the Big Freeze before Melbourne v Collingwood on The Queen's Birthday.

In many ways Eddie is/was just as bad as Newman, definitely was an enabler of Sam's toxic and offensive gags and made some really pathetic and offensive comments himself (case in point Adam Goodes and King Kong)

Not a fan of Caro in the last few years, however she or any other woman should never have to face such public degradation and or threats to her well being (even in jest) like what she copped from Eddie and Sam.

And if anyone thinks those were just 'harmless' jokes, they are part of the problem in our society, not the solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. I have also heard the same from people who were playing that day.

It's a long held myth that it was pointing to colour of his skin. He was pointing at his heart. The photo was just a bit after.

It makes a great story and photo though. He should have just let it go. People ignore Newman and co anyway.

Surprised that someone might tell the same story differently when reciting it 30 years later?

I mean, wow. Case solved. When you run into court mid defamation case shouting that, you wouldn't at all look like a tosser.

Lots of folks doubting the original story. I wonder how many want to believe it wasn't true?

If you'd ever been to a Collingwood game at Vic Park, you'd have to be deaf not to know how it was in the outer there.

MCGuire laughed …as did the panel

But by all means , let’s wallow in the past forever. Might as well dwell on the American civil war too.

Let’s all get together on a weekly basis and discuss it all. That’ll fix things and make everyone happy again.
Was "the one" incident the one with Winmar or Goodes?

Given Australia's decades long epidemic about spouse and violence against women, the Caro Manniquin stunt was absolutely disgusting and disgraceful at the time, as well as Eddie pathetically joking a few years later about drowning Caro during the Big Freeze before Melbourne v Collingwood on The Queen's Birthday.

In many ways Eddie is/was just as bad as Newman, definitely was an enabler of Sam's toxic and offensive gags and made some really pathetic and offensive comments himself (case in point Adam Goodes and King Kong)

Not a fan of Caro in the last few years, however she or any other woman should never have to face such public degradation and or threats to her well being (even in jest) like what she copped from Eddie and Sam.

And if anyone thinks those were just 'harmless' jokes, they are part of the problem in our society, not the solution.
Eddie is so much worse. I’ve dealt with these guys off camera. McGuire is just more professional/self aware on camera who lets his real personality come through at times.

Sam on and off screen seems very different, he is much more respectful off camera. Gets carried away on screen.

I reckon of all the stuff Newman ever did, this one was pretty poor

He also made fun of heaps of successful white men. He made fun of anyone in the public eye.
Name a single time Newman made fun of a "successful white man" purely because of his whiteness or because he was a man. Give examples.

Whenever he made fun of a woman or someone of a different race his entire focus was their race or gender. He made the joke about that part of them.

Name a single time Newman made fun of a "successful white man" purely because of his whiteness or because he was a man. Give examples.

Whenever he made fun of a woman or someone of a different race his entire focus was their race or gender. He made the joke about that part of them.

He relentlessly went after Jason Dunstall and was far more brazen in his taunting and ridiculing.

Every single episode Dunstall was on and then for a couple of years after he left.

Very often about how fat he was. I bet if he went after a fat woman that would have been another reason to hate him even more.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, I have wondered what the response would have been if it was Barrett they were talking about drowning. I guess it boils down to the fact it’s violence towards women which is clearly a huge domestic issue re violence in our society.

He relentlessly went after Jason Dunstall and was far more brazen in his taunting and ridiculing.

Every single episode Dunstall was on and then for a couple of years after he left.

Very often about how fat he was. I bet if he went after a fat woman that would have been another reason to hate him even more.
So that's a no.

Newman has always been a big fish in a small pond by choice. He is intelligent, articulate and very well educated. He has however decided to make a career out of rousing up bogans and footy heads whilst being a nasty insensitive bully, clarified by his street talk skits and time on the footy show.

If Newman had any self respect he’d have left football media behind and made an honest dollar.
Don't confuse having a large vocabulary with intelligence.

Newman knows a lot of fancy words, but he has always been found lacking when an actual intelligent discussion happens.
I remember when he interviewed Jeff Kennett, I watched as a massive hater of Kennett. It was an absolute car crash. Newman came across as really low IQ - an amateur well out of his depth and not even realising it - thinking he was clever as Kennett wiped the floor with him. I've seen nothing since that shows anything other than low iq with big words.

He talks to racists, bigots and homophobes who lap up every second of his crap, because it seems to justify their own small-minded bigotry.

He's basically an idiot with a dictionary and a microphone.

Last edited:
So that's a no.
He physically assaulted David Schwartz on air. There is no conceivable way he would have done that to a woman. He was only able to do it because Schwartz was a man. Same with endless verbal attacks on Dunstan. Couldn’t have been done to an AFLW player. You only notice the verbal attack on Caro because it stands out as an outlier against a sea of physical and verbal attacks on men that are so normalised you don’t even notice them.

You only get the right to use the legal system to protect your narrative where you are defamed.

Stupid of Newman, Scott and Sheahan to ever have made comment given it’s indisputable that the Collingwood home ground was acknowledged in those days as being a racist shitehole (Chris Lewis and plenty others will attest to this).

However their comments are deemed defamatory then god help us all.
They are basically saying that Nicky has being lying for thirty years - implying that he's built an entire career on a fabrication. Their "opinion" is that he is a liar. I would have thought that is a clear case for defamation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back