No more Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the club still interested in doing something in the City of Casey? If they aren't, then they should be. It's too good an oportunity to miss.

Steve

spin said:
Is the club still interested in doing something in the City of Casey? If they aren't, then they should be. It's too good an oportunity to miss.

Steve
Springvale are going to Casey, so unless St Kilda pull out on them the Kangas wont be going out there.

onslaught said:
I'm not too unhappy about the decision.. the alignment was causing problems for both parties.

Yeah, there were obvious conflicts from the start of the season. It is always difficult to have a close association with one of the strongest VFL clubs, Port want to win games and play guys in positions that will win games, not where the club wants to develop players which is totally understandable.

The club wants to have more control over player development. Not sure how many VFL clubs do not have an association with an AFL club but it is best for both clubs if they both can't reach their objectives.

I think Port can be successful as a stand-alone side.. There is also the increase in salary cap.

Yeah, no doubt about that. There are alot of ex-AFL players that are as good as developing young AFL players. There is no reason why Port can't be competitive in their own right, I think the only concern would be the cost associated with going it alone.

For North there are probably a few options: (in diminishing order of reality)

1. Try and field a Canberra side in the VFL

A Canberra side would entail moving a fair number of players over here from Canberra. It would be a definite option if the club had the money but don't see it working without some significant backing from the ACT government.

2. Seek permission to field a local side (the VFL wouldn't be keen on this)

I have serious doubts that the VFL will allow us to field an AFL heavy side in the VFL.

3. Align with another club... Although I don't think there would be many clubs interested in this option.

How many are still around that are not affiliated with an AFL club?

4. Field a side in the VFL reserves

I think this would be a step backwards in terms of player development.

5. Don't have a side at all. or seek an arrangement where you simply release certain players to local clubs for match fitness.. AFLPA would stop that quicksmart.

Yeah, I can't see that happening. I would be surprised if the club let things deteriate to this extent without alternatives irons in the fire.

I caught Geoff Walsh on SEN approx 6.15pm tonight speaking on the subject.

While our problems with Port have been well documented, it was Port Melbourne who gave us the arse. This was not a mutual decision. Our club's management were informed 10 days ago, although it only became official in writing today.

There are 3 VFL stand alone clubs who are potential affiliates for 2006 (if that's the way we want to go).

1. Frankston 2. North Ballarat 3. Tassie (with the former being the most geographically suitable).

Port Melbourne must have some pig headed people on their board. They were heading down the gurgler very quickly only a few years back when they had no choice but to former an affiliation with the Sydney Swans. That soured, we stepped in and filled the breach and that has also soured & dissolved. I doubt any other AFL club would want to touch them in the future. Unless they have managed to turn there finances around, I'd expect them to really struggle and suffer the same fate as most other VFA clubs (which are no longer with us).

Interesting to see which direction our club follows. Affiliation or stand alone. resurrect the Murray Kangas would be popular but expensive.

Casey is out of the equation now days. Perhaps a new affiliation with a suburban power house (such as Vermont) and enter a new team into the VFL?

My personal favourite would be to align with the Ovens & Murray League (traditional country zone) - but logistically, (Albury 3 hrs away, Wangaratta 2.5 hrs away) probably too difficult.

If the annual tab is $250,000 to maintain a reserves team - an opportunity exists for a creative and new corporate sponsorship. A challenge for our marketing/sponsorship team to find some extra $$ from the business community.

cameronn said:
I think this would be very unlikely, since the Canberra AFL seems to be moderately successful in its own right, even to the point the Swans reserves play in this competition.

Which brings me to the next point, there should be no reason why we couldn't enter this league and at the same time, increase awareness of the Kangas in Canberra, as well as stimulate the Swans rivalry.

Either:
1. Play in the competition as Kangaroos Reserves
2. Align with afiliate club Ainslie
3. Re-instate the Murray Kangas and play in this comp.

That was my thought when I heard the news about Port and the Roos.

It would be great from the Swans perspective (yes, I'm a Swans fan) to strengthen the Canberra competition, and obviously North already have a strong Canberra link. Obviously the logistics for the Roos would be tougher than for the Swans, particularly as the ACTAFL provides a significant concession to the Swans by allowing a higher than normal proportion of games to be played in Sydney, usually as curtain raisers to Swans games. I doubt they'd be keen on allowing many games to be played down in Melbourne because of the cost and logistical impact on the local teams.

It's also worth noting that the quality of the competition is very uneven. Over the past two years there have been at least a couple of pretty strong teams in the competition, and the Swans reserves team has struggled against a couple of them. This year those traditionally stronger teams have struggled a bit and the Swans are absolutely dominating the competition (unbeaten, with a % of over 300). Part of this is attributable to significant improvement in the Swans (our recruits this year, like Campell, Vogels, Shaw, Grundy, Moore were physically mature plus we've not had many injuries at senior level) but that can't completely explain our domination this year.

One out of left field here.....if you think out of the square for a second.

Merge the Geelong and Kangaroos reserves - just the VFL teams,so players that arent getting a game in 1st's play with them - possibly have a couple of assistants from each team to run it,home games say....half at Geelong and half at either Coburg or Optus oval?
Now obviously the first thing you think about is that its like sleeping with the enemy ,and the big,big problem would be to over come team plans and stuff like that getting out....i wouldnt have a clue how to keep that in-house.. - they all would still train with their origin clubs and maybe meet once a week for a final training session late in the week.
Both clubs would share the licence price but would have to pay their own player payments - with each team having 38 plus rookes and vets it will be possible to have 35-40 on the list and with injuries from both sides week by week.
thoughts? maybe its too to late i should go to bed!! :D :D :D

roo9699 said:
One out of left field here.....if you think out of the square for a second.

Merge the Geelong and Kangaroos reserves - just the VFL teams,so players that arent getting a game in 1st's play with them - possibly have a couple of assistants from each team to run it,home games say....half at Geelong and half at either Coburg or Optus oval?
Now obviously the first thing you think about is that its like sleeping with the enemy ,and the big,big problem would be to over come team plans and stuff like that getting out....i wouldnt have a clue how to keep that in-house.. - they all would still train with their origin clubs and maybe meet once a week for a final training session late in the week.
Both clubs would share the licence price but would have to pay their own player payments - with each team having 38 plus rookes and vets it will be possible to have 35-40 on the list and with injuries from both sides week by week.
thoughts? maybe its too to late i should go to bed!! :D :D

Wow! Get some sleep Roo9699 :) By far and away the most out-there concept yet.

liz said:
That was my thought when I heard the news about Port and the Roos.

It would be great from the Swans perspective (yes, I'm a Swans fan) to strengthen the Canberra competition, and obviously North already have a strong Canberra link. Obviously the logistics for the Roos would be tougher than for the Swans, particularly as the ACTAFL provides a significant concession to the Swans by allowing a higher than normal proportion of games to be played in Sydney, usually as curtain raisers to Swans games. I doubt they'd be keen on allowing many games to be played down in Melbourne because of the cost and logistical impact on the local teams.

It's also worth noting that the quality of the competition is very uneven. Over the past two years there have been at least a couple of pretty strong teams in the competition, and the Swans reserves team has struggled against a couple of them. This year those traditionally stronger teams have struggled a bit and the Swans are absolutely dominating the competition (unbeaten, with a % of over 300). Part of this is attributable to significant improvement in the Swans (our recruits this year, like Campell, Vogels, Shaw, Grundy, Moore were physically mature plus we've not had many injuries at senior level) but that can't completely explain our domination this year.

This might be what the Ainslie Football Club was looking for. There was talk earlier in the year, that they may wish to bring the North Melbourne Football Club to Canberra on a permanent basis. Here is a chance for them to improve the quality of their football club and compete with the Swans Reserves. The Swans reserves have been dominating this season, but their first couple of seasons where really tough, and it would be a big boost for the ACTAFL, which is easily the best league in NSW and probably north of the Murray. Again though, North Melbourne would be lining up with the strongest club in it's league, and with more money than the Roos could ever dream of.

From the H-S:

The Roos can seek an alliance with Frankston or North Ballarat, or field a stand-alone team. But going it alone would cost the Kangaroos $55,000 in licence fees – they currently pay $25,000 – as well as salaries for top-up players, venue rent and insurance. Those costs are currently met by Port.

Very interesting to see that Port Melbourne are subsidising the Roos shortfall... More than the cost of a Rookies wage I think (about $25,000)

A major bust-up five weeks ago was smoothed over, but the marriage was severed irretrievably last week when Kangaroos small forward Shane Harvey was selected in the Port Melbourne reserves. Roo officials this week contacted Port to inform it that given, in their view, the agreement had been broken, they would withdraw players from Port training tonight.

I'll head to down to training to see what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

onslaught said:
A major bust-up five weeks ago was smoothed over, but the marriage was severed irretrievably last week when Kangaroos small forward Shane Harvey was selected in the Port Melbourne reserves. Roo officials this week contacted Port to inform it that given, in their view, the agreement had been broken, they would withdraw players from Port training tonight.
Conflicting stories saying who initiated the break up. Still no Harvey in the line up from memory, so it should be an interesting atmosphere on the weekend.

onslaught said:
From the H-S:

The Roos can seek an alliance with Frankston or North Ballarat, or field a stand-alone team. But going it alone would cost the Kangaroos $55,000 in licence fees – they currently pay $25,000 – as well as salaries for top-up players, venue rent and insurance. Those costs are currently met by Port.

Very interesting to see that Port Melbourne are subsidising the Roos shortfall... More than the cost of a Rookies wage I think (about $25,000)

I'll head to down to training to see what happens.

When I saw Shane Harvey Playing for the reserves I thought he must have done something particularly wrong and after all that good work around the week off he must have slid back again

Interesting to see the coach who hasn't really done him any favours to go into bat for him like this (or at least make an issue of it)

What's Harveys form been like ?

I assume not very good ?

Kicked 7 goals against Coburg quite a few weeks back, but quiet since then. They have moved him onto a wing on a few occasions without much success.

Doesnt seem prepared to work hard enough when Port don't have the ball, and I don't think kicking lots of goals would get him back in the side.. I think its more of an attitude thing.

What is the importance of Shane Harvey not playing in the Port twos?

Some of our other listed players (Shore and Jones) have done it and there hasn't been a tanty from our end.

Is Shane Harvey part of our future plans all of a sudden?

yeah his efforts can be very ordinary at times, especially lately.
I don't think saadi is too fond of that judging by the response in some of his coaching moves

so which is further?, frankston or nth ballarat?

I'd say ballarat might be the go. It's got a nth in the name as well!
At the very least there should be an increase in the sale of roos winter gear for the faithfull.

Forget about canberra, no way you would want to be sending players to and fro up there and back every week.

The article from the Age

Time we canned the Roos now - Port
By Karen Lyon
July 29, 2005

The Kangaroos' affiliation with VFL club Port Melbourne appears almost over, with the relationship likely to come to an end once the season finishes.

It is believed that disagreement over selection between Port Melbourne and the Kangaroos was one of the main reasons for the likely split, with the Roos having been told by the Borough - possibly the most famous club in the VFL - that it does not want to continue the affiliation into next year.

Last night, Kangaroos football manager Tim Harrington confirmed the proposed split. "Port Melbourne have informed us they intend to bring a halt to proceedings," he said.

He admitted Port Melbourne's decision did "not particularly" come as a surprise to the Roos.

The merging of AFL and VFL clubs started in 2000, after the traditional AFL reserves competition came to an end at the end of the 1999 season. From that point on, Melbourne-based Victorian clubs have been affiliated with teams from the old VFA.

In 2000, the Kangaroos partnered the Murray Bushrangers, while Port Melbourne formed a team with Sydney, paying homage to the Swans' traditional roots as a team based in South Melbourne. However, the next season, the Kangaroos and Port Melbourne formed a partnership, one that has had some success but also has been charged with tension at times.

Last year, Port Melbourne went within a kick of winning the premiership, losing the grand final to Sandringham by only four points.

Harrington said the club was yet to decide what path it would take next year. "We have no set plans at this stage, we are still concentrating on getting teams into both the VFL finals and the AFL finals," he said.

Port Melbourne is in fifth place on the VFL ladder, with a six-point break over the sixth-placed team, Frankston.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/07/28/1122143969407.html

roo9699 said:
You beat me to the punch! Having an alliance with another AFL club is certainly worth considering though the VFL wouldn't be too happy as the team would be full of AFL-listed players.

onslaught said:
1. Try and field a Canberra side in the VFL
I think this is the path that should be pushed. The AFL should get behind it as it would boost footy in the ACT. Ainslie seems a good fit but I don't know where they stand.

onslaught said:
5. Don't have a side at all. or seek an arrangement where you simply release certain players to local clubs for match fitness.. AFLPA would stop that quicksmart.
It'd be great if we could essentially sub-contract players...

All said and done Ghazi seems to be an A-grade @rseclown.

Would be nice if we could arrange something with Coburg. ( Coburg because of the proximity with North)
If Richmond pulled out, or the Bullants if Carlton pulled out.
Only saying this because of the closeness of those two sides to were i live.
( i know it wont happen) but it would be nice.

Apparently the Port Melbourne president is a hard@rse, hard to get along with, and not a good person to get along with. ( I only heard this)

Screw Port Melbourne Arrogant C**ts

Having heard stories that Ainslie are looking to move the Roos to Canberra permanently and one story (it sounds dodgy but a guy from work who knows people at Ainslie well) was that they were actually quite keen on the new AFL team the Ainslie Kangaroos (!) I'd be a little nervous about pairing up with them. Not that I genuinely think they'd try to take us over or could.

Ainslie are as proud a club as Port Melbourne with a rich history of success. They would not sit well with being a junior partner with NMFC. The only reason they would take it on would be as an eye to eventually relocating them - that would be sooner rather than later.

If funding could be found via the AFL or ACT Gummint to fly teams in and out of Canberra each week it could become a workable scenario to have a stand alone Kangaroos team in the ACTAFL. But for one problem - top up players. There are very rarely enough senior listed players to field a side - where would top up players be sourced from? Sydney already pulls the cream of the Canberra players to top up their side each week(which, as an aside, is a ridiculous rule) and North would have to find them from a competition other than the ACTAFL.

Why not shoot out to Gippsland and form a team out there. Join with teh Gippsland Power and get some of those kids playing as well ....

Remove this Banner Ad

No more Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back