No more Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd Grade Maggy said:
Ainslie are as proud a club as Port Melbourne with a rich history of success. They would not sit well with being a junior partner with NMFC. The only reason they would take it on would be as an eye to eventually relocating them - that would be sooner rather than later.

If funding could be found via the AFL or ACT Gummint to fly teams in and out of Canberra each week it could become a workable scenario to have a stand alone Kangaroos team in the ACTAFL. But for one problem - top up players. There are very rarely enough senior listed players to field a side - where would top up players be sourced from? Sydney already pulls the cream of the Canberra players to top up their side each week(which, as an aside, is a ridiculous rule) and North would have to find them from a competition other than the ACTAFL.

Why not shoot out to Gippsland and form a team out there. Join with teh Gippsland Power and get some of those kids playing as well ....
Don't know where you got the info on the top up players from. They are usually NSW/ACT U18 players. However, you might be referring to Ryan Quade, who we put on a supplementary list, and I believe he was one of the best players from at Queanbeyan.

grimlock said:
Don't know where you got the info on the top up players from. They are usually NSW/ACT U18 players. However, you might be referring to Ryan Quade, who we put on a supplementary list, and I believe he was one of the best players from at Queanbeyan.

You might be right. But a lot of the U18 players also play for their clubs. So you can have the ridiculous situation where a lad travels up to Sydney on his team bus only to play against that team the next day (James Bennet - Belconnen but also RAMS).

But the point is still there - not enough U18 players to go around for 2 teams.

3rd Grade Maggy said:
Ainslie are as proud a club as Port Melbourne with a rich history of success. They would not sit well with being a junior partner with NMFC. The only reason they would take it on would be as an eye to eventually relocating them - that would be sooner rather than later.

Considering that Aylett and his successor appear to be committed to North Melbourne remaining in North Melbourne, being a partner with Ainslie will be a waste of time for both clubs. The issues that have damaged the North Melbourne-Port Melbourne relationship will resurface again. And when things go pear shaped, rightly or wrongly, we will be the guilty party in the eyes of the Canberra football fraternity - and that will cause immense damage to our program of playing games in the ACT.

RooBunny said:
The article from the Age

Time we canned the Roos now - Port
By Karen Lyon
July 29, 2005

It is believed that disagreement over selection between Port Melbourne and the Kangaroos was one of the main reasons for the likely split, with the Roos having been told by the Borough - possibly the most famous club in the VFL - that it does not want to continue the affiliation into next year.

How is it that other VFL clubs like Williamstown, Werribee, Sandringham, Coburg, Box Hill, and co can make their arrangments with their AFL partners work, and yet Port Melbourne haven't been able to work with North Melbourne or Sydney?

MicknArch said:
As a life long North Melbourne and Port Melbourne supporter I'm most dissapointed, but can see why it's happened. I was rapt when they joined forces a few years ago.

Ditto for me, but North comes first.

When we had the Murray Kangaroos and Port were aligned with the Swans, I followed the MKs and Port were just another club. It'll be the same when we either set up our own team or align ourselves with another VFL club.

Shinboners said:
How is it that other VFL clubs like Williamstown, Werribee, Sandringham, Coburg, Box Hill, and co can make their arrangments with their AFL partners work, and yet Port Melbourne haven't been able to work with North Melbourne or Sydney?

Ports alignment with Sydney was okay, one of the major reasons that the alignment stopped was the ongoing costs of travel.

Initially 10 Swans players were flown down, but the following year it was increased to 12...plus assistant coaches and support staff meant there was quite number flying in each week.

I think Williamstown made a few too many concessions.. with a Collingwood coach, changing the club song... and worst of all wearing Collingwood guernseys a few years back.. (Thankfully that won't happen again).

Also, look for Coburg to drop the Tigers tag at seasons end.

Unlike Mick'n'Arch & Shinners - I've never have a soft spot for Port. Have always considered them filth of Collingwood proportions - and always felt uneasy about our alliance with them from the beginning.

That bias stems back from the 80's when playing against them in the old VFA days. Most feral supporters I have ever encountered (even worse than the missing links who frequented the animal enclosure down at Moorabbin).

Big statement, as every club has it's bad eggs, but they left a lasting impression on me (along with a fair bit of phlegm and long necks in brown paper bags hurled in my direction).

But as certain as Carlton are a rabble, we'll have a feeder/reserves team in 2006. Can only hope Port don't frig around with our fringe players and disrupt our perparation for the AFL players over the next few weeks.

Shinboners said:
Ditto for me, but North comes first.

When we had the Murray Kangaroos and Port were aligned with the Swans, I followed the MKs and Port were just another club. It'll be the same when we either set up our own team or align ourselves with another VFL club.

Yeah, North always came first for me too, especially when Port were aligned with the Swans. Always made it easier to barrack against the Burra when the likes of Troy Luff were running around with them.

3rd Grade Maggy said:
Why not shoot out to Gippsland and form a team out there. Join with teh Gippsland Power and get some of those kids playing as well ....

There's a footy ground at Welshpool not being used!!!!

Shinboners said:

I think the reason Port hasnt fitted well with both Roos and Swans is Peter Saultry,Saade Ghazi and Peter Filandia wanting to be a stand alone team but still being supported by an AFL team-problem is there is no in between - it has to be one or the other - the other thing i have realised why the other clubs seem to work is that ive noticed that all the VFL clubs coaches are actually employed by their AFL team - where i think Ghazi is employed by Port Melbourne - you never ...ever...see Ghazi in the Kangaroos box on TV at all on match days - but you see Andy Collins in the Hawthorn box as the Box Hill coach,Brad Gotch in Collingwood box as Willi coach,Barry Mitchell in Blues box as Bullants coach,Matthew Knights although not in Essendon box is still employed by Essendon i believe (stand to be corrected).
The other team like Port is coach Mark Williams at Sandy which doesnt seem to be involved at Melbourne - but i hear they have a smooth relationship.
Im not sure about Simon Atkins at werribee or the Coburg situation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but just saw it on the local news...

Negotiations have started between Tassie Devils and North Melbourne to align the two clubs. At the moment I think it's only talk, but who would like this?

I would absolutely love it, as I go for Tassie in the VFL (live in tas), and would love to see some north players.

kangaroo19 said:

Negotiations have started between Tassie Devils and North Melbourne to align the two clubs. At the moment I think it's only talk, but who would like this?

I would absolutely love it, as I go for Tassie in the VFL (live in tas), and would love to see some north players.
I think it will become just too hard for us to keep shipping blokes off to Tassy every second week.

kangaroo19 said:

I think North will be looking at all options, including Tassie, but logistically that would be very difficult and expensive. There'll certainly be some urgent talks with Frankston and North Ballarat arranged soon! Can't see us wanting to play in another league so ,one way or the other, it'll be VFL.

Lidge said:
I caught Geoff Walsh on SEN approx 6.15pm tonight speaking on the subject.

While our problems with Port have been well documented, it was Port Melbourne who gave us the arse. This was not a mutual decision. Our club's management were informed 10 days ago, although it only became official in writing today.

There are 3 VFL stand alone clubs who are potential affiliates for 2006 (if that's the way we want to go).

1. Frankston 2. North Ballarat 3. Tassie (with the former being the most geographically suitable).

Port Melbourne must have some pig headed people on their board. They were heading down the gurgler very quickly only a few years back when they had no choice but to former an affiliation with the Sydney Swans. That soured, we stepped in and filled the breach and that has also soured & dissolved. I doubt any other AFL club would want to touch them in the future. Unless they have managed to turn there finances around, I'd expect them to really struggle and suffer the same fate as most other VFA clubs (which are no longer with us).

Interesting to see which direction our club follows. Affiliation or stand alone. resurrect the Murray Kangas would be popular but expensive.

Casey is out of the equation now days. Perhaps a new affiliation with a suburban power house (such as Vermont) and enter a new team into the VFL?

My personal favourite would be to align with the Ovens & Murray League (traditional country zone) - but logistically, (Albury 3 hrs away, Wangaratta 2.5 hrs away) probably too difficult.

If the annual tab is $250,000 to maintain a reserves team - an opportunity exists for a creative and new corporate sponsorship. A challenge for our marketing/sponsorship team to find some extra $$ from the business community.

An affiliation with Vermont would be ideal but whether we could afford it is another hurdle.It would be like standing on our own.
Vermont is certainly a powerhouse in the EFL, and favourites for another flag in 2005. They may see a step up to the VFL as a progressive step for them.

The Roos management should pursue this an alternative.

Maybe John Holland could be a sponsor for the footy version of the Eastern Link? :D

"Interesting to see which direction our club follows. Affiliation or stand alone. resurrect the Murray Kangas would be popular but expensive.

Casey is out of the equation now days. Perhaps a new affiliation with a suburban power house (such as Vermont) and enter a new team into the VFL?"

In the past few years we've jumped from horse to horse :mad: :eek: .

Hopefully we'll make a decision that has some form of permanency about it this time. Saving a few bucks is not the issue. The AFL will support us as long as we make the RIGHT decision for the future of the AFL and VFL (and most importantly us of course).

And that doesn't mean something to tide us over until the next time we are forced or decide to change direction.

ThommoRoo23 said:
I have inside mail from the NMFC that Port Melbourne and St Kilda will be aligned next year.

if this is true it would explain why they would dump us, but i bet that theyll only be to happy to play saints players:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

No more Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back