No more "Special Guests" on AFL programs

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously I must be the odd one out.

I stand corrected. I guess "we" are all the odd ones out, because they keep on following the formula.

Whilst on the subject, the reason I want to watch shows about footy is for footy analysis first, entertainment second. Therefore shows like The Footy Show, Before the Game & The Game Plan to a lesser extent are definite "steer clear" zones. If I want comedy I'll watch Seinfeld.

I don't have pay TV, so I cannot comment on those programs, but here is my rundown of the FTA shows:

Footy Classified:
Positives - Usually no guest on.
Negatives - Not a big fan of Hutchy. Spends too much time discussing off-field issues, such as which board members are unhappy, what's tweaks the AFL is making to the drugs policy and who just signed a 5-year contract.

One Week at a Time:
Positivies - First segment is guest free. Usually show a graph highlighting an interesting trend in recent weeks such as Contested Possession victories translating into overall victories.
Negatives - Robert Walls offers no insight despite his excellent record as a coach and player. Luke Darcy contributes nothing rarely daring to offer an opinion. It's blatantly obvious why Eddie McGuire's career went in the opposite direction to Steve Quartermaine's despite both being on a par when they started. Needless to say, guest litter the remainder of the show after the first segment.

Gameday:
Positives - Robbo provides some good insight. Leigh Matthews rarely says anything needless.
Negatives - David Schwarz, guests (both regular and special), and a definite focus on light entertainment rather than analysis.

The Game Plan:
Positivies - Huddo is a decent host. Despite a light entertainment focus, occasionally some insight is presented.
Negatives - Matthew Lloyd makes David Schwarz look like Tom Harley. Scott Cummings makes Matthew Lloyd look like David Schwarz.

Before the Game:
Positives - None.
Negatives - Focus on comedy. Use comedians to discuss football rather than those involved with footy. Mick Molloy isn't (or doesn't give the impression that he is) even interested in footy.

The Footy Show:
Positives - None.
Negatives - Focus on comedy rather than football. Use footballers to provide comedy rather than comedians. "Jumped the Shark" 10 years ago.

On the Radio it's a little better. Finey's Final Siren is usually pretty solid. Just seems to focus too much and the twilight game that's just finished. Gerard Healy on AW during the week isn't bad at times. Saturday or Sunday around 11am can be worthwhile also. Not sure what the program's called but it's on SEN. (Of Course!)

Yeah, spot on. I always dread when they have player or coach interviews, especially on Footy Classified. That 10-15 minutes is basically a right off.

"the final siren" on ONE is the dullest of all football shows. chrisso at least gets animated during discussion but chris grant looks like a deer caught in headlights and basically repeats the "kicks truly" line during his recap of games shown.

Players for sure. I watch On The Couch religiously but switch off (mentally, not literally) as soon as the player interview segment starts. Unless it's a Freo player of course, but that only happens once every... never.

Coaches are a different story though. I generally find the OTC segments with them quite interesting viewing.

Yep tough to get an interstate guest OTC. Tired of seeing same Victorian teams represented.
Happy to have no guest.

Anyone else just switch off On The Couch once the special guest comes on? I pretty much treat it like a half hour show now and it is much more enjoyable than listening to each guest rattle the same shit out that the last one did.

Remove this Banner Ad

No more "Special Guests" on AFL programs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back