Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Good old England in a spot of bother now after going down to Australia overnight. Not even claiming a moral victory (yet)
Piers will find one.

I reckon Australia could possibly nurse the Scots into the next stage and knock England out next Sunday.

If scotland beat Oman it will be mean England have to win both of there games and make up a shit load of NRR to get ahead of them.

If the Scots are equal with England and ahead of NRR when we play Scotland in the last group game. We beat scotland but not by a large margin to ensure they go through.

Easier bowling first and chasing down 120 odd perhaps in the 18th over to keep the Scots NRR above England for example or something like that just take it to the 2nd or 3rd last over whatever the target.

What incentive do we have to help England go through.

Piers will find one.

I reckon Australia could possibly nurse the Scots into the next stage and knock England out next Sunday.

If scotland beat Oman it will be mean England have to win both of there games and make up a shit load of NRR to get ahead of them.

If the Scots are equal with England and ahead of NRR when we play Scotland in the last group game. We beat scotland but not by a large margin to ensure they go through.

Easier bowling first and chasing down 120 odd perhaps in the 18th over to keep the Scots NRR above England for example or something like that just take it to the 2nd or 3rd last over whatever the target.

What incentive do we have to help England go through.
I can't be bothered looking up the permutations, but if there is a possibility of England finishing second forcing them to play a team in the knockouts we rate as a harder match up in the final we might take it.

Although deliberately batting NZ out of the '99 world cup in that match against the West Indies caused such agnst they're still whining about it now, and that was in a circumstance where it was in our interest to so (super six carry over points).

Imagine the frothing of the inbred suits if we eliminated England deliberately just because we could...

Hell what am I saying?! Make it so!

Should be an interesting end to the cricket here. Australia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh all with a genuine chance of going through. Hopefully doesn't wash out (unless you're an Afghanistan fan)

Should be an interesting end to the cricket here. Australia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh all with a genuine chance of going through. Hopefully doesn't wash out (unless you're an Afghanistan fan)
June 25, 2024

The day that Cricket Australia is relying on a result between 2 genuine cricket heavyweights Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

June 25, 2024

The day that Cricket Australia is relying on a result between 2 genuine cricket heavyweights Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
Afghanistan is a pretty decent team in T20s these days.

Sure we should beat them but they've beaten more test playing nations than they've lost to this tournament.

Think it's karma for the selectors tbh. Picking a middle order with nothing but hitters and have no genuine batters in reserve was always going to bring us undone on a tough wicket. There's an obsession with boundary hitters but batters that can actually bat in tough conditions are what wins you games when it gets tough - I said the same at the WC last year - we kept those guys in the side and won the tournament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afghanistan's success is actually good for cricket, other than them not allowing women to play
Thats the moral dilemma unfortunately.

But yes who would have thought 10-15 years Afghanistan would be a success in cricket.

Cricket needs more strong nations.

The continued India, England, Australia dominance isn't really that good for the sport. Its just getting further and further apart.

West Indies have fallen away, South Africa are a political minefield.

Pakistan are a lottery with Bi-polar you never know what your going to get.

NZ are toilers and honest citizens who punch above there weight but never really a major threat to Australia.

Sri Lanka are also-rans these days.

Bangladesh have never seemed capable of any success.

The Afghans throwing themselves into the ring with a strong cricket side is the wild card for international cricket atm.

Afghanistan is a pretty decent team in T20s these days.

Sure we should beat them but they've beaten more test playing nations than they've lost to this tournament.

Think it's karma for the selectors tbh. Picking a middle order with nothing but hitters and have no genuine batters in reserve was always going to bring us undone on a tough wicket. There's an obsession with boundary hitters but batters that can actually bat in tough conditions are what wins you games when it gets tough - I said the same at the WC last year - we kept those guys in the side and won the tournament.
Well it took a freak Glenn Maxwell innings to beat Afghanistan last year.

That result has been brewing for a while. Afghans probably have lacked that mental belief they could beat us as they have been close.

I haven't rated Stoinis for a long time plus he looks like a flog. And when it comes to the crunch never delivers.

Your right last year picking Labuschange ahead of Stoinis in the semi's and final was crucial and probably was the difference in us winning the ODI WC.

Does Travis Head win us the WC final if Marnus isnt at the other end just holding up an end. I dont think Stoinis plays the roll Marnus would have in the final.

Marnus was just as important as Head in that run-chase ensuring the momentum India had didnt continue and sucked the life out of them while Trav went on the attack.

Well it took a freak Glenn Maxwell innings to beat Afghanistan last year.

That result has been brewing for a while. Afghans probably have lacked that mental belief they could beat us as they have been close.

I haven't rated Stoinis for a long time plus he looks like a flog. And when it comes to the crunch never delivers.

Your right last year picking Labuschange ahead of Stoinis in the semi's and final was crucial and probably was the difference in us winning the ODI WC.

Does Travis Head win us the WC final if Marnus isnt at the other end just holding up an end. I dont think Stoinis plays the roll Marnus would have in the final.

Marnus was just as important as Head in that run-chase ensuring the momentum India had didnt continue and sucked the life out of them while Trav went on the attack.

Tim David is the one I wouldn’t have in the side when we know it’s going to be a struggle to score runs.

Steve Smith should’ve been picked in the squad instead of Cam Green and should’ve been bought in when conditions got tough. I’m fine playing David in conditions where a 180+ score is required.

Thing about Maxwell is tough conditions don’t seem to bother him. Good player of spin which helps.

Tim David is the one I wouldn’t have in the side when we know it’s going to be a struggle to score runs.

Steve Smith should’ve been picked in the squad instead of Cam Green and should’ve been bought in when conditions got tough. I’m fine playing David in conditions where a 180+ score is required.

Thing about Maxwell is tough conditions don’t seem to bother him. Good player of spin which helps.
Definitely the wrong squad for the area it was played in.

I am based in Sydney, but have never got into league. That has now changed - go the Perth Bears!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back