Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

I had no idea Graham Thorpe, English cricketer died on the 4th of August after committing suicide by jumping in front of a train. He had mental health issues.

Always felt he played cricket like an Australian.
RIP & as always check in on your mates.
He jumped in front of a train..?!?! I had read he took his own life, but I'm not one for chasing gruesome details as a general rule and this, I didn't know. This is so sad, I had a mate at school whose 18 year old did the same back in 2021. Just heartbreaking stuff

Suicide and cricket is unfortunately in frequent conjunction. It's very common at just below the top level (top level grade cricket and the equivalents) where people are seen by themselves as having failed to progress to the top level.

Anecdotally common at amateur level. Was just pondering on it: Of the 4 people I personally have known in their life who have committed suicide, 3 were lifelong cricketers (one of those was falling more into the first category than the second).

He jumped in front of a train..?!?! I had read he took his own life, but I'm not one for chasing gruesome details as a general rule and this, I didn't know. This is so sad, I had a mate at school whose 18 year old did the same back in 2021. Just heartbreaking stuff
I only got the information from watching the Eng v Sri Lanka test match. They had a memorial piece in one of the breaks where they mentioned that the family had confirmed it was suicide.

I only got the information from watching the Eng v Sri Lanka test match. They had a memorial piece in one of the breaks where they mentioned that the family had confirmed it was suicide.
I just tend to watch highlights on YT. Such a delicate life it can be, RIP to Thorpy; such a terrible predicament to feel you have no choice to be in. I really feel for his family and for people who drive trains in these scenarios, it must be heart-wrenching :(

Friend of a friend I met a couple of times is - was - a train driver. Someone jumped in front of a train he was driving a couple of years ago. He now has severe PTSD and is pretty much ****ed for life.
Horrifically sad situation for Graham Thorpe, but if you’re going to suicide - don’t take down an innocent person just doing their job with you.

So the Aussie selector's have brought in some teenager from Cowtown.. Mahli Beardman.

Just as a squad option. But still... Anyone here know much about the guy? Must be an exciting prospect if they're showing him some kudos this early.

So the Aussie selector's have brought in some teenager from Cowtown.. Mahli Beardman.

Just as a squad option. But still... Anyone here know much about the guy? Must be an exciting prospect if they're showing him some kudos this early.
I think it's pretty bonkers and without knowing the full state of injuries at the moment, would imagine there are bemused pacers around the country.

Even from u19 age group I'd have thought Vidler was ahead of him. Definite talent with his pace and control (for his age) but would have thought he's years off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's pretty bonkers and without knowing the full state of injuries at the moment, would imagine there are bemused pacers around the country.

Even from u19 age group I'd have thought Vidler was ahead of him. Definite talent with his pace and control (for his age) but would have thought he's years off.
CA trying save $500 on flights?

Both Vidler and Beardman have played one state game (Vidler's was a Shield, Beardman 50 over). I think the simplest explanation is that rate Beardman higher (I gather he's a yard quicker for start), despite most of the press going to Vidler.

AFL is the only sport I follow the junior pathways to an extent so I have zero clue when it comes to cricket. But crikey! That's gotta piss off some genuine journeymen right? I thought he was some teenage prodigy based of this.

Also, who's this Vidler bloke?

Anyway it's a strong U19 group these guys came out of. Could be the basis of another dominant side.
We were genuinely looking to be a bit light on pacers strangely enough since we cant keep Richo on the park. Beardman and Vidler hopefully go a ways to fixing that

AFL is the only sport I follow the junior pathways to an extent so I have zero clue when it comes to cricket. But crikey! That's gotta piss off some genuine journeymen right? I thought he was some teenage prodigy based of this.

Also, who's this Vidler bloke?
Dont get me wrong, he's very promising, but not Pat Cummins 19 type prodigy I wouldnt have thought. Vidler is a QLD kid equally promising.

from the sounds of it there's quite a few either injured/coming back from injury they don’t want to risk (Morris for example). still surprised they went him over buckingham or O’Neil that were two fit snubbed players code sports cited. that said still approve of having a Dampier product in the squad

from the sounds of it there's quite a few either injured/coming back from injury they don’t want to risk (Morris for example). still surprised they went him over buckingham or O’Neil that were two fit snubbed players code sports cited. that said still approve of having a Dampier product in the squad
O'Neil is just too bleh for international cricket I think, despite his record and I suppose realistically he's just carrying drinks anyway so better not to waste others time

Has played one game at state level. Got to be some type of record tbh.

Tbf I have no idea what the selectors are doing half the time. They recently picked RIley Meredith lol. At least Beardman might one day be international standard - Meredith isn't in the top 20 quicks in Australia IMO and might even be at his peak (good pace but offers nothing else).

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back