Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the AFL’s free agency compo formula going up with the wages?
Seems like anyone can get 1st round compo these days except us?
I wonder if there could be some kind of formula where you bank your compo picks from free agents leaving and use them over a time period for father/sons & NGA's? Having it all mess with the draft is frustrating for everyone

I wonder if there could be some kind of formula where you bank your compo picks from free agents leaving and use them over a time period for father/sons & NGA's? Having it all mess with the draft is frustrating for everyone
Sounds pretty sensible, so can’t see it being introduced.

Names on the back of jumpers are stupid. Literally how stupid are you if you cant look up a players number.
Actually I wonder if names were on the back of Guernseys if "the footy record" sales would go down. I just assumed the AFL want the space so clubs have more advertising space hence more money.

Actually I wonder if names were on the back of Guernseys if "the footy record" sales would go down. I just assumed the AFL want the space so clubs have more advertising space hence more money.
1 article did mention advertising. They also brought up the size of the ground and that you can't read them anyway with players across the field

No mention of if it was of a benefit to people watching broadcasts

Contrary to popular belief and the way they act and govern, the AFL arent as stupid as they made out. They would have looked at this many times through concept designs. One of the biggest problems is that names just wont take up space, names also vary in length. Its ok for Walker, Smith, Laird etc. They can have their names in large readable font that is easy to see. But then when you get to Thilthorpe, Gallagher, himmelberg etc than it starts getting pointless because the font has to shrink. Then Hyphinated names like Horne-Francis, Ugle-Hagen it looks messy.

So advertising space is one part but then length of names becomes an issue.

Contrary to popular belief and the way they act and govern, the AFL arent as stupid as they made out. They would have looked at this many times through concept designs. One of the biggest problems is that names just wont take up space, names also vary in length. Its ok for Walker, Smith, Laird etc. They can have their names in large readable font that is easy to see. But then when you get to Thilthorpe, Gallagher, himmelberg etc than it starts getting pointless because the font has to shrink. Then Hyphinated names like Horne-Francis, Ugle-Hagen it looks messy.

So advertising space is one part but then length of names becomes an issue.
No more than any other sport though

Doesnt mean it works though from a practical perspective. Its more about marketing and sales with a lot of sports because players take a % as part of their income.

But even in basketball, soccer you arent reading the names. Serves no purpose.
But those who want or need to read the names can.
Of course it serves a purpose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL is played on an exceptionally large field compared to other sports that have names on the back. The actual readability of names on the back of jumpers in a stadium watching AFL is very low
Cricket? Baseball?

I'm surprised they don't in AFL but am not fussed either way

In soccer or AFL?

No one needs to read the names. Doesnt matter the sport. It would be like watching a movie or TV show and everytime the actor is on screen at the bottom it has their real name under their character. Are you there to watch the name on the back of the tops or to watch the sport and be entertained. In the length of time it takes to try and focus on number 3, get a glimpse of his name enough for me to understand who it is, I could literally get my phone out, get on the AFL app, look at the lineups and it has everything I need to know. All within 15 seconds.

No one needs to read the names. Doesnt matter the sport. It would be like watching a movie or TV show and everytime the actor is on screen at the bottom it has their real name under their character. Are you there to watch the name on the back of the tops or to watch the sport and be entertained. In the length of time it takes to try and focus on number 3, get a glimpse of his name enough for me to understand who it is, I could literally get my phone out, get on the AFL app, look at the lineups and it has everything I need to know. All within 15 seconds.
Maybe the AFL's stance will catch on!

And that’s 15 seconds you’ve missed? What’s so offensive about names on the back of jumpers?
It’s not like it will cost any more or affect anyone who isn’t interested in it.
Why do players need numbers?
The movie analogy is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Cricket? Baseball?

I'm surprised they don't in AFL but am not fussed either way

I've been to a few cricket matches at the MCG where the player names are on the back and on level 4 - where you most need something to identify the players - I couldn't read them.

Ultimately I don't really care whether there are player names or not, I just think practically speaking they are pretty useless

And that’s 15 seconds you’ve missed? What’s so offensive about names on the back of jumpers?
It’s not like it will cost any more or affect anyone who isn’t interested in it.
Why do players need numbers?
The movie analogy is ridiculous.

because they are pointless, long names are too hard to read.

No it isnt. the movie analogy is 100% spot on. Its the same thing. Whose that actor?

Look if you need the names on gurnseys because looking it up is way too hard for you, well you are just the type of supporter that will ruin it for everyone else.

Because the game is pretty boring if you don’t know who people are.

Again, look it up. The commentators tell you. At the ground they are too far away. Thats why you have numbers. So you can look it up. Its not hard man! Imagine what it was like before the internet and your phones. You had to read a magazine.....OMG right! The horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back