Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Page 13: Channel 7 to unleash new show built around Kane Cornes​

Star recruit and former Fireman Kane Cornes is set to shake up the footy TV landscape in 2025 with a new show — but it will leave some ‘banal’ Channel 7 stars on the outer.

Alice Coster and Scott Gullan

2 min read
August 30, 2024 - 1:56PM

Channel 7 is set to unleash a new show built around agenda-setter Kane Cornes as part of a major shake-up of its football programs.
The bombshell move of poaching Cornes from Channel 9 this week has raised the stakes in the TV football wars for 2025.

It’s likely Seven will use their new signing in a head-to-head battle on Monday nights against rival established football programs Footy Classified on Channel 9 (which Cornes was on) and Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

But the future of Seven’s current panel show, Talking Footy on Wednesday nights, is clouded.

The show has failed to grab viewers with the line-up of former champions Trent Cotchin and Joel Selwood, Tim Watson and James Brayshaw not gelling.

“They want attitude rather than the current banality,” is how one Seven insider described the planned changes.

Kane Cornes has been brought in to shake up Channel 7’s banal coverage, according to one insider.

Kane Cornes has been brought in to shake up Channel 7’s banal coverage, according to one insider.
Cornes is likely to be joined by former Hawthorn premiership captain Luke Hodge, who is the network’s main Friday night analyst on the new show which will raise the bar in hard-hitting opinions.

The signing of the Port Adelaide premiership player and 300-gamer was instigated by Seven’s new director of sport Chris Jones and was his first big statement in the role.

Jones replaced long-time boss Lewis Martin in June after he was let go during a mass axing that saw 150 jobs cut.

“Kane is an agenda setter who backs up his opinion with an unrivalled work ethic and passion for the game,” Jones said this week.

“Kane’s demonstrated history of sharing his hard-hitting opinions with footy fans, paired with his signature candid commentary will take Seven’s AFL coverage to a new level in 2025.”

Cornes admitted he had already rubbed several of the Channel 7 team up the wrong way and he’d have to try and smooth things over with the likes of Luke Darcy and Matthew Richardson.

“Richo hates me because I’m critical of Richmond, Darce and I have had it out … I don’t think he’s my biggest fan.

“I don’t think Trent (Cotchin) is a big fan either, but everyone else should be fine.”

It’s believed Cornes’ criticism of Cotchin’s social media appearance for Seven angered Martin who many believe wouldn’t have chased his signature if he’d remained in the job.

Cornes will team up with the station’s rising star, former Collingwood premiership wingman Dale Thomas, in the special comments chair on Thursday nights next season.

The Friday night line-up of Hodge alongside Brian Taylor, Richardson and Brayshaw is set to remain.

Cornes, who still lives in South Australia, will also appear on Seven’s coverage of Adelaide games plus across the network’s multiple platforms, delivering opinion and analysis throughout the week.

He will continue his radio gig with SEN where he appears on the breakfast show and co-hosts Sportday,
Cornes/Hodge will be a much better watch than the current Talking Footy. I'm assuming it'll be just 7's version of FC

For all those Kane lovers out there. Now headline story on the H/Sun. I tried quickly editing (taking out 2004 GF celebrations mainly)

Kane Cornes Q&A: Jon Anderson asks the big questions of Channel 7’s prized football media signing​

Like him or not, everyone has an opinion on Kane Cornes. But what’s he really like? JON ANDERSON goes one-on-one with footy media’s most-wanted man.

Kane Cornes, Channel 7’s prized football signing for 2025, has promised a “significant change” for the network’s audience when he first picks up a microphone as a special commentator.
Cornes, 41, has the playing credentials to back his forthright opinions given he was a Port Adelaide four-time best and fairest winner, premiership on-baller and 300-game player with the Power, even if by his own standards he was “slow and not very talented”.

Jon Anderson: When did you think you may take the media path?

Kane Cornes: Not at all in my early years as a player because I was so focused on being the best I could be. I didn’t really have a second option although I did learn from Dad (Graham) and KG (Ken Cunningham) when they were at their peak on 5AA.

JA: Have you always been forthright?

KC: As a player I wasn’t a good leader because I was too focused on getting the best out of myself. Not selfish, even though some could have seen me that way. In terms of being forthright in the media ... as I established myself as a player the club started to put me up in front of the media, which I quite enjoyed. I can’t see the point in doing the role if you aren’t honest in your opinions.

Kane Cornes won’t be changing his ways in the new role. Picture SARAH REED

JA: Most of us in life don’t seek confrontation but it doesn’t seem to bother you?

KC: It doesn’t because my focus is on what makes compelling content, as distinct from boring. Not contrived content, just speaking your mind. That’s good TV for me and what I want to listen to. I like talkback callers ringing up to have a go at me.

JA: Do people in footy ever have a crack at you face to face?

KC: Oh yeah (laughter). Not weekly, but often enough. I like coaches ringing me to give me further context which is helpful. Maybe twice I’ve had a call from the AFL to say I’d gone too far. Once was regarding Toby Greene when I thought the umpires were being really hard on him.

JA: Have you tempered your approach since the guns-blazing early days?

KC: I might be a bit calmer. I was a bit more ruthless in the early days and maybe didn’t have the balance quite right.

Cornes and Patrick Dangerfield in 2017.

Kane Cornes Q&A: Jon Anderson asks the big questions of Channel 7’s prized football media signing
Like him or not, everyone has an opinion on Kane Cornes. But what’s he really like? JON ANDERSON goes one-on-one with footy media’s most-wanted man.
Jon Anderson

5 min read
August 31, 2024 - 3:00PM

19 comments

4f433bdf0b4047b6dca3b8cbb8ab2fb6

00:54
Kane Cornes labels Crows star a laughing stock

Kane Cornes labels Crows star a laughing stock

AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Kane Cornes, Channel 7’s prized football signing for 2025, has promised a “significant change” for the network’s audience when he first picks up a microphone as a special commentator.
Cornes, 41, has the playing credentials to back his forthright opinions given he was a Port Adelaide four-time best and fairest winner, premiership on-baller and 300-game player with the Power, even if by his own standards he was “slow and not very talented”.
Jon Anderson: When did you think you may take the media path?
Kane Cornes: Not at all in my early years as a player because I was so focused on being the best I could be. I didn’t really have a second option although I did learn from Dad (Graham) and KG (Ken Cunningham) when they were at their peak on 5AA.
JA: Have you always been forthright?
KC: As a player I wasn’t a good leader because I was too focused on getting the best out of myself. Not selfish, even though some could have seen me that way. In terms of being forthright in the media ... as I established myself as a player the club started to put me up in front of the media, which I quite enjoyed. I can’t see the point in doing the role if you aren’t honest in your opinions.

JA: Most of us in life don’t seek confrontation but it doesn’t seem to bother you?
KC: It doesn’t because my focus is on what makes compelling content, as distinct from boring. Not contrived content, just speaking your mind. That’s good TV for me and what I want to listen to. I like talkback callers ringing up to have a go at me.
JA: Do people in footy ever have a crack at you face to face?
KC: Oh yeah (laughter). Not weekly, but often enough. I like coaches ringing me to give me further context which is helpful. Maybe twice I’ve had a call from the AFL to say I’d gone too far. Once was regarding Toby Greene when I thought the umpires were being really hard on him.
JA: Have you tempered your approach since the guns-blazing early days?
KC: I might be a bit calmer. I was a bit more ruthless in the early days and maybe didn’t have the balance quite right.

JA: I thought you were hard on Patrick Dangerfield back in 2018 when you thought he exaggerated injuries?
KC: I thought he was milking injuries, being quite theatrical, almost like a soccer player. I don’t shy away from it and he doesn’t do it now. But he’s also the most competitive player I’ve seen and his attack on the football is as good as anyone I’ve ever seen. We did have it out at the time but we get on fine these days.
JA: In your football lifetime, who would you pay to watch?
KC: My brother Chad and I were fanatical Crows fans and as such Tony Modra would be number one. He was huge, so magical, good looking, quietly spoken and modest.
JA: What about today’s game?
KC:Two years ago I said Hawthorn was irrelevant. There was no player whose jumper I would buy. Now there are eight or nine. I love watching so many of them.
JA: How tight are you with Port Adelaide these days?
KC: Ken Hinkley is as good a person I’ve met in football. A great coach and family man. He turned the place around and for that I will be forever thankful.
JA: Who wins this year?
KC: I think John Longmire and Sydney will make the grand final. After that I’m not sure because each team has an area of weakness.

JA: Take me back to your boxing debut this year against Nathan Brown?
KC: It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done and the most stressed I’ve ever been. You go into a ring where someone wants to knock your head off, plus most people watching on TV and the 4000 in the stadium. But I am proud of myself for doing it and at least surviving.

JA: In your role you give regular critiques of players. Critique Kane Cornes as a player?

KC: I was the second slowest player over 20m at the draft camp and I wasn’t as talented as many others. I actually thought at that 2000 draft camp that my AFL dream was already over. But I found a way. I had a huge motor, I hated being beaten and I was very determined. As a player I lacked talent and there was nothing special about my game but I was well coached and was given roles that suited what I brought to the team.

JA: How hard was it to leave Channel 9 for Channel 7?

KC: In the end it was an easy call even if that isn’t the answer most people would expect. I’ve always been ambitious and had a go, and I’ve been toiling away for 10 years at this media game. I’ve done a lot of flying hours and I wanted to work with a network that had the football rights where I could be behind the microphone on the biggest games. But Channel 9 was great to me.

JA: What can we expect from you as a special commentator? Hopefully some opinions because there are a lack of them at present.

KC: My style that you know will remain my style. That’s what Seven wants. I think it will be a significant change for Seven’s audience.

JA: You played a run-with or tagger role. Was there a player who consistently troubled you?

KC: Brent Harvey was my hardest opponent, so determined to run you into the ground, equally as good in the midfield as he was forward, someone who would turn one possession into three. He could have been a Hall of Fame half-back in today’s game. Gary Ablett was probably the best player I played against.

JA: Who do you admire in the media?

KC: I’m a big admirer of what Caroline Wilson has been able to do and the work she has put in and Matty Lloyd has been just a joy to work alongside. He has a really good balance in his comments.

JA: How much time do you spend in Melbourne?

KC: Three nights a week which might change a little.

JA: You are only 41 yet have been with your wife, Lucy, for 26 years?

KC: We started dating when I was 15 in Year 10 and have been inseparable since. I’ve been blessed to have met Lucy. We were married when I was 22 and have three boys in Eddy, 18, Raph, 16, and Sonny, 14. Lucy is a very positive person which is good for me because sometimes I can be a bit negative.

Power now into second fave for flag @ 5.5-1 vs Swannies 4.5-1 and GWS 6-1 (Sportsbet).

GWS has played 5 double up games vs finalists compared to 1 for Power (8th placed Blues) - for those that believe fixturing matters for a teams success.

My prediction is GF either

Swans vs GWS

Or

Power vs either Swans / Giants

Either way, Power not winning flag based on their blessed run of the EASIEST fixture in the whole season combined with lots of very small margin victories. With a couple of injuries now creeping in the game is up - even when they likely beat Cats next Thursday

Power now into second fave for flag @ 5.5-1 vs Swannies 4.5-1 and GWS 6-1 (Sportsbet).

GWS has played 5 double up games vs finalists compared to 1 for Power (8th placed Blues) - for those that believe fixturing matters for a teams success.

My prediction is GF either

Swans vs GWS

Or

Power vs either Swans / Giants

Either way, Power not winning flag based on their blessed run of the EASIEST fixture in the whole season combined with lots of very small margin victories. With a couple of injuries now creeping in the game is up - even when they likely beat Cats next Thursday
Would expect the odds to be roughly in order of the top 8, given the home advantages & double chances.

Geelong seem to have about 12 key defenders playing each game (all with long blonde hair) and they get away with it.
Lots of headbands at the cats. Lots!

...I serve it up to the locals as the club nodding to tradition...and using the folklore handbag strap in the hair of most of the players.

We then seem to quickly turn to Dangerfield, then premierships, then Stengel and finish with our Kardinia Park record. I skulk away at that point knowing my joke carried about as much punch as the past two decades of unbroken losses in Geelong for the Crows.

Maybe we need more headbands? Would Luko play better with one? 😜

Lots of headbands at the cats. Lots!

...I serve it up to the locals as the club nodding to tradition...and using the folklore handbag strap in the hair of most of the players.

We then seem to quickly turn to Dangerfield, then premierships, then Stengel and finish with our Kardinia Park record. I skulk away at that point knowing my joke carried about as much punch as the past two decades of unbroken losses in Geelong for the Crows.

Maybe we need more headbands? Would Luko play better with one? 😜
Geelong also have a coach with fabulous hair. Both on his head and face. You can tell he looks after his hair as well as he looks after his tactical positioning for the downfield intercept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am keen for Swans vs Giants GF.

Will be the first “showdown” GF and would be fun to watch.

Problem is it will probably kick off another royal commission into what’s wrong with VIC football.
The Swans-Giants rivalry is contrived, since GWS as a club is an unwanted contrivance. An average home attendance of 12,275 - even worse than Gold Coast despite making finals most years - is a disgrace.

I can't believe Sam Docherty might play in the final against Brisbane after doing his ACL in round 1 also against Brisbane, that's only like 6 months and he's done 3 ACLs! Bloody crazy

Love the irony of the “HERITAGE” banner at Alberton Oval tonight and the temporary stand when barely 800 of their supporters turn up to a “Port Magpies” game…..and why don’t they play NTUA at a PM home game? ….so much marketing ****tardary

If those stands remain for the rest of the season there they use it as a tarp given how sparsely populated the stands were Saturday night.

If those stands remain for the rest of the season there they use it as a tarp given how sparsely populated the stands were Saturday night.
We wanted to sit up there but you apparently had to pay for it. Never had that option when I bought tickets. It was bloody freezing anyways and they were in the full face of the wind.

My god the state of media in this country is appalling. “Elite school plunged into crisis”. And people “fear for their safety”. FFS.

I can't believe students have been expelled over that. It's a blazer, not a person or animal, I can't see the massive crime here. Wouldn't have even thought it worthy of a Friday. The Pembroke thing is a bit different, definitely some attitude adjustment required there.

I can't believe students have been expelled over that. It's a blazer, not a person or animal, I can't see the massive crime here. Wouldn't have even thought it worthy of a Friday. The Pembroke thing is a bit different, definitely some attitude adjustment required there.
How did they get the blazer?
Have they recovered the body the blazer belongs to?

Chad Wingard has announced his retirement effective immediately.

Chris Scott already putting looking after Stewart by the umpires on the agenda.
Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back