Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Davies saying that Port decided to take the “long view” with Houston and get draft picks to help them build for the future.

But they had a double AA player contracted for years. One of the best in the league. And I thought they were keeping Ken because they feel they’re close to a flag next year. Which is the short term, not long term.

How they gonna do that if they give away one of their best players for draft picks?

Sorry Chris but Rat ain’t the answer…
To be fair, he has stated that the Rat is "depth".

He may be thinking different about their crowd if he plays for them as they quickly turn on their own... particularly players or coaches they don't like!

Yeah, only 41 games for the Suns in 5 seasons. Thats a side that didnt make finals. He will probably play a dozen games throughout the year but he is going to be depth. He was merely an unrequested add on to clear his pay from the GC books.

except these guys did this at a work function

no different than the stupid shit people sometimes get caught up with at office xmas parties
I may be the odd one out here, and I know the AFL are inconsistent, but I don’t see much wrong with how they’ve handled this

No sympathy for players acting like this.

So what is Port's best side next year?

B: BZT, Aliir Aliir, Bergman
HB: Farrell, Ratugolea, Evans
C: Burgoyne, Wines, Boak
HF: Lukosius, Finlayson, Rozee
F: Rioli, Georgiades, SPP
R: Street, JHF, Butters
I: Sinn, Drew, Mead, Richards
Sub: Burton
E: Visintini, Jones, McEntee

Honestly think we have a better balanced side, particularly our spine & defence.
Totally agree. If we were/are coached properly, we should be looking to overtake them soon as the number 1 side in SA

Yeah, only 41 games for the Suns in 5 seasons. Thats a side that didnt make finals. He will probably play a dozen games throughout the year but he is going to be depth. He was merely an unrequested add on to clear his pay from the GC books.
And given Port finished last in the SANFL it makes some sense to improve their chance of winning so their actual AFL quality players are dropping back to a team that’s competitive

He'll probably jump above Sinn in the pecking order. That guy seems very vanilla.

I may be the odd one out here, and I know the AFL are inconsistent, but I don’t see much wrong with how they’ve handled this

No sympathy for players acting like this.

Its not suspension worthy. De Goey as little as two years ago was groping women on film in New York and Bali while drunk. Didnt get suspension. The players got railroaded because they are from a non victorian club. Its easy to stick the boot in.

Those saying it was a club function, it wasnt. Otherwise a majority of the squad would have been in attendance.

Geez Melbourne need to get themselves sorted out quick smart

Houston saying he was wanting to go there but turned off by the off-field turmoil. Decided he wanted to go to a club with a good culture and a good chance to play finals

Clearly not Melbourne!

Geez Melbourne need to get themselves sorted out quick smart

Houston saying he was wanting to go there but turned off by the off-field turmoil. Decided he wanted to go to a club with a good culture and a good chance to play finals

Clearly not Melbourne!
Yep, they have been self destructing for over a year now... & there premiership window is over.

Goodwin competing with Nicks to be the next coach sacked.

Agreed, and I get the feeling they didn’t so much take him as were forced to take him so GC could off load his salary from the ridiculous five year deal they gave him
This is the bit I don’t really get, you’re supposed to get remunerated for that, port paid for the privilege.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So think of it like this..their supporter base started out off the back of club heads comments bullishly dreaming of Norths f1 (top 5 pick next year) + another 1st for him, then Carton giving up pick 12 and another 1st, to being forced to swallow a mid 1st, a collingwood fringe player and a washed up 31 year old Atkins.

I'd feel cheated too if i was them...lol

So think of it like this..their supporter base started out off the back of club heads comments bullishly dreaming of Norths f1 (top 5 pick next year) + another 1st for him, then Carton giving up pick 12 and another 1st, to being forced to swallow a mid 1st, a collingwood fringe player and a washed up 31 year old Atkins.

I'd feel cheated too if i was them...lol

Nah they got a fair trade.

Houston was not worth a first rounder and they got overs. End of story. Houston at 28 next year is not a better player than what Dawson was and we paid pick 16. Its easier to get an AA jumper as a defender than any other position on the ground. Luko is every bit worth a first rounder. I dont care what anyone says and they had to pay. As for Atkins he is already better than half of Ports mediocre and sad list beyond their best 10 players.

Edit: The only reason they feel cheated is because they expect to pay nothing for players and anyone who leaves is worth a top 5 draft pick.

This is the bit I don’t really get, you’re supposed to get remunerated for that, port paid for the privilege.
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

I also don’t buy this crap that Houston changed his mind on joining Melbourne because of their culture.

I expect Collingwood just showed an interest with a better deal and so he chose them.
Houston wanted to go to a contending club.

Was always going to be Collingwood once Carlton pulled out.

Bearing in mind that Port were desperate to get the deal done - they rejected it one day then accepted it the next because GC threw in pick 50 (or whatever it was)

They knew that keeping Houston wasn’t going to happen and it was take Luko (with a side order of Rat) or nothing

Taken for a ride is the politest way I can put it

Comments on drawn out trade process. Hopefully reduces next year as hardly compelling viewing / listening the first 80% of it. And wonder if they are talking Bullies re the club? And Tiges bitchy little remark about Rioli

The walls in the Marvel Stadium corporate suites aren’t very thick so the spray delivered by a prominent player manager reverberated down the corridor.
Tensions were understandably running high given 10 days of nothing had come down to the final 15 minutes before the trade deadline.

The haggling over a late draft pick sliding one or two spots and the refusal of another club to not to help financially with exiting a player they wanted out was at the centre of the robust discussion.

While the deal eventually got done with minutes remaining, the repercussions for one club are set to live on over the next 12 months.

It’s fair to say any hope of them having a crack at some big-name free agents from that management stable in the near future took a sizeable hit.

That’s the games which are played in the AFL trade period.

There is a lot of you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours but there is also a clear understanding that if you screw me over now, it’s coming back 10-fold in the future.

Leading agent Paul Connors, who has been in the game for 25 years, described this year’s trade period as “one of the hardest” and that it was easily “the hardest last day I have been involved in.”

DEADLINE DAY RECAP: WHICH MOVES ALMOST FELL THROUGH?

His team, including partner Robbie D’Orazio and Nick Gieschen, spent a lot of the final hour at Marvel Stadium on Wednesday night going in and out of the club allocated suites given they were linked to the big deals involving Bailey Smith, Jake Stringer, Tom Barrass and Dan Houston.

“It’s been a hard last few days as clubs are getting shrewder and tougher,” Connors lamented after getting all his big names done with literally just seconds remaining before the 7.30pm deadline.

The CCTV vision which AFL trade radio had access to of the suites and the corridor was bizarrely enthralling television even if there was no sound.

As the clock ticked into the last half-hour the sight of Connors sitting next to Geelong list boss Andrew Mackie gesturing with his hands suddenly gave hope that the Smith deal was still alive.

In the end nine players got traded in the final 30 minutes and many of those for deals which had actually been on the table for days.

The AFL loves having the focus for the 10 days but once again having it all go down in the final hour rams home again that they’re allowing clubs to take the piss by having such a drawn-out period.

Holding out to get a future fourth round or shuffling three spots in the fifth round is madness and hardly worthy of chest-beating afterwards but that’s how some list managers see it.

Richmond’s Blair Hartley has been one of the busiest given the exodus of premiership stars from Punt Rd and he summed it up perfectly: “10 days, I’m a big advocate for three.”

The spin was in overdrive when each club was required to front the cameras at the end of the madness.

When Hartley outlined the circumstances behind Liam Baker, Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli wanting to leave, he gave the latter a nice drive-by.

Referring to Rioli who won the Tigers best and fairest and was now moving to the Gold Coast, he said he was “coming to the twilight of his career”.

Five minutes later, standing in the same spot, Suns list manager Craig Cameron described Rioli as “an A-grade player in a position we wanted to bolster”.

Port Adelaide football boss Chris Davies was next and he vented his frustrations at the recent trend of players signing long-term contracts and then wanting out.

He’d had a tough few days accommodating All-Australian halfback Dan Houston who had three more seasons to run with the Power but requested a trade.

“The AFL needs to look at players in contract wanting out … a balance has to be looked upon,” Davies said.

In the end everyone left Marvel Stadium looking tired but seemingly happy, many were heading off for a well-needed beer although one club didn’t need that, they already had a hangover which might last 12 months.

I also don’t buy this crap that Houston changed his mind on joining Melbourne because of their culture.

I expect Collingwood just showed an interest with a better deal and so he chose them

"Throughout the year there was a bit of unrest at Melbourne it seemed and I let my manager know that probably wasn’t the best thing for me to do, I’d rather not go there, and that sort of opened everything right up.”

Yeah I think he did. Pretty rich coming from a contracted player.

Davies saying that Port decided to take the “long view” with Houston and get draft picks to help them build for the future.

But they had a double AA player contracted for years. One of the best in the league. And I thought they were keeping Ken because they feel they’re close to a flag next year. Which is the short term, not long term.

How they gonna do that if they give away one of their best players for draft picks?

Sorry Chris but Rat ain’t the answer…
They thought he was going to Melbourne, they were going to get 2 firsts and were a chance for Perryman/Cumming. When none of that panned out it was too late to put Houston back to bed.

Sucks to be them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back