Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I still am in the belief that we will see the Gold Coast Kangaroos and Western Sydney Bulldogs before the end of the decade. Pretty obvious that weak branding was used (suns/giants) to reduce resistance when the time comes.

Further success with the Brisbane-Fitzroy model is just another tick in the box.
So as the population keeps growing and growing, we're going to contract the number of teams?

If theres ever to be a new team after Tassie itll be in Perth again.
Darwin a possibility, as it would make the AFL a truly national competition. However, the commercial case for an AFL team in such a small market would be very shakey.

I cant imagine the Giants being prime for a merger.

Theyre a well run club who are always finals contenders, thats not something Brisbane or Fitzroy were at the time of their merger. You can make a case for North and the Suns but its still a VERY long bow to draw
More the small supporter base, attaching an existing brand to them will just strengthen them

No, maintain the number, just distribute them better
Too much resistance inside Victoria for that to happen

Not only by clubs who would be targets but the other clubs wanting safety in numbers

Too much resistance inside Victoria for that to happen

Not only by clubs who would be targets but the other clubs wanting safety in numbers
The AFL copped a lot of blowback when they allowed Fitzroy to die (even if they were merged with Brisbane). They pretty much vowed never to let another Vic club go to the wall.

I still am in the belief that we will see the Gold Coast Kangaroos and Western Sydney Bulldogs before the end of the decade. Pretty obvious that weak branding was used (suns/giants) to reduce resistance when the time comes.

Further success with the Brisbane-Fitzroy model is just another tick in the box.

Might be wrong or old news, but I reckon I heard that Bulldogs were a very financially stable club. Roos and St Kilda would be the most at risk I reckon.

We would have won the flag the next year if he'd stayed with us.

Hell, we kicked Geelong out of the finals.

Dangerfield was leaving a successful side.

Danger was leaving a contending side but he was also going to a contending side. I don't understand how anyone can describe a group that finished outside the finals for 2 years, then eliminated in semis for 2 years then lost a grand final then outside the 8 for 7 years as being a "successful side". Even if you cherry picked the single best year out of those 12 years, you still couldn't describe it as being successful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL copped a lot of blowback when they allowed Fitzroy to die (even if they were merged with Brisbane). They pretty much vowed never to let another Vic club go to the wall.
Maybe, but the Brisbane Lions has since become one of the biggest success stories of the modern game.

It is a winning formula:
  • Establish a presence in an emerging market
  • Let the temporary brand ride the teething-problems and establishment pain
  • Rebrand by leveraging an established identity and absorbing an existing supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back