Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose you also think that if Barry Hall polled the most Brownlow votes (lol) during the year that he knocked out Brent Staker, he should have been given the medal? It's not much different.
Well it is. Not sure why I need to explain this but Hall knocked out Staker playing footy.
I dont really agree with WCEphil I think there is a limit and for me paedophilia is over that limit. Any individual that does this should be stripped of any recognition in any field IMO.
That said, your comparison is way off the mark

Well it is. Not sure why I need to explain this but Hall knocked out Staker playing footy.
I dont really agree with WCEphil I think there is a limit and for me paedophilia is over that limit. Any individual that does this should be stripped of any recognition in any field IMO.
That said, your comparison is way off the mark
I suppose you think Carey glassing women is under the limit too then?

Have always been a demons supporter, family have very strong ties going way back to the beginning with the club, coped lots of stic as a young fella growing up in the Claremont area from mates and have always been a huge BC fan, until now, he crossed the line and IMO now forgoes any accolades.
He was an adult and he made a decision to do what he did and in my book that deletes any good he did on the field and doesn't deserve to be recognized as a great of the game.
He ruined a young persons (maybe more) life.

Not at all. All three behaviours discussed are examples of what should not be tolerated when considering such accolades. You set a very low bar.
OK Im probably wasting my time here but I will try to explain it again.
WCE Phils rationale for Cable retaining his HoF status was that it was awarded for what he did for footy and that his deeds, as horrible as they may be, committed outside of the footy realm should have no bearing on that status. Agree or disagree (I do) that was his argument.

Now you come waltzing in with you chest puffed out, full of self righteous morality, saying " I suppose you think Hall should have been eligible for the Brownlow after hitting Staker". Which, despite Hall not even being close to a Brownlow, completely misses the entire argument that a footy based award should not be dependant on non-footy deeds. Hall literally struck Staker ON THE FIELD.

Your problem is you set the bar in a different stadium to the one where the game is being played.

I think cable should fold and relocate to prison. Thoughts Guiz?

It's kinda shit being found guilty in civil court but not criminal. I know it's not completely straightforward but I don't believe there should be a separation in a case like this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK Im probably wasting my time here but I will try to explain it again.
WCE Phils rationale for Cable retaining his HoF status was that it was awarded for what he did for footy and that his deeds, as horrible as they may be, committed outside of the footy realm should have no bearing on that status. Agree or disagree (I do) that was his argument.

Now you come waltzing in with you chest puffed out, full of self righteous morality, saying " I suppose you think Hall should have been eligible for the Brownlow after hitting Staker". Which, despite Hall not even being close to a Brownlow, completely misses the entire argument that a footy based award should not be dependant on non-footy deeds. Hall literally struck Staker ON THE FIELD.

Your problem is you set the bar in a different stadium to the one where the game is being played.
You're wasting your time because you've completely missed my point from the get-go. In a perfect world, footy-based awards would be dependent on footy and non-footy deeds, which is where the fairest in best and fairest comes in.

Last edited:
Probably in because he stalked his ex instead of glassing her, I guess.

But was the captain and leading figure that took a group of teens to early 20 year olds to drug addiction.

My point is separate the footballer from the man.

Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist. He's one of the all time greatest HW boxers and had he packed that power and movement into a 4 inch taller frame he probably would have gone down as the greatest boxer of all time.

I personally just think in all these cases you need to separate the football contribution with the rest of their life. If the person is already in the HOF then don't worry about it but in someone like Cable's case it would stop imo an elevation to legend status. If they aren't there yet but are deserving on the basis of their football contribution then keep it to a time where they have done the time, become a redemption story before induction.

I want to point out I am in no way defending any allegations against him proven or otherwise, I still firmly believe however that sport and sporting achievements and other areas of life should be kept separate.

TI is the greatest indigenous player i've seen play and I ******* hate SF.
Nah, these allegations have been around for years, and buried for years
He should most definitely be stripped of anything he possibly can be
Kicking a bit of leather around shouldnt shield you from consequences

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree, even paedo priests get defrocked when their crimes become public and they are the world champions at sweeping it under the rug.
I grew up during the cable era and people were rarely charged for sexually assaulting kids, especially high profile ones with friends in the right places.

We had a scoutmaster in the small town I grew up in who was diddling a boy a couple of years older than me. The police went around his place and suggested he would be better off living somewhere else, apparently not caring if assaulted kids in the next town he went to which he no doubt did.

Cable was a great footy player and a shit human, being expelled from the HOF is getting off lightly if that's his only punishment.

So far he has been criminally proven of nothing. Zero.

Now this is completely unrelated to Cable but I want to make a point about the internet and modern society here.

You are now in these cases guilty until proven innocent it seems. Look at the Brittany Higgins bullshit. Look at Lidia Thorpe and all her bullshit. Completely ruining lives without any burden of proof and then even when they are found out to be full of shit, the person who's had their life ruined doesn't get their position, standing in society back or future and nothing happens. Shit, sometimes you even get an underhanded government payout of 3million dollars for peddling your bullshit.

Now this is completely unrelated to Cable but I want to make a point about the internet and modern society here.

You are now in these cases guilty until proven innocent it seems. Look at the Brittany Higgins bullshit. Look at Lidia Thorpe and all her bullshit. Completely ruining lives without any burden of proof and then even when they are found out to be full of s**t, the person who's had their life ruined doesn't get their position, standing in society back or future and nothing happens. s**t, sometimes you even get an underhanded government payout of 3million dollars for peddling your bullshit.
Obviously knowing him well ,and being of a certain vintage , when were you first aware of allegations against cable?
Do you think his stature in the community back in the day couldve helped squash those allegations?
I know its trial by media these days and its truly terrible when someone is wrongfully accused but i also know that it was a lot easier back in the day to cover up these kind of things
And at his age and in his circumstances doesnt matter where hes found guilty he wont pay fully for the crimes he's found guilty of
Jimmy saville was never found guilty of anything at all..

Obviously knowing him well ,and being of a certain vintage , when were you first aware of allegations against cable?
Do you think his stature in the community back in the day couldve helped squash those allegations?
I know its trial by media these days and its truly terrible when someone is wrongfully accused but i also know that it was a lot easier back in the day to cover up these kind of things
And at his age and in his circumstances doesnt matter where hes found guilty he wont pay fully for the crimes he's found guilty of
Jimmy saville was never found guilty of anything at all..

fwiw, from the third girl to accuse him

A third woman has accused legendary Australian Rules footballer Barry Cable of sexually abusing her when she was a child, but says she did not report it because “all of Australia loved him”.

This kind of reasoning is uncomfortable because then you could add Jimmy Savile (as an example) in that post and that is definitely not a position you want to adopt...

This kind of reasoning is uncomfortable because then you could add Jimmy Savile (as an example) in that post and that is definitely not a position you want to adopt...
I agree. Whilst we should all be careful jumping to conclusions, historical rape and molestation accusations are notoriously difficult to prove guilt. Especially against high profile people.
My old man (the bastard who made me a Perth Dee's supporter) loved Cabel and by extension, so did I. I'm glad he is not around to know of these allegations but my personal opinion is that there are too many credible accusations from people with nothing to gain for at least some of it not to be true. Even if he is never found guilty, which is a high probability, I still believe he did some of what's being alleged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back