Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Winning a World Cup in which Australia is a dominant team in a particular sport (cricket/netball) played by a dozen or so nations is not as big as finishing 4th in the world game in which Australia has never been a dominant nation. What the tillies did was amazing, possibly one of Australia’s greatest team sporting achievements.

Winning football world cups is rare for nations which have massive populations compared to Australia and in which the sport is there number one focus.

We are expected to win netball and cricket World Cups or a least feature highly in the tournament but it’s not the case in Football.
I think that really invalidates the achievements of being world champions. Australia punches well above its weight and it is very impressive to perform at the pinnacle in as many sports as we do. The Matildas went on a good run that should be celebrated, but I can never rank finishing third above the teams that actually won.

Women's soccer is also very much an emerging sport, so I don't see it as being more competitive than sports like Netball or Cricket at this stage.

I think that really invalidates the achievements of being world champions. Australia punches well above its weight and it is very impressive to perform at the pinnacle in as many sports as we do. The Matildas went on a good run that should be celebrated, but I can never rank finishing third above the teams that actually won.

Women's soccer is also very much an emerging sport, so I don't see it as being more competitive than sports like Netball or Cricket at this stage.

Not sure I can agree with most of that - women's soccer has definitely taken off and has far far more global participants, coverage and exposure than netball.

It would probably also easily beat cricket if you exclude India.

Look at how the Matildas galvanised the Australian public compared to the ho-hum reaction to Australia winning yet another cricket World Cup. You'd be hard pressed to argue that the CWC was a greater sporting moment for Australia in 2023 than the Matildas.

I'd also even argue the Socceroos making the round of 16 in Qatar 2022 had more of an impact than the CWC win.

Women’s soccer isn’t emerging and whilst it isn’t at the levels in terms of pay or media attention as men’s soccer it is played professionally in a number of countries that have professional leagues and pay very well in terms of Women’s sport salaries.

It’s like comparing a commonwealth games medal to an Olympic medal. It’s not in the same ball park.

It doesn’t invalidate the achievements of our Netball players or Cricketers, they were fantastic but at the end of the day it’s not the “World Game” as hard as that is for some Aussies to understand.

I don’t have a huge interest in women’s sport and I certainly don’t have an interest in soccer

But the Matildas were the Australian sports story of 2023. Captured the public’s attention in a way I can’t recall seeing since Cathy Freeman in the 2000 Olympics

Clayton Oliver's a strange one, interesting to see what happens (in a creepy way)

Sad if this true. Sam Kerr was one of the best Aussie players in that world cup when Australia hosted it

Turns out it’s not true

I mean it’s only been all over the news and social media since it happened so not like there’s any doubt

Sad if this true. Sam Kerr was one of the best Aussie players in that world cup when Australia hosted it
Sam Kerr missed a fair chunk of the world cup due injury and was never more than 75% fit even at the end. That's a real shame as there is every chance that with a 100% fir Kerr Aus could have given the world cup a real shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clayton Oliver taking more time off to deal with his personal issues

The hyperbolic speculation about Melbourne's culture will be here any second now...

... any second now...
Explosion Reaction GIF

Joel Smith has failed in his attempt to get his drug charge down to three months of preseason:
Clayton Oliver taking more time off to deal with his personal issues
Gee, I wonder why Clarry is taking time off now :think:

The hyperbolic speculation about Melbourne's culture will be here any second now...

... any second now...
That's what gets me about "Eagles culture issues"

Collingwood had players suspended for performance drugs. Barely made the news cycle
Hawthorn allegedly had massive drug problems at their club.

Now Melbourne ... yet it's getting no where near the hyberbole West Coast got. Do Victorians hate us so much that our players can be doing exactly the same thing, but it's for some reason 10 times worse?

And various other clubs have had the same issues

Is there going be front page news about Melbourne's issues now next time they play in a GF ?

And so many supporters of other clubs buy into it.

And then Kane Corne's weird vendetta about the Eagles is borderline manic - yet I have noticed pretty much everything he says about anything is negative - he just appears to like to hate us the most

That's what gets me about "Eagles culture issues"

Collingwood had players suspended for performance drugs. Barely made the news cycle
Hawthorn allegedly had massive drug problems at their club.

Now Melbourne ... yet it's getting no where near the hyberbole West Coast got. Do Victorians hate us so much that our players can be doing exactly the same thing, but it's for some reason 10 times worse?

And various other clubs have had the same issues

Is there going be front page news about Melbourne's issues now next time they play in a GF ?

And so many supporters of other clubs buy into it.

And then Kane Corne's weird vendetta about the Eagles is borderline manic - yet I have noticed pretty much everything he says about anything is negative - he just appears to like to hate us the most
I struggle to understand why people consumer media garbage. Your comments are sensible though.

I'm hearing Liam Baker to Freo for 2025, fwiw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back