Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so if the argument is "I had no control of the tackle".....should the player then be tackling? Havent they then failed their "duty of care"?

Its not a debate on whether or not it was a deliberate action?

There was a lot of copium being huffed on the Lions board after it happened, but I called it early and right. In no world is the AFL letting a guy go for concussing a player, whether on purpose or by accident. They DO NOT want the liability, and will change the game to ensure it doesnt happen in the future if they have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo and Kelly think Cameron's tackle was fine

Watching the game I thought, quite aggressive but ok, later with replays I thought it would be looked at.
On reflection head injuries need to be minimised, Duggan is out for a week minimum, perhaps more, and perhaps life long impacts. I don't think the tackle can be allowed.

Robbo and others wanting answers from the tribunal is dumb. Coaches and players need to change techniques to meet the new order. There are many alternative approaches, and necessity is the mother of invention.

Watching the game I thought, quite aggressive but ok, later with replays I thought it would be looked at.
On reflection head injuries need to be minimised, Duggan is out for a week minimum, perhaps more, and perhaps life long impacts. I don't think the tackle can be allowed.

Robbo and others wanting answers from the tribunal is dumb. Coaches and players need to change techniques to meet the new order. There are many alternative approaches, and necessity is the mother of invention.
What about Davies?

Afl wanted players to not go in head first , keep your feet , turn side on hip to hip to reduce the likelihood of head contact .

Jones was the player who went straight on head first and came off 2nd best yet the guy who did the right thing gets suspended.

The afl need to tell players the right way and the wrong way to attack contests .

You duck your head on purpose or go in the wrong way you may cop it.

I don't get the Bedford one. That was a good tackle.
It was pretty much textbook for what I was taught as a youngster when you’re chasing down a player.

Players don’t know what they can and can’t do anymore and I would say I’m confused as to why but I’m not - given the looming financial threat of a class action and ex players suing the AFL they want to be making it clear that they are doing everything in their power to “protect the head”.

Except they have it backwards and are suspending every single person who causes a concussion instead of the guys who are swinging fists and elbows at people.

Maybe if they spent the time and effort into providing good medical advice and professionals to game day (i.e. the Venables situation) and taking some responsibility instead of putting it all on the players in a split second moment of tackling in a contact sport - we may actually make some headway in mitigating long term concussion symptoms….or ACTUALLY protecting the head.

The legal firm Dillon & Kane have:

2023 - Got rid of the bump.
2024 - Are getting rid of the tackle.
2024 - No nasty name calling, unless you are the North Melbourne Coach.
2025 - Will be introducing a change to next seasons uniform.

download-3.jpg

Even comes with an Indigenous Round uniform.

vdvs.jpg

The AFL Commission, unwisely, gave the lawyers too much power and now " The Game " is trending this way.

OMeqmL8.gif

Last edited:
We've lost 2 players permanently to concussion, one of them is suing the club and Afl.

This is Duggans second concussion this year. Cameron's tackle in my view was aggressive and unnecessary considering the arms were pinned and Duggan wasn't going anywhere.There was no need to slam him down.

Don't get why Kelly and Yeo find it acceptable to defend the bloke that concussed their captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back