Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I daresay that employee would be looking for a new job pretty quickly after that became public.
I sincerely hope not because the bar staff have a right to feel comfortable at work and also have the right to speak up when they're being made to feel uncomfortable.

If you're gonna do that sort of shit, do it in the privacy of someone's home where there's no chance of upsetting bystanders who aren't there by choice and are just trying to put food on the table for their family.

I sincerely hope not because the bar staff have a right to feel comfortable at work and also have the right to speak up when they're being made to feel uncomfortable.

If you're gonna do that sort of shit, do it in the privacy of someone's home where there's no chance of upsetting bystanders.
Depends on one big thing: Were any of the acts directed at the staff? That's a huge no-no.

If they're behind the bar getting offended at how mates act with each other, then that's also a big n-no.

No club will ever book an event there.

Depends on one big thing: Were any of the acts directed at the staff? That's a huge no-no.

If they're behind the bar getting offended at how mates act with each other, then that's also a big n-no.

It’s really not. Just because your job is at a bar doesn’t mean there’s no limit to what you have to tolerate.

It’s probably fair game to expect to deal with more drunk ****wits than at the typical 9-5, sure. You’d need to be able to handle that. But that doesn’t mean there’s no line.

Hypothetical: you've got a young daughter who is working the night of the party, she's just running plates and clearing dishes.

She walks upstairs to clear some plates and sees a bunch of drunk AFL players running a train on a sex doll.

As a parent, how would you feel about that?

Plenty of other events seem to happen without players performing sex acts on a blow up doll or making jokes about 9/11 tbh

It’s really not. Just because your job is at a bar doesn’t mean there’s no limit to what you have to tolerate.

It’s probably fair game to expect to deal with more drunk ****wits than at the typical 9-5, sure. You’d need to be able to handle that. But that doesn’t mean there’s no line.
You don't understand what I'm saying.

If it involves the staff, then there should be zero toleration.

If its blokes on the other side of the room and you personally are getting offended by mates simply interacting with each other and everyone is getting a laugh out of it, then you can simply call your manager and ask to swap out with someone if you're that mentally weak.

You're not going to survive 5 minutes in a real bar if you're as soft as butter, simply from how a bunch of mates are interacting with each other and not the staff.

If it comes out in the wash that they were making inappropriate jokes/comments towards the staff then I'll flip my stance completely.

Hypothetical: you've got a young daughter who is working the night of the party, she's just running plates and clearing dishes.

She walks upstairs to clear some plates and sees a bunch of drunk AFL players running a train on a sex doll.

As a parent, how would you feel about that?

It's a private hospitality function mate, I've seen far worse behaviour.

Now if they start directing inappropriate behaviour towards my daughter, that's a different story entirely.

I'd hope I'd raised her well enough to let stuff like that not bother her.

If its blokes on the other side of the room and you personally are getting offended by mates simply interacting with each other and everyone is getting a laugh out of it, then you can simply call your manager and ask to swap out with someone if you're that mentally weak.

You're not going to survive 5 minutes in a real bar if you're as soft as butter, simply from how a bunch of mates are interacting with each other and not the staff.

If it comes out in the wash that they were making inappropriate jokes/comments towards the staff then I'll flip my stance completely.
No I do understand what you’re saying and I fundamentally disagree.

It’s not about being too mentally weak ****ing, what a pathetic line.

If patrons of the bar I used to work at came dressed as rapists and brought sex dolls to do little sex act skits with, once again whilst dressed as rapists…even if they were doing it in the farthest corner of the farthest room…I’d be pretty pleased to see them banned for life.

Mentally weak is not speaking up about that. Accepting that as boys will be boys is half the reason half the world feel unsafe most of the time.

Soft as butter is letting that behaviour go on.

And once again, I’ve done footy wrap ups in backyards and clubhouses and seen some stuff. I’m not offended on mine or anyone’s behalf here. But if someone is being made to feel unsafe at their place of work, not by just a bit of a dark gag around the table but by people dressing as rapists and simulating rape…good on them for speaking up.

Plenty of other events seem to happen without players performing sex acts on a blow up doll or making jokes about 9/11 tbh
Not to undermine my own point here but I really can’t articulate how funny it is that they have to go in couples costumes and two of the boys have gone “…twin towers”.

Probably the only time a footy player has ever used lateral thinking in their life, and it’s for the mad Monday costume.

Being mentally weak is not having the gonads to speak up that something happening in the corner of the bar is inappropriate and degenerate behaviour.

Being soft as butter is letting it happen because you ‘don’t want to cause a fuss’ or because ‘boys will be boys’ (which in itself is a ****ed line of thinking).

It isn’t weak to speak up when something that’s occurring in the public domain doesn’t need to be in the public domain.

It's a private hospitality function mate, I've seen far worse behaviour.

Now if they start directing inappropriate behaviour towards my daughter, that's a different story entirely.

I'd hope I'd raised her well enough to let stuff like that not bother her.
Haha man I'm in the middle on this issue, but if my daughter wasn't bothered by seeing 'a bunch of drunk AFL players running a train on a sex doll', I'd probably question how well I'd raised her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I do understand what you’re saying and I fundamentally disagree.

It’s not about being too mentally weak ****ing, what a pathetic line.

No, you need to have a strong mind to survive in that industry. Trust me, I spent over 20 years in it, in all different environments.

Clearly, if they'd come into one of my high-end restaurants I managed, I'd tell them to **** off.

Conversely, if they came into a pub function room I'd also worked at, I'd brief the staff on who was coming in and ensure they were comfortable to look after them.

So it very much could be a failure on the management's behalf to either not brief the staff correctly, or assign the appropriate staff member/s to the function to begin with.

If patrons of the bar I used to work at came dressed as rapists and brought sex dolls to do little sex act skits with, once again whilst dressed as rapists…even if they were doing it in the farthest corner of the farthest room…I’d be pretty pleased to see them banned for life.

See above.

Mentally weak is not speaking up about that. Accepting that as boys will be boys is half the reason half the world feel unsafe most of the time.

Very different to make some off-colour jokes, to actually being sinister in your behaviour and directly intimidating staff.

Like I said, if the latter comes out that it was the case, I flip my position entirely.

Soft as butter is letting that behaviour go on.

And once again, I’ve done footy wrap ups in backyards and clubhouses and seen some stuff. I’m not offended on mine or anyone’s behalf here. But if someone is being made to feel unsafe at their place of work, not by just a bit of a dark gag around the table but by people dressing as rapists and simulating rape…good on them for speaking up.

2 things:

1) Like I said at the top, that comes down to management assigning appropriate staff to the function. There's zero chance I'd let one of my 18 year old girls look after a bunch of footy players at venues I worked at, even if some of them were keen. They could run food, clear plates and that's it, unless I knew they took no shit.

I'd just assign males or older female employees.

2) If they're 'simulating' rape(I haven't seen it reported in the couple of articles I've seen, so apologies if I missed this) as part of a performance to take the piss out of Jarrad Hayne, then I think that's passable.

If they're getting down & dirty on a sex-doll, it's not related to Hayne in a skit, and they're simply enacting a gangrape then yes, completely unacceptable.

It's the context that matters for me.

At the end of the day, working in hospitality is not for the faint of heart. It's simply the way it is, because people's inhibitions lax after a few drinks.

If people can't handle that, then it's simply not the industry for them and they should seek something else.

Being mentally weak is not having the gonads to speak up that something happening in the corner of the bar is inappropriate and degenerate behaviour.

Being soft as butter is letting it happen because you ‘don’t want to cause a fuss’ or because ‘boys will be boys’ (which in itself is a ****ed line of thinking).

It isn’t weak to speak up when something that’s occurring in the public domain doesn’t need to be in the public domain.
It's not 'public', it's a 'private' function they paid for so it wouldn't affect the public.

If they do that behaviour in a public bar then go ahead, fine the shit out of them and ban them for life. nobody wants that behaviour in public.

Haha man I'm in the middle on this issue, but if my daughter wasn't bothered by seeing 'a bunch of drunk AFL players running a train on a sex doll', I'd probably question how well I'd raised her.
When you're at work in a private function room? You should be able to shrug that kind of shit off.

At a public train station down a corridor? Different thing entirely.

Time and place.

Not to undermine my own point here but I really can’t articulate how funny it is that they have to go in couples costumes and two of the boys have gone “…twin towers”.

Probably the only time a footy player has ever used lateral thinking in their life, and it’s for the mad Monday costume.
It's hilarious, tbh.

Like the time back in '05 when a mate with a beard decided to dress up as an Arab with a rack of bratwursts around his neck and call himself 'Jihad Jesus'.

Everyone loved it. Was at my house though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back