Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take Fyfe over just about any other midfielder in the comp i reckon.
I agree, so complete a player. I reckon young Elijah Hollands has similar attributes as well, when you compare the pair at the same age. Not so much stat wise, more so the way they play and where they position themselves.

We're always trying to apply precedent to scenarios without regard to the facts.

Not every old player needs to be moved on.

The difference between Kade Simpson and Betts, for example is clear and significant. Nic Newman, Tom Williamson (particularly in a side in which Marchbank is playing playing tall), Sam Docherty and SPS are all more than capable of playing as running defenders. One of them misses if Simpson is playing.

At the other end of the ground its Zac Fisher, David Cunningham and Gibbons none of whom is a natural small forward and all of whom are already playing in the side.

Pretty good reason for Betts to go on. If they find someone else, so be it. No big deal.

Same goes for Burgoyne. Decisions on Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis were made 3 to 4 years ago. A lot of changes since then and each these players could be replaced (in a structural sense). If Burgoyne is the best leader, etc why shouldn't he go on to guide a side next year that is going to be frighteningly raw, at least compared to what Hawks fans would be used to.

Last edited:
We're always trying to apply precedent to scenarios without regard to the facts.

Not every old player needs to be moved on.

The difference between Kade Simpson and Betts, for example is clear and significant. Nic Newman, Tom Williamson (particularly in a side in which Marchbank is playing playing tall), Sam Docherty and SPS are all more than capable of playing as running defenders. One of them misses if Simpson is playing.

At the other end of the ground its Zac Fisher, David Cunningham and Gibbons none of whom is a natural small forward and all of whom are already playing in the side.

Pretty good reason for Betts to go on. If they find someone else, so be it. No big deal.

Same goes for Burgoyne. Decisions on Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis were made 3 to 4 years ago. A lot changes and each these players could be replaced (in a structural sense). If Burgoyne is the best leader, etc why shouldn't he go on to guide a side next year that is going to be frightening raw, at least compared to what Hawks fans would be used to.
Yeah that's the thing. Those guys all went to young teams at the bottom to try and provide some leadership, set standards, build culture, because Hawthorn didn't need them anymore. Now it's Hawthorn's turn to be the cellar dwellers needing some leadership, so they're keeping the ones they still have.

Yeah that's the thing. Those guys all went to young teams at the bottom to try and provide some leadership, set standards, build culture, because Hawthorn didn't need them anymore. Now it's Hawthorn's turn to be the cellar dwellers needing some leadership, so they're keeping the ones they still have.
this is where Hooker is invaluable.
I'd question Hurley and his tendency to drop his bundle when he loses a contest and get a little Goddard about it all.
That said, i reckon if we jettisoned Hurley, Hooker would be a good chance to up and retire.

Leaving our KPD stocks as Ambrose, Zerk, Francis and Ridley.
Not ideal.

Just for a brief moment yesterday, I was taken back to a time where things were more enjoyable to watch, for me anyway. Dangerfield dominating at full forward at the end of the Syd/Geel game...leading into space (not that there was mutch) was a joy to watch. I really miss seeing a dominant FF be able operate...away from congestion in a more 1 on 1 battle, without the scragging, blocking, and extra men flying in to stop full forwards.

Just for a brief moment yesterday, I was taken back to a time where things were more enjoyable to watch, for me anyway. Dangerfield dominating at full forward at the end of the Syd/Geel game...leading into space (not that there was mutch) was a joy to watch. I really miss seeing a dominant FF be able operate...away from congestion in a more 1 on 1 battle, without the scragging, blocking, and extra men flying in to stop full forwards.
See I think that to sometimes, and then I remember the howls of abuse any coach would cop if they let an opposition FF have anytime and space for a period of more than 5 minutes and remember why they do it.

See I think that to sometimes, and then I remember the howls of abuse any coach would cop if they let an opposition FF have anytime and space for a period of more than 5 minutes and remember why they do it.
Yeah I get it too...I just miss seeing it happen probably 3 times a weekend when someone was simply too good and would kick 3, 4 or 5 in a quarter. Watching the best be able to display their talent was great.

Then I watch Joe on the weekend...and I don't think I can remember once where he had a clear run and was able to leap at the ball when he was deep. He was only involved where he got up the ground with more space (but probably loosely checked)...and we finally got to see some of his skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back