Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would need to improve by lots to win. We can't even beat WC/Nth by much, though we have a mental block against teams we should thrash.

It would be so Essendon to win though. This is our GF, then again a week later if we win.

I think we must win both to get in, IDK, anyone doing the maths?
Win both we’re in. If we beat the giants, we’re not completely without a chance of beating the pies. No Daicos or Moore and I reckon Sidebottom will be a week to week proposition.

Still, giants away will be very difficult

Have to say Hawthorn's young playing list is looking mighty impressive.
They seem to have a great core of young strong players and commanding wins this year over Carlton, Brisbane, Collingwood and now Bulldogs.

Thank god this new, successful Richmond thing didn't catch on.

Didn't cash in on their ageing stars and get anything in return (and actually, they could really use the ones they let go), traded 4 picks in the top 30 for Hopper and Taranto and now Hardwick has job hopped to a better list without the opportunity to do a proper handover and pass on all that IP.

#blessed

Didn't cash in on their ageing stars and get anything in return (and actually, they could really use the ones they let go), traded 4 picks in the top 30 for Hopper and Taranto and now Hardwick has job hopped to a better list without the opportunity to do a proper handover and pass on all that IP.

#blessed
Mark my words it'll be another 37 years at least. Hope they enjoyed it.

#blessed
Loading up on run of a mill midfielders to prolong a window always ends in tears.

#blessed
thinking back a month ago and realising i couldn't go a day without seeing someone cum over the thought of tim taranto being as decent as he was at gws, but he's now gods gift to the game because he's in melbourne

For a supposed model organisation I’m of the opinion that Sydney massively breached their duty of care by signing McCartin.

At some point you have to save him from himself even if he wanted to continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a supposed model organisation I’m of the opinion that Sydney massively breached their duty of care by signing McCartin.

I agree with you.

I don't know anyone personally that thought it was a good idea when he started playing again, let alone at AFL level. Medical people can say what they want with relation to his current state, risk etc but CTE still has such unknowns with respect to how it manifests itself from a head knocks into a debilitating medical condition, what makes some seem ok moving forwards in life and such get impacted so terribly. It was a risk not worth taking, and I'm surprised McCartin wanted to go down that path.

I agree with you.

I don't know anyone personally that thought it was a good idea when he started playing again, let alone at AFL level. Medical people can say what they want with relation to his current state, risk etc but CTE still has such unknowns with respect to how it manifests itself from a head knocks into a debilitating medical condition, what makes some seem ok moving forwards in life and such get impacted so terribly. It was a risk not worth taking, and I'm surprised McCartin wanted to go down that path.

At some point it has to be taken out of his hands and the decision has to be made for him, probably same with Alex Johnson except the stakes are a little lower with the knee than it is the head.

Surely long before he hits his 6th ACL you reach a point where signing him to contracts to keep him around the boys is doing more harm than good. Ended up being 7 in the end but you would say the Swans are still culpable for the last one given he was in their care for the first 6 and the lasting damage has already been done.

Whilst I'm happy he is retired I don't really agree.

The medical advice was he could play, and the player chose to after being given that advice.

The medical advice has ended other careers too so it's not like it's the same in every case.

The player has the right to choose to risk their safety.

Now from an AFL competition, risk management, insurance point of view do we have a cap on the number of concussions you can have before you are ineligible to take the field?
That's another discussion, and tbh we will probably get to that point.

But if the medical advice is you can, and the player wants to play, it should always be there choice. (That being said if they try and claim payments and support later, I don't agree with that).

He was given the all clear from the afl to return. That’s not on Sydney

I agree though, his family/ afl should’ve put a stop to it. Only a matter of time before he’s part of a law suit, that’s partly his doing.

He was given the all clear from the afl to return. That’s not on Sydney

I agree though, his family/ afl should’ve put a stop to it. Only a matter of time before he’s part of a law suit, that’s partly his doing.

Swans elected to sign him, so as far as I’m concerned, they have a level of culpability.

The clubs will obviously do whatever they can to win games so I’m probably being overtly critical but I think all clubs should have put their hands up and said ‘I’m not touching this bloke with a 10 foot clown pole’

Swans elected to sign him, so as far as I’m concerned, they have a level of culpability.

The clubs will obviously do whatever they can to win games so I’m probably being overtly critical but I think all clubs should have put their hands up and said ‘I’m not touching this bloke with a 10 foot clown pole’
Level of culpability?

The afl cleared him to return… end of story. It’s not up to Sydney.

That last concussion was a shocker ..so innocuous looking but the impact was huge. Should've ended there and then.
i've watched the incident a fair few times and it's shocking about how soft it was, his head didn't even touch anything, just the jolt of hitting the ground on his elbows caused it.

Level of culpability?

The afl cleared him to return… end of story. It’s not up to Sydney.

Well Sydney are an infinite amount more culpable than 17 other clubs, aren’t they.

Not that they’ll be the ones legally liable if it gets that far, but the easiest way to make sure it doesn’t get that far is to not sign him when it is guaranteed to end in tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back