Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Four Corners​

The Silence: AFL's Last Taboo​

8:30PM - 9:16PM
CC

The AFL is the only major sporting code that hasn't had a single elite male player publicly identify as gay. Louise Milligan investigates the AFL's culture and asks what has created this silence?
I wonder if Four Corners stop to think perhaps their prying eye has something to do with it as well.

The first player to come out will have a circus akin to Cousins and his drugs on their door step
They may thing they come from a place of good, but i ask them - why does it matter what they do in private and whether they choose to make it public.
it's really none of our business.

I wonder if Four Corners stop to think perhaps their prying eye has something to do with it as well.

The first player to come out will have a circus akin to Cousins and his drugs on their door step
They may thing they come from a place of good, but i ask them - why does it matter what they do in private and whether they choose to make it public.
it's really none of our business.
I think it's a pretty fair question. If you looked at any sector and found that there's not a single self-identified gay male, you'd rightfully start asking questions about the culture of that sector. It's not about forcing people to 'out' themselves or not respecting their right to privacy, it's a pretty powerful indicator that something isn't right where not one person feels comfortable enough to publicly identify.

I think it's a pretty fair question. If you looked at any sector and found that there's not a single self-identified gay male, you'd rightfully start asking questions about the culture of that sector. It's not about forcing people to 'out' themselves or not respecting their right to privacy, it's a pretty powerful indicator that something isn't right where not one person feels comfortable enough to publicly identify.

I'm pretty confident there's gay players in the AFL. I'm also pretty confident that within the playing cohort at least some (if not all) of their teammates would be aware of them being gay.

It's not really anyone else's business but the individual players for a start, we're not owed the knowledge of whether a player is or is not gay, but also whoever is 'first' will be swarmed with publicity and media attention for every move they make, date they go on, breakup they have and mistakes they make. No wonder no one wants to come out.

The only real way to avoid that is convince every gay player in the AFL to come out all at once in one big press conference, or at least start with ex-players.

Wouldn't that issue be the same for every other sporting code in the country (and the world)? Yet AFL is the one sport where it is yet to happen. So there's something different about the AFL than every other code, and I don't think it's 'the media'. So yeah I don't doubt that being the first would come with media attention, but people in every other sporting code have taken that step, but not within the AFL.

I agree I would certainly think there are players that are open about their sexuality with teammates etc. And again this is nothing to do with being owed knowledge of player's sexuality. But I don't think that means it's not a question worth asking. Because it's not just a player coming out publicly and announcing their sexuality. It also means that no gay AFL player has been or is confident to walk with their partner holding hands/kissing etc in public, and essentially living a normal romantic/love life. No player publicly identifying themselves as gay necessarily means to an extent they are hiding it, or in the least making an effort not to be obvious. And that's a pretty serious issue.

Four Corners​

The Silence: AFL's Last Taboo​

8:30PM - 9:16PM
CC

The AFL is the only major sporting code that hasn't had a single elite male player publicly identify as gay. Louise Milligan investigates the AFL's culture and asks what has created this silence?
It ain’t the culture that has created the silence, there are plenty of gay players. More a gay player doesn’t to have their life blown up by the media, and the first one to come out will only ever be seen as that from that point on. Once the first one openly comes out I’m sure plenty will follow. There are players who have come out to team mates, yet don’t want to come out in the media

I'm pretty confident there's gay players in the AFL. I'm also pretty confident that within the playing cohort at least some (if not all) of their teammates would be aware of them being gay.

It's not really anyone else's business but the individual players for a start, we're not owed the knowledge of whether a player is or is not gay, but also whoever is 'first' will be swarmed with publicity and media attention for every move they make, date they go on, breakup they have and mistakes they make. No wonder no one wants to come out.

The only real way to avoid that is convince every gay player in the AFL to come out all at once in one big press conference, or at least start with ex-players.
Yep no player wants to be the first.

It’s a dumb story to try and pin it on footy culture, when there are players who are openly gay to their team mates. It’s their choice whether they want to come out publicly in the media.

I think this is one of the reasons why a pride game would be useful. I know a lot of people hate having a round for this and a round for that and "where's the Average Joe round" – but the media firestorm that would rain down on the AFL if they had a Pride Round would burn out a lot of the homophobia imo, and create some clean air for those who wish to come out to do so, perhaps even progressively in the run up to pride round.

And while –yes– there would be a lot of shit coming their way on social media, there would also be a lot of support from within and beyond the sport. It would take a strong character to take that on, but everything has two sides.

I think this is one of the reasons why a pride game would be useful. I know a lot of people hate having a round for this and a round for that and "where's the Average Joe round" – but the media firestorm that would rain down on the AFL if they had a Pride Round would burn out a lot of the homophobia imo, and create some clean air for those who wish to come out to do so, perhaps even progressively in the run up to pride round.

And while –yes– there would be a lot of s**t coming their way on social media, there would also be a lot of support from within and beyond the sport. It would take a strong character to take that on, but everything has two sides.
Pride game ain’t going to make a player come out

Yep no player wants to be the first.

It’s a dumb story to try and pin it on footy culture, when there are players who are openly gay to their team mates. It’s their choice whether they want to come out publicly in the media.
Still doesn't address the fact that this is now an issue unique to the AFL. So I don't see why it's unreasonable to question what it is about the AFL that's different to every other sporting code

Pride game ain’t going to make a player come out
Not in itself, no. But remember when the NRL had a pride guernsey and a couple of players refused to wear it? And the hullaballoo about the AFLW player that won't wear rainbows in the pride game because it goes against her faith (but is still supportive of her teammates and still wants to play)?

A pride round gives the AFL a chance to publicly confront those sort of things, to establish boundaries and expectations and if necessary to strip memberships off the worst offenders. You can call it virtue signalling or whatever you want, but I think the AFLPA and plenty of media and other supporter groups/community groups would get around a concept like that and in time it would create more space for players who may be contemplating coming out.

Still doesn't address the fact that this is now an issue unique to the AFL. So I don't see why it's unreasonable to question what it is about the AFL that's different to every other sporting code
How is it an unique issue? There are players currently in the afl that are gay, it’s their choice whether to come up. That’s not an afl culture thing. Don’t see openly gay players in the nrl? Union? Cricket? Basketball? So how is it just the afl

Not in itself, no. But remember when the NRL had a pride guernsey and a couple of players refused to wear it? And the hullaballoo about the AFLW player that won't wear rainbows in the pride game because it goes against her faith (but is still supportive of her teammates and still wants to play)?

A pride round gives the AFL a chance to publicly confront those sort of things, to establish boundaries and expectations and if necessary to strip memberships off the worst offenders. You can call it virtue signalling or whatever you want, but I think the AFLPA and plenty of media and other supporter groups/community groups would get around a concept like that and in time it would create more space for players who may be contemplating coming out.
Yeh I don’t think it’s an issue of acceptance to the reason players who are gay don’t come out, rather they just don’t want to be painted with the brush being the first one through the door. Once one comes out I’m sure many will follow. Say player John smith, 200 games and 2x all aus, suddenly becomes first openly gay player John smith. That’s a huge issue to why no one wants to be the first, not everyone suddenly wants to carry the torch and their sexual becomes their whole image.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a) why should they, and b) why would they. So they're asked to be on 360, OTC, FC, MMM, SEN, etc etc as some sort of public spectacle.

Also, my point was more the AFL is in the ABC's sights there. Perhaps a mirror is all i'm suggesting.
If you could be guaranteed there wouldn't be camera's at training, a press conference, elephants, magicians and fireworks about your personal love life....maybe we'd know. But then i keep asking, what business is it of ours.

who cares

I'll add, they made a mess of themselves tripping over the gushing of Phillips and her partners kiss at the AFLW brownlow. No other kiss at the Brownlow has made such a fuss.

Media can't help it. it's their DNA. There's clicks there for the first AFL player to come out and i imagine the players know it.
Hard enough going about your daily as an AFL player.

I'd wager there's more than a few, I recall that people thought Jobe Watson wasn't straight for a fair while as he never attended events with a partner.

I've personally had my sexuality questioned more than a few times by family/friends (I'm asexual and don't have a particularly high sex drive, and they questioned me constantly because I've had 2 relationships in the past like 15 years) and I'm a nobody. While generally today society is very accepting of people who don't fit into a heterosexual-centric society that we have in Australia and moreso throughout the world, broadly speaking, but there's still a lot of embedded bigotry beneath the surface, which will absolutely make people coming out supremely uncomfortable.

In 2021, during my final teaching placement (as a student teacher) the school I was at hosted a LGBTQIA+ group to talk to Year 7 students about some of the basics of being LGBTQIA+ and how to be respectful and what not, and afterwards, there were a fair few younger students throwing slurs and what not out because they didn't care/didn't agree. While anecdotal and minor I think it's indicative of a lot of uneducated opinions that people have about things they know nothing about.

Major sliding doors from 2016 for us and Brisbane when we both finished bottom 2 and we got McGrath and they got McCluggage

Does anyone know why Jeremy Howe wears a guernsey with only one sleeve apart from because he can?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back