Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I partly agree. he has at least shown a little bit of character and awareness of the situation. if he hadn't been fined, I think it would have been fine. but if you're going around asking for permission, I reckon that's probably a good sign to just leave it at home. i guess the wacky wednesday talent show was a Very Big Deal and they didn't want to rock up without a hilarious skit.

I think the fact punishment was received colours the commentary on asking for permission.

He did the mature thing, understanding that whilst a character that is cool and well received in a movie that it's source material could be offensive. He then queried with relevant parties who may be offended and was given blessing.
We smack sportsman for not thinking all the time, he's actually thought through it and taken steps to do the right thing, gets slapped with a fine anyway.

I'm not sure where we are if we are punishing that type of thing.
Now dressing up as sex offenders, rapists, a white person doing black face are all things I totally understand punishments being handed down. Role models and all that, though Im not demanding punishments for what is stupid behaviour, those for public people can't be let slide.

But that Idun one bothers me, that's losing sight of what the actual issues with this are.
Off the top of my head id liken it to someone dressing up as a religious figure, if they checked with those that may take offense would we still punish them?

Last edited:
Fining a black dude for dressing up as a black character seems ****ing stupid, unless there was something completely inappropriate with the skit he did. I don't even know why he'd ask permission given his background.

The skit was the slaves wrestling scene, so I can see the avenue to why it may have come about.

I just disagree entirely with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back