Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo showing what a good tap ruckman can actually do, Draper should be embarrassed.
Wasn't a lot of finesse in his ruck work against Melbourne - was more trying to do Clark Keating against us 2001 and bash it 20 -30 metres forward and the Dees knew this.

anyone feel like they could give it a real shake?
I still think we can give it a real shake. The only game we won’t win is the final round. All the others we can undoubtedly win. **** this ‘we’re not ready’ shit. We weren’t ready in ‘93 either. We just need to get our heads right and take our chances instead of fluffing our lines. It’s wide open especially with Sydney losing and Papley going down today.

Last edited:

anyone feel like they could give it a real shake?
They probably lack the defensive structure and a decent KPF . Cats gave them a touch up with intercept marking a couple of weeks back but you never know.

fick that griffin Logue turnover (I think it was) is a real game changer

3 goals inside 5 minutes and Bloos lead

fick that griffin Logue turnover (I think it was) is a real game changer

3 goals inside 5 minutes and Bloos lead
Something like that was always going to happen at some stage.:)

He’s had more than one good game ..you can’t be serious.

It was the first game of the year that's been rated elite against an ageing/slow Collingwood (we were comparable to West Coast in average age/games when we beat the Pies) and wouldn't you know, it's also when the posts come out to this extreme as if his name is suddenly Errol. :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think we can give it a real shake. The only game we won’t win is the final round. All the others we can undoubtedly win. **** this ‘we’re not ready shit’. We weren’t ready in ‘93 either. We just need to get our heads right and take our chances instead of fluffing our lines. It’s wide open especially with Sydney losing and Papley going down today.
We just lost to Adelaide in Melbourne and you think we'll only lose one more game? I'd be surprised if we win more than one more game.

We just lost to Adelaide in Melbourne and you think we'll only lose one more game? I'd be surprised if we win more than one more game.
Weird season mate. I’m not losing my hope until we get humiliated in whichever game crushes that hope for good. It might be the GC game, it might be the Brissy game, it might be another elim disaster, but I’m looking at it as we are currently 6 points above last years premiers and 6 points behind second on the ladder. Am I deluded? Yes I ****ing am! **** yeah!

Hawthorns gameplan is built around risk, ours is built around being safe.

That's true but it is really calculated risk, favoured by teams like Collingwood, Sydney and (now) Hawthorn. It is miss-calculation which Hawthorn seems to struggle with coming out of the pre-season which accounts for the really slow starts in the last 2 seasons. It is making better decisions, taking more calculated risks that is part of what has made them better.

Within that is a margin for error which is expanded by things like the natural kicking ability of the players but also their natural running power. The more aggressively a zone can be moved around the more defensive stability it can provide. This is part of the reason I believe McRae has had such a charmed run with Collingwood. He has been smart enough to see the scope to win a premiership based on the characteristics of his side, which is brilliant. But Buckley should get significant credit for drilling the defensive platform from which to allow the players to freewheel.

The top 4 could all be non-Victorian. Lions, Swans, Dockers and Giants. Would the AFL make one game be played at the G?
No. They changed the contract to avoid this.

i'll also just say that week in week out, our 40 point win vs norf appears to both be an outlier for our season and a better win than most other teams can muster

North had 7 losses larger than 40 points in it's first 11 games (we played North in round 10).

It is true that since round 11 their results have been +9, -1, -3, -17, +4, -79 and -19.

There are 2 pretty distinct form lines in North's season, rounds 1 to 11 and from round 12 onward.

Last edited:
Was at the Hawks and Pies game today.
Hawks do three things really well. Very good at winning the ball at ground level .
5 or 6 really good users of the footy in the back half and midfield .
Speed across several lines .
They basically win the footy cleanly and then they have the speed to break the lines and get away with running in front of the footy by having some really good users of the footy.
Wet day helped their small forwards dominate the game.
They made the Pies look old and slow.
Hawks are still very suspect as far as defensive structure goes but the speed helps cover some of that and also that speed helps with the pressure game .
Mass has found his spot on the wing where he can run his own race and is playing really well. Still does not defend but their overall system covers it.
They have kept improving based on them getting all their midfield back and ruining into good form.
Big tick to their ruck who basically put it on a platter all day.
Looking at their side today they really only desperately need a good KPF . Frost is a bit shaky at FB but they cover it well.
They look much more balanced than we do.
we were doing really well at winning ground ball early in season, what has happened this part of our game? stood out like dogs balls against the crows

North had 7 losses larger than 40 points in it's first 11 games (we played North in round 10).

It is true that since round 11 their results have been +9, -1, -3, -17, +4, -79 and -19.

There are 1 pretty distinct form lines in North's season, rounds 1 to 11 and from round 12 onward.
The driving force of their form turn around is the midfield clicking. it was on top against us too. Could argue archie perkins played north into form with his soft tag on LDU :D

That's true but it is really calculated risk, favoured by teams like Collingwood, Sydney and (now) Hawthorn. It is miss-calculation which Hawthorn seems to struggle with coming out of the pre-season which accounts for the really slow starts in the last 2 seasons. It is making better decisions, taking more calculated risks that is part of what has made them better.

Within that is a margin for error which is expanded by things like the natural kicking ability of the players but also their natural running power. The more aggressively a zone can be moved around the more defensive stability it can provide. This is part of the reason I believe McRae has had such a charmed run with Collingwood. He has been smart enough to see the scope to win a premiership based on the characteristics of his side, which is brilliant. But Buckley should get significant credit for drilling the defensive platform from which to allow the players to freewheel.

Should’ve worded that a little better but I agree with what your saying.

Hawthorn place a greater emphasis on taking calculated risks to keep the ball moving compared to us.

There is nothing wrong with prioritising a conservative approach to moving the ball given our deficiencies in the defensive part of our game over the last 2 decades & I understand the head coach’s reasoning behind it.

However, it also has its pitfalls. You become predictable & it allows the opposition to pressure you & shut you down more easily.

The good thing is at least we should be doing better in all the important defensive metrics, right?

There are 2 pretty distinct form lines in North's season, rounds 1 to 11 and from round 12 onward.
obviously there's a distinct line that can be drawn but a lot of supporters here were bellyaching about how shit we were/are over it, how we should've beaten them by x or y but the fact is that we played decently

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back