Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite surprised to see this. Heeney should just go quietly and lick his wounds.
This is nothing but excuse making and suggest a mental weakness inherent somewhere. Neale was also injured.

When you take to the field in grand final day you are judged as if you were fit to play. I’d be disgusted if one of our players was doing the media rounds with this kind of thing 2 days after a humiliating capitulation on the biggest stage.

McQualter confirmed as West Coast’s next head coach. Not the worst appointment in the world, assistant coach during Richmond’s dynasty and by all reports respected, but I don’t think he does much in the short term to turn around that sinking ship. It’ll still be a few years yet before they’re competitive again. Good luck to him.

Hopefully this means Baker to the Weags for 2 reasons, 1. because it’d be funny to see them try and shortcut their rebuild and set themselves even further backwards, and 2. because I never really rated Baker that highly, he’s a glorified Switkowski, and for the price it wouldn’t be worth it, we have more pressing needs in other areas

McQualter to West Coast, apparently going to get the Richmond boys as well.
Can't see how they do it, but if they do it will be a masterstroke for them.
I'm not unhappy to go for Kozzie and the draft

Baker probably yes, Graham too

Bolton no, he’s pretty much a lock to come to Freo. West Coast won’t have the capital for all three and Baker fits more of a need for them and Bolton fits more of a need for us

Quite surprised to see this. Heeney should just go quietly and lick his wounds.
This is nothing but excuse making and suggest a mental weakness inherent somewhere. Neale was also injured.

When you take to the field in grand final day you are judged as if you were fit to play. I’d be disgusted if one of our players was doing the media rounds with this kind of thing 2 days after a humiliating capitulation on the biggest stage.

He came off the ground & didn’t finish the game, of course they’re going to ask him what’s wrong. Hardly doing the media rounds, he’s a key player & the media are attracted to him. You can’t take the human element out of the game, from players to coaches they’re not robots.
Mental weakness? Have you seen him play? steps up continually in big games.

McQualter confirmed as West Coast’s next head coach. Not the worst appointment in the world, assistant coach during Richmond’s dynasty and by all reports respected, but I don’t think he does much in the short term to turn around that sinking ship. It’ll still be a few years yet before they’re competitive again. Good luck to him.

Hopefully this means Baker to the Weags for 2 reasons, 1. because it’d be funny to see them try and shortcut their rebuild and set themselves even further backwards, and 2. because I never really rated Baker that highly, he’s a glorified Switkowski, and for the price it wouldn’t be worth it, we have more pressing needs in other areas
Don't underestimate the collapse after return flight from Perth of King. Keep an eye on how many times he flies next year.

He came off the ground & didn’t finish the game, of course they’re going to ask him what’s wrong. Hardly doing the media rounds, he’s a key player & the media are attracted to him. You can’t take the human element out of the game, from players to coaches they’re not robots.
He was playing with a fractured foot and I'd ask why wasn't he rested until GF?

Last edited:
I can't be the only one who wasn't very inspired by mcqualter at Richmond?

Could look back in 10 years and look like a fool but this definitely feels like the coach to get them over the rough part of the rebuild, not a long termer
Considering general WC expectations the next coach was never gonna see the complete rebuild out, regardless who got the job. Probably why Dean Cox refused to even apply

If he had a broken foot he should not have played. He was completely anonymous on the biggest stage in the sport for the second time in three seasons.

There is nothing to be gained by “opening up” two days after a shellacking in the grand final.

Like all pro sport the winners write the script. The losers (especially int he manner Sydney did) should just just go quietly into the night and vow to put it right next year. Sounds harsh but that’s just the way it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't be the only one who wasn't very inspired by mcqualter at Richmond?

Could look back in 10 years and look like a fool but this definitely feels like the coach to get them over the rough part of the rebuild, not a long termer

Could it be that McQualter is the Judge equivalent ?.

McQualter being an U-18 level captain and first round draft pick who was delisted and put on the rookie list in his 3rd season when Lyon started coaching St. Kilda, and finished with a modest playing career makes for interesting dynamic with coaching Reid who already has bighead superstar status at WC. The different pathways may be a good thing...or not.

McQualter being an U-18 level captain and first round draft pick who was delisted and put on the rookie list in his 3rd season when Lyon started coaching St. Kilda, and finished with a modest playing career makes for interesting dynamic with coaching Reid who already has bighead superstar status at WC. The different pathways may be a good thing...or not.
Quarters and Barra was interesting today.
Barich basically said that Ben cousins told him Harley Reid was impatient to start winning flags and would not be hanging around for a 5 year rebuild if they were not contending very quickly.
He felt they needed to be in finals contention by the end of Harley’s third year, to have a chance of keeping him

Barich basically said that Ben cousins told him Harley Reid was impatient to start winning flags and would not be hanging around for a 5 year rebuild if they were not contending very quickly.
He felt they needed to be in finals contention by the end of Harley’s third year, to have a chance of keeping him
There is zero point of bending over backwards for one player, regardless if that's true or not. Premierships are won as a collective not as individuals irregardless of how good that player is. Let HR ruin the club.

Barra and Cuzzy bro, that's some meeting of great minds.

We have just had the first premiership coach to have never played an AFL/VFL game in Chris Fagan as further proof that playing achievements aren't a necessity to be a good coach; it can work if he is up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back