Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Well its a results business. He's at the end of his rope now and even the board couldn't extend him without some actual results. I've believed from the get go that he isn't capable. I think that 1/5 proves that.

Obviously, they wanted to get rid of Ross because of the HR problem I'm not stupid. But personally, I don't care about it, I care about wins. Same as I didn't care about Hogan being in the paper. I care about something else.

The club cares about its image. I think your image can be fixed if you win a flag.
Weirdly, I agree with you about him being at the end of his rope, that it's ultimately all about results and the healing powers of a flag.

I also think there was a bit more going wrong with Ross than a HR problem. I don't know, you might still have been basking in the post-GF-appearance glory, but I was actually seeing us being seven shades of shit under Ross for years on end. 2016 was a genuine low point, man. So bad.

He was done. The list was cooked. He had no answers. He certainly didn't have any ****ing wins.

Him being a dickhead at a work function is neither here nor there.

Weirdly, I agree with you about results and the healing powers of a flag.

I also think there was a bit more going wrong with Ross than a HR problem. I don't know, you might still have been basking in the post-GF-appearance glory, but I was actually seeing us being seven shades of shit under Ross for years on end. 2016 was a genuine low point, man. So bad.

He was done. The list was cooked. He had no answers. He certainly didn't have any ****ing wins.

Him being a dickhead at a work function is neither here nor there.
2016 being a genuine low point is as much on the list management team as it is Ross.

And I don't think you can criticize the club for trying again when they finished top of the ladder the previous year.

If you are genuinely laying the blame of 2016 all at Ross's feet, you're wrong.

I'm happy to concede he may have been a dick at a work function but the list is not his responsibility, and you are wrong he had no answers, it is a fact that we beat 3 top 4 teams in 2019.

JLo hasn't achieved this feat and yet he has plenty of emotional defenders like you that look past facts.

Really think Pyke is a cancer on a footy club tbh. Real Peter Bell vibes.

If we hired say Mundy and McPharlin it'd be about how we've hired from the boys club. Both these guys would be great assistant coaches imo but they'd need to start at the bottom under experience just like I assume Shuey and Hurn are.

Woosha is likely a good appointment.
Hey!

You can't say Peter Bell is a cancer! Sacrilege!

Complaining about the quality of the assistants Longmuir has gathered, and saying it is a reflection on him, is not something a Ross supporter should be doing.

Item 2 on the list that Lachie "Luther" Neale nailed to the door on the way out was how crap our assistants were at the time. None of the blokes willing to work for Ross are doing much these days. Brent Guerra, Anthony Rock - gee whillickers, it's a surprise none of them were actually called "Bottom of the barrel".

Ross was a maniac with one great idea. An idea that flogged the living bejesus out of a playing group and which was always guaranteed to fall in a screaming heap of burnt-out cases and quivering nerve ends.

Valuing effort to the point he did - over talent, over ability - is fundamentally mistaken, because effort should be a given.

Which all goes very far way from the issue at hand. Why our one ex-player appointment is crap but WC's welter of in-jokes is not.

Won a flag as a player, really should be the coach right?
Well at least ticks the boxes to be invited to the interview.

I find it funny that the idea of a senior coach having actual lived experience achieving what we're trying to accomplish as a club is somehow looked down upon.

Well at least ticks the boxes to be invited to the interview.

I find it funny that the idea of a senior coach having actual lived experience achieving what we're trying to accomplish as a club is somehow looked down upon.

By this logic Chris Fagan would never have even got close to an interview. Coaching and playing are different skills. Some players are natural leaders, some are not. Success in either field doesn’t mean a whole lot for the other

Complaining about the quality of the assistants Longmuir has gathered, and saying it is a reflection on him, is not something a Ross supporter should be doing.

Item 2 on the list that Lachie "Luther" Neale nailed to the door on the way out was how crap our assistants were at the time. None of the blokes willing to work for Ross are doing much these days. Brent Guerra, Anthony Rock - gee whillickers, it's a surprise none of them were actually called "Bottom of the barrel".

Ross was a maniac with one great idea. An idea that flogged the living bejesus out of a playing group and which was always guaranteed to fall in a screaming heap of burnt-out cases and quivering nerve ends.

Valuing effort to the point he did - over talent, over ability - is fundamentally mistaken, because effort should be a given.

Which all goes very far way from the issue at hand. Why our one ex-player appointment is crap but WC's welter of in-jokes is not.

I didn't even bring up assistants so I'm not sure if this is directed at me but I'd probably pick Ross's assistants over ours tbh.

And The Eagles held a process to select a coach, everyone they are bringing in is just support. As it stands now, Macqualter has 2 premiership coaches he can talk to if he wants and a bunch of premiership players appointed for him when he's a new coach it just seems stupid to try and criticise it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By this logic Chris Fagan would never have even got close to an interview. Coaching and playing are different skills. Some players are natural leaders, some are not. Success in either field doesn’t mean a whole lot for the other

Wiggy would LOVE Peter Sumich to be hired. Ticks all the boxes! Won a flag as a player, what else do you need.

There are exceptions to every rule. Fagans a great example. I've heard the two of them speak and I'd pick him over JLo even if JLO had a flag.

edit - and Fagan won premierships as a player and as an assistant coach.

Last edited:
There are exceptions to every rule. Fagans a great example. I've heard the two of them speak and I'd pick him over JLo even if JLO had a flag.

I find this insanely ludicrous. How a coach comes across to the media only buys them favours. It has no bearing on onfield success nor the buy in of a playing coach.

But each to their own I guess

oh yeah would hate for any of our players to be looking up to and listening to premiership players of the club they play for

what kind of craziness is that to promote success? Are you for real?
So you'd want Billy Frampton to be a forwards coach for us then?

You don't reckon surrounding McWholter with those successful-era Weavils not actively strung out or battling demons smells a bit like lack of confidence in the fruits of their rigorous appointment process? An appointment process, I may add, that intially began as ringing all the ex-Weagles in assistant positions and getting a bit from an Angels concert in reply.

I didn't even bring up assistants so I'm not sure if this is directed at me but I'd probably pick Ross's assistants over ours tbh.

And The Eagles held a process to select a coach, everyone they are bringing in is just support. As it stands now, Macqualter has 2 premiership coaches he can talk to if he wants and a bunch of premiership players appointed for him when he's a new coach it just seems stupid to try and criticise it.
Who is the 2nd one? Whoosha & ?

The gotta have a flag talk is the "just kick it" cry of the coaching box.

JL was 1 kick off having one as a head assistant. Do you think it games that close at the death knell are decided by the coaches?

You started off by praising all West Coast coaching and off-field appointments and/or processes, including assistants. Annoyingly, you compared that favourably against our own, asking who we had as an assistant that was any good - that none of them were reeking of that premiership involvement which you believe is so important.

You then babbled on deliriously about Ross and how good he was, despite him running the ****ing club into the absolute ground. (And despite him having any premiership involvement either as a player or coach.)

Ross burnt through assistants at St Kilda and here. Because he is a 24-carat, rolled-gold campaigner.

You may have loved that sort of thing, but after 2014 we were an unwatchable joke under Ross. Despite being the dictionary definition of underperforming under Longmuir, we are not an unwatchable joke.

What we currently are is close but not good enough. I say we stick fat and let the bloke reap the fruits of the rebuild Ross was unwilling or unable to do.

And leave the West Coast frenulum licking to the West Coast board. What's stupid is believing what they are up to is necessarily good because they won a few flags a decade or so ago.

My budding understanding of Ross Lyon's coaching style re assistant coaches was that they were for holding white boards and doing what they were told, exactly what they were told and only what they were told.
Bill Hader Omg GIF by Saturday Night Live

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back