Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's that deep, it's just football at the end of the day, I'm not going to hold it against the guy for doing what was best for him, that's life.
I agree it's not that deep, just in the opposite sense. Player plays for team I dislike means I dislike said player. Player plays for team I like, I like said player.

These guys mean nothing to me outside of football so I have no reason to be invested in them as people outside of that.

bulldogs v gws game next week will be an absolute cracker , the two form sides and favourites for the flag going head to head for top 4/2.
All spiced up to fact they ve had a bit rivalry over the years.

We needed one result from 6 games involving Hawthorn/Bulldogs/Carlton to go our way right, in order to have something to play for this time next week? Already down to 4 games now with Bulldogs winning and Hawthorn smashing Richmond.
Yeah but realistically it was always coming down to 3 games. Hawks were never losing to Rich and North, and Dogs were never losing to North.

Man watching Hawks recently really sucks. Picked up some really discounted players and offloaded guys who weren't doing anything and now all of a sudden they're right back into the mix out of nowhere. There's no reason for them to be as good as they are.
Sam Mitchell, are you kidding?
Guys going to be a super coach.

I know some people on here think it’s nuts to say this but Hawthorn are arguably the best team in the comp right now and it’s going to take a seriously good team to beat them in September.
They can absolutely win the flag.
I don't think it's nuts more than it pisses me and a lot of us the **** off.

Just flown right past us in the space of 3 months.

I know some people on here think it’s nuts to say this but Hawthorn are arguably the best team in the comp right now and it’s going to take a seriously good team to beat them in September.
They can absolutely win the flag.

Yuck. The worst part of that is they’re taking advantage of the exact same opportunity this season presented to us, that we have somehow managed to completely bottle

I don't think it's nuts more than it pisses me and a lot of us the **** off.

Just flown right past us in the space of 3 months.

Pound for pound similar ages, experience levels. I don’t even think they’re better than us line for line.

We just stagnated and they’ve kept improving.

But the real difference is the coaching

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pound for pound similar ages, experience levels. I don’t even think they’re better than us line for line.

Coaching and all the advantages you get as a Victorian side.

The cheap recruits.

Selling home games against similar teams in the ladder.

Lack of travel.

I'd put it out there that our final ladder positions would probably be just about swapped if we played in Victoria and they played in WA.

Yeah it's not as simple as that. We should definitely be a lot higher than we are right now. Our stagnation just coincides with injuries, whereas they've had all their players return right in time for this run they're on. I don't think there's much between us and them, but the little things add up.

One thing they've well and truly got us covered in is forward talent.

They are seriously well drilled. Very player knows their role well and the team played with confidence and assurance and swagger.

Thats the main difference between us and them. I’d argue we have more talent.

The cheap recruits.

Lack of travel.

I'd put it out there that our final ladder positions would probably be just about swapped if we played in Victoria and they played in WA.
Yet again, all those little factors that can have a big difference when compared side by side with us.

A lot of salary cap to work with and a guarantee that you will be b22 and they can entice just about anyone they want. No one is coming to Perth unless they're from WA. Rules us out of getting all these cheap recruits like Ginnivan, Meek, D'ambrosio etc.

The cheap recruits.

Lack of travel.

That all counts but they have a psychological advantage too.

They choked a game vs Port early in the year and Sam Mitchell went to town on it and the coaches improved their tactics and the players improved their mindset. He’s on SEN every week here in Melbourne and talks about that game a lot. They annihilate last quarters now.

We choked our early game vs Carlton then… proceeded to choke almost every other close game for the rest of the year too. And JL seemed to learn nothing each time except how to get more and more anxiety from it.

They are seriously well drilled. Very player knows their role well and the team played with confidence and assurance and swagger.

Thats the main difference between us and them. I’d argue we have more talent.
We definitely have more talented players. Hawks just have this unwavering arrogance and belief in themselves that honestly propels them over the line a lot more, whereas we seem a lot more timid and reserved. Didn't Buckley say that we were a very introverted group compared to a lot of other teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back