Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That all counts but they have a psychological advantage too.

They choked a game vs Port early in the year and Sam Mitchell went to town on it and the coaches improved their tactics and the players improved their mindset. He’s on SEN every week here in Melbourne and talks about that game a lot. They annihilate last quarters now.

We choked our early game vs Carlton then… proceeded to choke almost every other close game for the rest of the year too. And JL seemed to learn nothing each time except how to get more and more anxiety from it.
You only have to go back two weeks to see how Hawks choked another huge fourth quarter lead. 28 points up and lost to GWS.

The only difference with them now is that they're getting big enough leads that the game is over by the fourth.

They've also been blessed with their run home. Only losses vs GWS and Geelong but get to play Richmond x2, WCE, Adelaide x2, banged up Carlton and a horribly out of form Collingwood.

Only game in that lot that was actually close that they won was vs us. And that was more so on us than them with Meek getting to run over Jackson and Pearce being out injured.

We definitely have more talented players. Hawks just have this unwavering arrogance and belief in themselves that honestly propels them over the line a lot more, whereas we seem a lot more timid and reserved. Didn't Buckley say that we were a very introverted group compared to a lot of other teams?
No, Buckley said the coaches box is quiet and reserved compared to others

They choked a game vs Port early in the year and Sam Mitchell went to town on it and the coaches improved their tactics and the players improved their mindset. He’s on SEN every week here in Melbourne and talks about that game a lot. They annihilate last quarters now.

We choked our early game vs Carlton then… proceeded to choke almost every other close game for the rest of the year too. And JL seemed to learn nothing each time except how to get more and more anxiety from it.
But apparently our coach is "proud of the group"

Man watching Hawks recently really sucks. Picked up some really discounted players and offloaded guys who weren't doing anything and now all of a sudden they're right back into the mix out of nowhere. There's no reason for them to be as good as they are.
Sam Mitchell is a bit of a wizard, he was the biggest loss for WCE in that box

Yea perfect example of where I think Jlo is too reactive and stubborn

I mean I have no doubt they’ve tried “things” but hard not to get the feeling it was not a brutally confronting assessment had by all those involved with a determination for it not to happen again (remember they’re age profiles the same as ours so the inexperienced card doesn’t cut it on our end) and more of a “we should learn from this a be better next time thing 🤞

Since we're not going to, don't mind if the Hawks win the flag. Young side is unlikely to back it up in the year after.
Nah **** that .
I hate the hawks, will never forget the 2012-15 era
Their supporters are virtually the west coast eagles of the east

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pound for pound similar ages, experience levels. I don’t even think they’re better than us line for line.

We just stagnated and they’ve kept improving.

But the real difference is the coaching
And team selection.

Tell me in what universe a washed up Tabs is better than an actual ruck you’ve been developing for 2 years. Tell me why we give literally anyone a go in the middle rather than a red-hot, consistent Brodie while our mids continue to leak clearances. Why play an out of form Banfield instead of a true small forward, instead choosing to play none. Don’t get me started on Worner as a sub FMD.

All that being said, Richmond are definitely doing their best to make Hawks look unstoppable. They're atrocious.
And yet many of their supporters genuinely believe Bolten all things equal is worth 2 high first rounders Rioli likewise and baker mid to high first .

All topped off by them then going on to say they should be reluctant to trade them because they don’t won’t to “fully” bottom out…
Like wtf do you call what they doing now then with them still IN the team??

I've let go of caring what other teams do outside of how it directly affects us. Honestly, its amazing, you should try it.
No thanks, I would still prefer that the Eagles finish in the bottom 3 the next 20 years regardless of how much success or not we we have.

And yet many of their supporters genuinely believe Bolten all things equal is worth 2 high first rounders Rioli likewise and baker mid to high first .

All topped off by them then going on to say they should be reluctant to trade them because they don’t won’t to “fully” bottom out…
Like wtf do you call what they doing now then with them still IN the team??
The whole team has checked out.

And team selection.

Tell me in what universe a washed up Tabs is better than an actual ruck you’ve been developing for 2 years. Tell me why we give literally anyone a go in the middle rather than a red-hot, consistent Brodie while our mids continue to leak clearances. Why play an out of form Banfield instead of a true small forward, instead choosing to play none. Don’t get me started on Worner as a sub FMD.
Geelong game and Hawks game we could've won if we weren't stubborn enough to think that Jackson (who has been shit in the ruck since round 3) could hold his own in there.

Team selection has directly cost us too many games. Hawks literally offloaded old list cloggers like JOM and Mitchell to chumps who would pay for them and pushed games into their younger core. We're so close, yet instead insisted on JOM playing all season, Aish, Taberner etc. Literally the only development spot on our team this year has gone to Jonno, and forced to go to Draper in the backline because we literally had no one else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back