Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

12 years... at least 5 or 6 home qualifying finals/prelims without ever getting close to a flag.

Yeah that's ****ed.
I'm not watching today, but there is something very obviously wrong with Ken's plan in finals. The only time they got close was 2020. To be fair, it took the Tigers to roll them, but they should have played at least 2 GFs by now.

Jeremy Cameron is a freak.

Port under Hinkley is pretty unique. Most clubs have short runs at it before dropping back and eventually moving their coach on.

If you go back through it, it’s actually crazy how whenever he was out of contract or under pressure, Port went on to have a good H&A season. Then as soon as he’s re-signed, they go to shit. No wonder Port fans have gone insane

Geelong play finals pretty much every year - the collective experience just means they're able to soak up the pressure year and after and play deep.

Just another reason why it's such an unbelievable disgrace we missed finals again - if we actually play a decent finals campaign prior experience is crucial.
Thats 100% right.

Finals are just another day at the office for the cats. Not big deal, it’s routine stuff for them. Seen it all before.
Zach Tuohy playing his 20th final having not even grown up in the country - have we even played 20 finals in our entire history? Probably barely.

There is no comparison between the two clubs. Psychologically we are not even in the same universe as them.

This should of been 100+ loss if Geelong kicked straight.

I would be dark as anything if we put this up at home in a final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats 100% right.

Finals are just another day at the office for the cats. Not big deal, it’s routine stuff for them. Seen it all before.
Zach Tuohy playing his 20th final having not even grown up in the country - have we even played 20 finals in our entire history? Probably barely.

There is no comparison between the two clubs. Psychologically we are not even in the same universe as them.

It's easy to get a bit despondent but things can turn. It's the beautiful cyclical nature of our game.

Geelong deservedly carried their handbagger reputation for decades before they broke through in 2007.

The current finals structure is really set up for these older squads.

Finish in the top 4, weeks rest.

Young squads need consistency, older squads need the break

Geelong are very even. I won't be surprised if they win the whole thing now. Take Mullin out for Stewart and who are their worst players? It's hard to name them. Neale would be one, but even he had a good game.

On the flipside, Port were playing 3 players that Geelong rejected. You could name 10 Port players who would be in contention for being Geelong's worst player. They were a fraudulent and lucky team all year, have maintained that all along and nice to see their luck run out.

And at the top end for Port, that game was a huge black mark on Rozee, along with the first half from Butters. Absolutely woeful performances.

I said it several times in the last week or two ... Geelong were more impressive in beating us than Port. We outplayed Port but butchered our scoring chances. Couldn't believe how many people were giving Geelong no chance. Was quite confident Geelong would win leading up to the game, although I admit the Stewart withdrawal had me worried.

80 points, 80 points in a home qualifier. I'm sorry, y'all are cooked if you'd want this. Finals or not.

At least for Port fans this has to be the final straw this season

the worry for me is there’s a big possibility we could be headed the same way .

if we make finals next year i honestly believe jlo is all but guaranteed an extension.(bar probably a massive elimination final loss , even then?)

An elimination final win /semi loss just doesn’t cut it in my book but I can’t see the club booting him if it eventuates , even a close elimination loss he probably survives .

All of a sudden we’re right in port /ken territory if the above eventuates-
Not bad enough to sack not good enough to actually win it

Last edited:
the worry for me is there’s a big possibility we could be headed the same way .

if we make finals next year i honestly believe jlo is all but guaranteed an extension.(bar probably a massive elimination final loss )

An elimination final win /semi loss just doesn’t cut it in my book but I can’t see the club booting him if it eventuates , even a close elimination loss he probably survives .

All of a sudden we’re right in port /ken territory if the above eventuates-
Not bad enough to sack not good enough to actually win it
Maybe but Ken is up to 12 years, that's a long way away

fmd just seen how much the score blew out.

The scary thing is that Geelong aren't even that good.
Did you watch the game ?
Contributors across the ground
All going at full place and with risky , decisive and well executed skills .

That was a team effort and a pleasure watch

Not a Freddy or an Emmett in sight

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back