Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of spirit but one win in the season. That was the ultimate choke of all time.
True. Signs of a young team.
But would you bet Fremantle to play that well and give it a shot?
Sometimes it’s just effort and getting in hard. Feel the players just don’t do that enough when it gets tough/dirty

Afl should consider sending a "please explain" to Clarkson for subbing Phillips. That was unforgivable

That's what I was thinking. I'm not the one for call for this kind of shit, but felt like a fix.

While McCrae flips the LDU matchup in their favour during the 3rd and 4th... Clarkson takes Phillips off and lets Daicos single-handedly beat them.

Hardly true.
Refs for Soccer get punished for ordinary performances. EPL refs do get sent down to the Championship.
Problem is AFL have no promotion/relegation system for umpires throughout the season.
You’d reward good umpiring in WAFL to the AFL.

The issue is umpiring isn’t full time for AFL. Which is ridiculous. Get them on 150k+ salaries and have academies for umpires throughout the league. Not that hard. It’s a multi billion dollar industry.
What do we have though? Dillon getting 2million+ a year.
I don't get how you could pay attention the EPL and think there is accountability that is any higher than the AFL.

You have seen the issues with VAR over there right? Then all the drama with Man City's finances and some of the clubs lower in the league with FFP

All sporting organisations are the same - money is king.

Could not agree more on AFL umpires not being full time however. That's just common sense so we probably won't ever see it.

Could not agree more on AFL umpires not being full time however. That's just common sense so we probably won't ever see it.

The issue is that by the time the umpires get to AFL level they are already established in careers outside of the game. You would be asking them to give up a job and/or position they have probably worked years to attain. While the AFL is the pinnacle of the game, unless there is serious financial incentive to do so, I can't see any of the umpires giving up their day job to go full time.

The issue is that by the time the umpires get to AFL level they are already established in careers outside of the game. You would be asking them to give up a job and/or position they have probably worked years to attain. While the AFL is the pinnacle of the game, unless there is serious financial incentive to do so, I can't see any of the umpires giving up their day job to go full time.
Depends on how much the AFL is willing to pay them I guess.

and who would want to be abused every week? it's also why we can't get good politicians

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes it’s just effort and getting in hard. Feel the players just don’t do that enough when it gets tough/dirty
We have shown effort this season and played hard, unfortunately when we get talked up and get ahead of ourselves we come out and put in a putrid effort.

You see North come out like today because they have absolutely zero expectation on them.

Nah. I dont think he did. he marked while running. stopped then turned to straighten up.
One of the commentators said, 'It looked like he was going to play on' in that vision. It looks like that to me too. All I said was that there was enough going on in the situation to create confusion which therefore takes the umpire's decision, whatever it is, out of the realms of a howler. My original post was to the comment 'Clear 50 every day'.

Look, I get it but young and good are definitely different.
We’re younger than North IIRC and are sitting in the 8

We have given it a shot

One of the commentators said, 'It looked like he was going to play on' in that vision. It looks like that to me too. All I said was that there was enough going on in the situation to create confusion which therefore takes the umpire's decision, whatever it is, out of the realms of a howler. My original post was to the comment 'Clear 50 every day'.

There really isn't. It doesn't matter if he looks like he is going to play on. It is not play on until the umpire calls play on. If the opposition player/s encroach inside the protective area or over the mark before the ump calls play on it is 50 whether the player has played on or not. It is a major howler that arguably had a direct impact on the result of the game.

There really isn't. It doesn't matter if he looks like he is going to play on. It is not play on until the umpire calls play on. If the opposition player/s encroach inside the protective area or over the mark before the ump calls play on it is 50 whether the player has played on or not. It is a major howler that arguably had a direct impact on the result of the game.
It’s time wasting, if looked at closely.
That’s before umpires even do the routine ‘stop, stand’ warning- which never came.
Umpire didn’t blow for stopping time either.
That moment took off 3-5 seconds.

It's as clear as day for the umpires. The AFL needs to make sure it's crystal clear and reiterate the purpose of the rule (to allow greater flow options for the marking player). Educate those who aren't clear to neutralise ignorant external noise.

The thing is, the AFL have actually made a (reasonably) good job of evening up the competition as evidenced by this year's log jam for spots in the 8. There's always good and bad teams (and don't get me started on travel and fixturing) but by and large the comp is relatively 'even'.

So what this means (without looking at any stats) is that we're going to get more even games, closer results, and therefore more games where just 1 crucial decision might affect the result.

So it is incumbent on the AFL to improve the standard of umpiring to reduce the likelihood of that crucial umpiring mistake costing a game. It's happening too often.

So according to Laura Kane you can run over the mark now if you haven't been called to stand as long as it looks like the player hasn't been called to play on.

I don't think they actually listen to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back