Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funniest thing is their fans seem to think the list isn’t sh**e and that sacking Simpson would put them in top eight contention next year.

A new coach if anything moves a few veterans and mid-aged role players out of the team for kids and they go backwards again. Outside of their first rounders I don’t any youngsters that look much better than role players at AFL level. Their recruiting is garbage and they’ve basically got to start rebuilding again half way through a rebuild. Their fans seem to think they won’t be down long but honestly it’s four years already outside finals and three in the bottom three - that second stat alone is already a bloody long time. Can’t see them making the eight again this decade unless something massively changes - and it isn’t just the coach.
have any of their first rounders really showed a whole lot of anythign outside of reid? even then, and i know hes an 'impact' player, hes still been shown up by others picked behind him in his draft.

ginbey is a plodder, chesser is crap, hewett looks ok i guess?

Reid will probably still be there as well - The eagles dont lose players often.
Reid hates losing. He's whipping his tadger out of that joint, wiping it on the doona and racking off before they even realised they've been ****ed.

Speaking of losing - take McGovern out of that team and the losing they are going to do is increasing by orders of magnitude.

have any of their first rounders really showed a whole lot of anythign outside of reid? even then, and i know hes an 'impact' player, hes still been shown up by others picked behind him in his draft.

ginbey is a plodder, chesser is crap, hewett looks ok i guess?
I think Ginbey and Hewett will be okay players at worst tbh. Agree on Chesser - Lets just remember they took him ahead of Johnson.

I'm certainly not as high as Eagles fans are on say Hough and Long. To me they look like the types that'll be best 22 for ten years but most footy fans in Victoria won't know they exist (i.e. they're forgettable role players). Eagles fans seem to think they're future All Australian level players which is laughable. Surely someone like Harley Reid opens their eyes to what an actual future gun looks like but they're so delusional that's not how they see it.

Do feel they've been screwed by the draft a bit, more particularly the stupid amount of father sons and NGAs pushing their non-first round picks back way further than should be the case for a team this sh**e. The wooden spooner shouldn't have their natural second rounder fall beyond pick 30 in an 18 team competition.

Last edited:
The average deluded drongo might but there’s a few Weavils on this site who know that in 5 years, when they can reasonably expect to be contending again, the only current players that will still be there will be very, very few.

Allen
Ginbey
Hough

That’s about it. Their list is old blokes, vanilla hacks and missteps.
To be fair, Fremantle had a list turn around similar to that.
After about 3-5 years had only Fyfe, Walters, Tabs and Hughes left.

The club used draft picks and trading to maximise the turnover.

With West Coast, it’s hard to see it. Fremantle still has more first rounders than West Coast, no matter where each team finishes.

Last edited:
And did you know that this is the first time Harley has played on the MCG?

Reid hates losing. He's whipping his tadger out of that joint, wiping it on the doona and racking off before they even realised they've been ****ed.

Speaking of losing - take McGovern out of that team and the losing they are going to do is increasing by orders of magnitude.
Such a quaint turn of phrase Bigger, you smooth talker!
And so right...WC will get no more than 50 games out of him before he's off.
Melbourne kept him to 16 touches yesterday, life's going to be tough in a team thats losing Bigly!

To be fair, Fremantle had a list turn around similar to that.
Wishing 3-5 years had only Fyfe, Walters, Tabs and Hughes left.

The club used draft picks and trading to maximise the turnover.

With West Coast, it’s hard to see it. Fremantle still has more first rounders than West Coast, no matter where each team finishes.
That's the thing. Since round 21 in 2021 - whihch was the last time they were in the 8 - they have won a grand total of 8 games. The average losing margin of the 54 losses they have had is 7 ****en goals.

We fell off our cliff in 2016 and did have a big clean-out but it has taken considerable time (even with consistently pretty good to excellent drafting) to get to where we are now.

They haven't even had their clean-out.

(And the idea that we have more first-round picks than they do, no matter what happens, is so sweet I just went into a diabetic coma.)

Lobb recently completed the AFL's Level 2 Coaching course and is considering a future in coaching beyond his playing days, though he's hopeful of remaining in the AFL system for a couple of years yet.

Hope he plays his future players in the right position!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb recently completed the AFL's Level 2 Coaching course and is considering a future in coaching beyond his playing days, though he's hopeful of remaining in the AFL system for a couple of years yet.

A coach who has shown some of the lowest levels of commitment to the club's who have invested in him is going to have some challenges.

“And this boys, is how TikTok works”

I like to Eagle bash as much as the next person given what they give us, but would think Long and Hewitt will also be very good players for them. Reid will probably still be there as well - The eagles dont lose players often.

The few weeks of good footy the Eagles have played this year shows they can at least be competitive when things line up - for those with short memories they've already beaten us this year.

I think they'll have a few years in the wilderness yet but not sure dumping Simpson now will accomplish anything right now.
Never before have they been this bad, and it will not improve quickly.
Reid is on loan.

Switta the ruckman, anyone?

and he would be sobbing because he is no longer taking up the back page ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back