Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What happens if a guy man decides he's not gau anymore. Does that mean he's not allowed to say the word to his way mates anymore?

No one is calling anyone gay out on the paddock, King. They’re using derogatory terms in an attempt to be aggressive, demean or belittle.

For people like me, who grew up with Nicholas Cage asking the street gang “What do you f@ggelas want?” And finding it hilarious, things have changed, but I dont think anyone can seriously argue that, in this regard, the change has not been for the better.

I’d wager Lance Collard grew up in a slightly tougher backyard than most and the journey is a different one, but he has signed up to be a role model and the rules would have been enunciated clearly and often.

Lance is from the KGB area. Girrawheen I think.
Ripper young fella too, and was a Freo fan.
Hopefully this is just a blip for him, as there have been too many of these media brouhas that haven't helped in the past.
And I'm not condoning what he allegedly said.
Challenge the behaviour, not the person

Honestly though, Cameron and Bedford getting 3 weeks each for their tackles is pretty freakin ridiculous…
the tribunal didn't think so

probably penalised with more force because he was let off earlier in the season?

Last edited:
Just saw the vision of the Bedford tackle for the first time.

It's actually unbelievable a player could be given 3 weeks for that. I'd be incredibly pissed if a Freo player even copped one week for that.

At least with the Cameron tackle he is the one driving the player into the ground, Bedford is literally just latching onto someone running away from him. What else is he possibly supposed to do unless you just want to make it touch football.

It's actually unbelievable a player could be given 3 weeks for that. I'd be incredibly pissed if a Freo player even copped one week for that.

At least with the Cameron tackle he is the one driving the player into the ground, Bedford is literally just latching onto someone running away from him. What else is he possibly supposed to do unless you just want to make it touch football.
An attempted smother is a 'football act' but not a tackle. Tribunal decisions tonight were disgraceful.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched it as well.
If the umpire can’t provide a duty of care when just watching the proceedings & throws it up virtually on top of the injured/concussed players head, it’s pretty tough to expect the player tackling from that position to control the player to the ground whilst providing a duty of care.

Accidents will still happen.

All 3 suspended from Non Vic teams. A long with Heeney last week, the VFL is alive and well

Can we not include Davies in this discussion. Let’s be honest he deserved his suspension.

If the other two played for Freo I’d be pissed off big time, although Bedford’s suspension is significantly harder to comprehend than Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL flipped the rules for 4 years, and have flipped it back. Such an amateur run league. Motlop would be really handy for us right about now

Melbourne probably the biggest losers, they would've had Mac Andrew
On the flipside the Bulldogs got JUH #1 which caused the rule change, and took Ryley Sanders from North's NGA last year. Absolutely rorted the whole thing

The AFL flipped the rules for 4 years, and have flipped it back. Such an amateur run league. Motlop would be really handy for us right about now

On the flipside the Bulldogs got JUH #1 which caused the rule change, and took Ryley Sanders from North's NGA last year. Absolutely rorted the whole thing

Why do clubs get a discount for matching bids? Shouldn't the advantage be getting to match the pick regardless of how poor their picks are?

The 20% discount should be a 20% premium. You want them? Sure, you can have them and the advantage you have is that you can pick them at a premium.

Why do clubs get a discount for matching bids? Shouldn't the advantage be getting to match the pick regardless of how poor their picks are?

The 20% discount should be a 20% premium. You want them? Sure, you can have them and the advantage you have is that you can pick them at a premium.

You raise a fair question, the advantage is the priority access.

I have said it elsewhere but I think there's room to leave the discounts in place, but it comes with a cost later.

You enjoy the 20% discount, that player is an unrestricted free agent for life when they come out of contract.
You pay the 20% increase, that player is the same as any other you would have picked - the 20% discount is the price of the priority access.

Poor Malakai

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have said it elsewhere but I think there's room to leave the discounts in place, but it comes with a cost later.

You enjoy the 20% discount, that player is an unrestricted free agent for life when they come out of contract.
You pay the 20% increase, that player is the same as any other you would have picked - the 20% discount is the price of the priority access.

I don't hate that. UFA status immediately.....

That's actually quite diabolical.

Nah, that just hurts the players that clubs pay the 20% draft capital. The whole thing should be scrapped but if they are going to keep the bidding process there shouldn't be a discount. As Yeti said, the discount is that you get the player another team ways.

Academy, Father/Son and FA compo should all be scrapped immediately.

I'm not excusing it but in the heat of battle people say things without thinking of the consequences. Especially when they have elevated levels of adrenalin.

"I'm not excusing it but..." :rolleyes:

Such a weird conversation that so many posts have been devoted to whether a slur that the Queer community really hasn't reclaimed or celebrated that is nothing but denigrating in the hands of non-Queer people is maybe ok to use because of 'adrenaline'.

Surely this is a not negotiable these days and can't be condoned or softened in any way.

Not before we benefit from one of them or we get stiffed twice.

Hopefully Father/son and it's some unlikely outcome like the son of James Walker being a 6'5" running machine who flosses his teeth with the dismembered limbs of his foes. Real or imagined.

Nah, that just hurts the players that clubs pay the 20% draft capital. The whole thing should be scrapped but if they are going to keep the bidding process there shouldn't be a discount. As Yeti said, the discount is that you get the player another team ways.

I want it to be split into two nights. Auction night and draft night. All academy and father sons etc are in the auction pool and clubs bud on them using their draft picks. This would naturally imcreade the price paid due to thenbidding system and make it very hard for top teams to match.

Makes the draft optics a lot better because your pick doesn't move on the night AND makes it a lot of fun and needs even better asset management (choosing to load up for the auction vs keeping your picks for draft night.

I think it could be awesome if done right.

Not before we benefit from one of them or we get stiffed twice.

Hopefully Father/son and it's some unlikely outcome like the son of James Walker being a 6'5" running machine who flosses his teeth with the dismembered limbs of his foes. Real or imagined.

Nah, would prefer it get scrapped rather than waiting for something that may never come.

I want it to be split into two nights. Auction night and draft night. All academy and father sons etc are in the auction pool and clubs bud on them using their draft picks. This would naturally imcreade the price paid due to thenbidding system and make it very hard for top teams to match.

Makes the draft optics a lot better because your pick doesn't move on the night AND makes it a lot of fun and needs even better asset management (choosing to load up for the auction vs keeping your picks for draft night.

I think it could be awesome if done right.

That would be good viewing!

Scrapping all of the bidding systems would also make things interesting, ie Nick Daicos is available to every team, how much do Collingwood want him? Trade up on draft night and pay a premium for him or let him go to a team to try and then trade with later or get through FA. That way the team that drafts him gets a benefit, right now there is no reason to bid other than to keep the system somewhat honest.

The AFL draft is so incredibly compromised and instead of lessening that they have made it even worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back