Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah **** Geelong, hope they go out in straight sets, right up there in the same league with Carlton and West Coast for mine, one of the least likeable teams in the league.
Anakin Skywalker No GIF by Star Wars

Nah **** Geelong, hope they go out in straight sets, right up there in the same league with Carlton and West Coast for mine, one of the least likeable teams in the league.
Happy for Geelong to win today and lose another prelim. Port out in straight sets improves our pick, port and Sydney going out in straight sets optimises it, so Carn the Cats and Giants, the death ride ain’t over yet!

Happy for Geelong to win today and lose another prelim. Port out in straight sets improves our pick, port and Sydney going out in straight sets optimises it, so Carn the Cats and Giants, the death ride ain’t over yet!
I would still like Sydney to win the premiership, just in case...

I used to have the same thoughts about Geelong but only in the last 2-3 years they've really softened on me. I just have to respect them as a club. Have moved them from the despised category past disliked and into the mildly approve of.

But on the flip side, 0 Vic teams in the Grand Final and 0 Prelims at the G would be great for the competition. Kinda going for Port here.

I would still like Sydney to win the premiership, just in case...
This is just my opinion but at the beginning of the year I would be 100% behind Warner. Now that Pickett has indicated he wants to return home at some stage I think the club really needs to consider its options. Warner will give us a top four midfield but won't Bolton do that anyway? If Bolton plays majority midfield we still need an elite small forward. Our pressure I50 will only get worse adding Warner.

This is just my opinion but at the beginning of the year I would be 100% behind Warner. Now that Pickett has indicated he wants to return home at some stage I think the club really needs to consider its options. Warner will give us a top four midfield but won't Bolton do that anyway? If Bolton plays majority midfield we still need an elite small forward. Our pressure I50 will only get worse adding Warner.
If we take the Pickett stuff on face value, I would personally say to Warner, I'm really sorry but I can't turn down Pickett and we can't fit you all in. We can't wait a year to maybe get you instead of the exact player we need right now.

Pickett is also a lot cheaper salary wise. I would personally go Pickett/Bolton as my first preference even if it means being a dick to Warner after chasing him for years

If we take the Pickett stuff on face value, I would personally say to Warner, I'm really sorry but I can't turn down Pickett and we can't fit you all in. We can't wait a year to maybe get you instead of the exact player we need right now.

Pickett is also a lot cheaper salary wise. I would personally go Pickett/Bolton as my first preference even if it means being a dick to Warner after chasing him for years
At the very, very least, you would want as close to concrete agreement that Warner is coming next year. Not "probably, I'm interested" that sh*t wont cut it.

Though who am I kidding, I reckon Pickett is 10000% staying :(

At the very, very least, you would want as close to concrete agreement that Warner is coming next year. Not "probably, I'm interested" that sh*t wont cut it.

Though who am I kidding, I reckon Pickett is 10000% staying :(
There is never really an iron clad agreement but it works both ways. McDonald probably held of signing for a move home and we shut the door on him considering what Treacy had done this season.

We just need Simpson to turn into Warner 2.0.

This is the common sense thing to do, I hope that the recruiting team agrees with us! I just dont want Walls to be seduced by Warner's talent so he stubbornly ignores Pickett.

This is the common sense thing to do, I hope that the recruiting team agrees with us! I just dont want Walls to be seduced by Warner's talent so he stubbornly ignores Pickett.
Not a bad position to be in though hopefully...

A bird in the hand (Pickett) is worth two in the bush (Warner)

If Pickett wanted a trade to Freo we just have to make it work.

If Warner wanted a trade to Freo in 2025 we just have to make it work too.

Trading in three quality players like Bolton, Pickett and Warner would require some ticker and the jettisoning of some players.

Currently Bolton has said he would like to play for Freo next year, Picket has said he is still a little bit homesick but he will probably stay put. Warner has said nothing.

We are going to have to play the cards we are dealt in the sequence they are dealt to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I forgot about the draft pick, can we just eliminate both in one go instead???

But on the flip side, 0 Vic teams in the Grand Final and 0 Prelims at the G would be great for the competition. Kinda going for Port here.

It'll be great alright... until the AFL overcorrects to ensure Vic teams win the next 30 premierships to make up for this one year of non-Vic dominance.

It'll be great alright... until the AFL overcorrects to ensure Vic teams win the next 30 premierships to make up for this one year of non-Vic dominance.
Yeah, the 2006 off season rhetoric, lead by Kevin Sheedy, about Vic teams falling behind and how alarming it was for the game was one of the single most pathetic and damning peeks behind the curtain to how the AFL really thinks.

As a Non Freo post, I will ask, If Port and Brissie fail in this finals campaign, will Hinkley and Fagan come under a load of pressure to hold their jobs?

Good question. Port will be aiming high having finished in the top two. The road to a GF is within touching distance for them so if they go out in straight sets Ken will be in peril. Lose a Prelim Final there will be pressure for sure. Anything better than that and Ken will be safe.

Expectations for Brissie will be more moderate as they finished 5th. They would realise it's difficult from there. I think they would be happy to get to a Preliminary Final. They are unlikely to shake things up too much regardless so Fagan should be safe regardless of what happens during the finals. Fagin has won some time by getting them to the GF last season too.

Anyone else not really care about the finals series this year?
My only care is Port losing, feel almost nothing about the rest of it. Maybe Swans winning is good for Chad, but I don't feel strongly about that because I don't think they let him go this year regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back