Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that’s not a glowing endorsement.

View attachment 2106854

I dunno whether that's a dig at West Coast per se, it was probably more about his own state of mind.
Being a rookie- especially one that's miles from senior selection - is tough. You're expected to work your ass off for a fraction of the salary of most other players only to slog it out in the WAFL every weekend. As a teenager that's probably dominated just about every level of footy in their life up until then that mentally can be too much.
There's a reason why he only lasted a year on the list. That's pretty rare, even for a rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda the Gold Coast tax unfortunately: Every club and most of the AFL community basically regards your entire existence as a joke and even harmful for the competition so swarm on any and all players as a glorified feeder club. They HAVE to pay gargantuan overs just to keep their talented core.

Not to go all Kane Cornes but contracts really are getting out of hand. 5 or 6 year deals for b22 players seem to be the minimum now.
Following the NBA route.
It’s so clubs can get compensation. Draft picks, players in return. No more freebies

If we are signing contracts that long players need to be allowed to be traded to a club without consent in my opinion.

If you want to push for that, given the expense of moving to a new town, you would start it allowing a club to trade a player within the same city without consent - which will advantage the Melbourne clubs and mean it can come in.

I've also heard of players being paid above the average being available to be traded without consent, with those under it being free agents when out of contract.

If you want to push for that, given the expense of moving to a new town, you would start it allowing a club to trade a player within the same city without consent - which will advantage the Melbourne clubs and mean it can come in.

I've also heard of players being paid above the average being available to be traded without consent, with those under it being free agents when out of contract.
Could you build in a "relocation" payment from the departing club?

How to say you have ruled yourself out of the Eagles coaching race without saying you have ruled yourself out of the Eagles coaching race.

How to say you have ruled yourself out of the Eagles coaching race without saying you have ruled yourself out of the Eagles coaching race.

"How to use interest from other clubs to secure an extension" 101.

He's done it all the way through.

Due for a contract: "GC are interested" not sacked and new extension announced
Due for a contract: "Essendon are keen" not sacked and new extension announced

Port fans must be loving this. :/

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back