Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Like his passion, and Gold Coast have done well in replacing Dee with Hardwick. I think Hardwick will guide Gold Coast to their first ever final appearance, but just not this year. He will undoubtedly read the riot act to his team and prepare them well for their next away match, which unfortunately will be against us.

Most people I know follow multiple sports, some even during the same season. There's next to no reason why footy couldn't be someone's secondary sport.

There's seemingly been a public shift. So far, most people in Western Sydney seem quite tolerant (unsure if accepting as yet) with some open to footy. We've had some league fans come up to talk to us over time when we've been in pubs watching footy or wearing Giants gear to strike up a conversation on the train or in public in Western Sydney. No public slurs (which in some ways has been a surprise given what I've read and heard from footy fans in Sydney about the slurs they'd receive for their interest in footy in the past).

Getting off the train yesterday at Olympic Park after the Bulldogs game finished, there were a number of Bulldogs fans shouting "Go Giants".

Give the people the footy option!! :D

Fox red-faced after Matthew Johns spruiks AFL

Danny Weidler
July 7, 2024 — 5.45am

The NRL and Fox Sports have been left embarrassed, with the face of Fox League, Matthew Johns, involved in an advertising campaign to promote the game’s great rival, the AFL.

Peter V’landys has spent his years as chairman of the ARL Commission taking swipes at the AFL as he tries to make rugby league the dominant code in the country and he watches every move the AFL makes like a hawk. He is also very aware of what his broadcast partners are doing and what their on-air talent are saying. Take it as fact that he will let the networks know if he thinks AFL is getting what he sees as too much coverage, let alone good coverage.

Johns is promoting the AFL on his podcast, which is sponsored by News Corp. He is not only talking up the AFL during what are known as “live reads” (ads read out live by the stars of the show), but the commercials are designed to get people to attend games in the school holidays. Johns is entitled to make money any way he sees fit, but I’ve been told he did not earn money promoting the AFL. It’s what the image-conscience NRL thinks that matters.

In the commercial, Johns talks up the good value of the AFL and the benefits of going to a game.

“Parents, the school holidays are here and I’ll tell you a good way to entertain the kids, attend a good old game of Aussie rules live,” he says. “And the best part, between now and July 21, kids 14 years and under go free, so you can enjoy the sport without breaking the bank.

“Feel the excitement together, cheer for incredible ‘spekkies’, as they call it, and experience the energy of a stadium filled with cheering fans. And it’s more than just a game, it’s an opportunity to bond, create lasting memories and share in the excitement of sport. Make the school holiday one that is talked about for years.”

There is no question that if the game’s other broadcast partner, Channel Nine, and its stars Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Cameron Smith or Phil Gould were promoting the AFL, the News Corp media and their magazine shows would be running wild with the story. Expect the hatchet men to keep their axes clean.

Nine is owned by Nine Entertainment Co, which owns this masthead. I also work for Nine news.

V’landys did not want to comment when contacted.

We called Johns for comment and, initially, he said he had nothing to say. He called back a short time later with the cryptic comment: “Pulled Danny”. So by that, are we to assume he won’t do it again?

It’s particularly surprising given Johns has never been very complimentary about the AFL. I’ve heard stories about Johns giving former AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan a spray at a corporate event about what he thought of the AFL’s push into western Sydney.

The key words there are "Danny Weidler" and "[the podcast is] sponsored by News Corp". The SMH and Telegraph NRL reporters constantly snipe at each other and each other's outlets, it's like a great game to them. Weidler would have said the same thing if Johns was advertising a tiddlywinks tournament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next week:

5th vs 9th (Geelong vs Collingwood)
3rd vs 13th (Fremantle vs Hawthorn)
2nd vs 11th (Carlton vs WB)
4th vs 10th (Essendon vs Melbourne)
6th vs 12th (Port vs Gold Coast)

We sit at 8th and every team within 5 places of us will play each other (except 7th place Brisbane)

Very important we get the 4 points vs Richmond

Most people I know follow multiple sports, some even during the same season. There's next to no reason why footy couldn't be someone's secondary sport.

There's seemingly been a public shift. So far, most people in Western Sydney seem quite tolerant (unsure if accepting as yet) with some open to footy. We've had some league fans come up to talk to us over time when we've been in pubs watching footy or wearing Giants gear to strike up a conversation on the train or in public in Western Sydney. No public slurs (which in some ways has been a surprise given what I've read and heard from footy fans in Sydney about the slurs they'd receive for their interest in footy in the past).

Getting off the train yesterday at Olympic Park after the Bulldogs game finished, there were a number of Bulldogs fans shouting "Go Giants".

Give the people the footy option!! :D

Silly article
I love all sport.

Next week:

5th vs 9th (Geelong vs Collingwood)
3rd vs 13th (Fremantle vs Hawthorn)
2nd vs 11th (Carlton vs WB)
4th vs 10th (Essendon vs Melbourne)
6th vs 12th (Port vs Gold Coast)

We sit at 8th and every team within 5 places of us will play each other (except 7th place Brisbane)

Very important we get the 4 points vs Richmond
If we win we are likely to look more comfortable in the 8 with that going on around us.

Our GM of football, Jason McCartney's son, Aidan, in the Swans academy appears to be on draft watch, eligible for the draft and F/S for North from next year.

Collingwood’s ultimatum to league over Opening Round: All of us or none of us

GLENN MCFARLANE

09 July 2024

News Sport Network

Collingwood president Jeff Browne says the Magpies will only take part in next year’s Opening Round if all 18 clubs are involved in a full-round showcase of the northern states.

The Magpies will pitch their case to the AFL at next week’s CEOs meeting, stressing all clubs must contribute equally towards promoting the code in New South Wales and Queensland to kickstart the 2025 season.

Browne said the Magpies also intended to reaffirm their strong support for maintaining the father-son rule against calls for its abolition, saying it remained a part of the rich fabric of the sport.

“We will speak (to the AFL) about Opening Round; we won’t be going if it is just two clubs going to Sydney,” Browne told the Herald Sun.

“I am all in favour of developing the game in the northern states but (Opening Round) needs to be fairly spread across all the clubs, not just a handful of them.”

Collingwood was one of four Victorian clubs – along with Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne – who travelled north for the inaugural Opening Round in early March.

The Magpies were beaten by Greater Western Sydney in Sydney before having to return to Melbourne to play Sydney six days later.

Craig McRae’s reigning premiers lost their first three games of the season, and while Browne isn’t using Opening Round as an excuse, he said all clubs needed to play in the northern states roadshow, not just a handful.

“We finished the latest (in 2023, having played in the grand final against Brisbane) and we started the earliest in enemy territory,” Browne said.

“It took a bit out of us (last year) … if everyone goes up there and plays the game there, I am happy with that, but we are not going to do like we did (earlier) this year.”

Browne said he could not understand why the AFL would not fixture “a mini Magic Round” to replicate the NRL experience to kickstart next season, with potentially five games in Sydney and four in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

He said it would have a different feel to Gather Round, which has been so successful in two different versions in Adelaide, but would be great in terms of promotion of the code.

“We would be fully supportive (of a full round),” he said. “We would build lunches around the game and work on the whole build up,” he said. “It would be like a mini Magic Round.

“Half the teams could go to Brisbane and half the teams could go to Sydney.

“It neutralises disadvantage but also pumps up the development of those markets. We are fully supportive of that. We want to go there, but we want to make sure it is fair for everyone.”

Browne said he could not understand why some clubs, including St Kilda, were intent on changing the fabric of the father-son rule.

The Magpies have three current father sons in the team, including Nick and Josh Daicos and skipper Darcy Moore.

“I am passionate about it,” Browne said of the father-son traditions.

“The father-son rule is one of the great traditions of the game. People love the history and the tradition of the rule. It is fundamental to the success of our game.

“I’ve told (the AFL) don’t tinker with it; it’s not broken.”

Not a bad idea at face value but there would be a lot to work through to get it over the line. I'd be surprised if the AFL agreed to making it an opening mini Gather Round in both states with the timeframe remaining until the 2025 season opener in March.

A lot would need to happen quickly and I'd imagine the NSW and QLD Governments would also need to agree to chip in money for it to get over the line. Happy to be corrected though.

It's also not school holidays but there is a public holiday in Victoria and South Australia on the 10th of March.

Unlikely to happen IMO.

Last edited:
Collingwood’s ultimatum to league over Opening Round: All of us or none of us

GLENN MCFARLANE

09 July 2024

News Sport Network

Collingwood president Jeff Browne says the Magpies will only take part in next year’s Opening Round if all 18 clubs are involved in a full-round showcase of the northern states.

The Magpies will pitch their case to the AFL at next week’s CEOs meeting, stressing all clubs must contribute equally towards promoting the code in New South Wales and Queensland to kickstart the 2025 season.

Browne said the Magpies also intended to reaffirm their strong support for maintaining the father-son rule against calls for its abolition, saying it remained a part of the rich fabric of the sport.

“We will speak (to the AFL) about Opening Round; we won’t be going if it is just two clubs going to Sydney,” Browne told the Herald Sun.

“I am all in favour of developing the game in the northern states but (Opening Round) needs to be fairly spread across all the clubs, not just a handful of them.”

Collingwood was one of four Victorian clubs – along with Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne – who travelled north for the inaugural Opening Round in early March.

The Magpies were beaten by Greater Western Sydney in Sydney before having to return to Melbourne to play Sydney six days later.

Craig McRae’s reigning premiers lost their first three games of the season, and while Browne isn’t using Opening Round as an excuse, he said all clubs needed to play in the northern states roadshow, not just a handful.

“We finished the latest (in 2023, having played in the grand final against Brisbane) and we started the earliest in enemy territory,” Browne said.

“It took a bit out of us (last year) … if everyone goes up there and plays the game there, I am happy with that, but we are not going to do like we did (earlier) this year.”

Browne said he could not understand why the AFL would not fixture “a mini Magic Round” to replicate the NRL experience to kickstart next season, with potentially five games in Sydney and four in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

He said it would have a different feel to Gather Round, which has been so successful in two different versions in Adelaide, but would be great in terms of promotion of the code.

“We would be fully supportive (of a full round),” he said. “We would build lunches around the game and work on the whole build up,” he said. “It would be like a mini Magic Round.

“Half the teams could go to Brisbane and half the teams could go to Sydney.

“It neutralises disadvantage but also pumps up the development of those markets. We are fully supportive of that. We want to go there, but we want to make sure it is fair for everyone.”

Browne said he could not understand why some clubs, including St Kilda, were intent on changing the fabric of the father-son rule.

The Magpies have three current father sons in the team, including Nick and Josh Daicos and skipper Darcy Moore.

“I am passionate about it,” Browne said of the father-son traditions.

“The father-son rule is one of the great traditions of the game. People love the history and the tradition of the rule. It is fundamental to the success of our game.

“I’ve told (the AFL) don’t tinker with it; it’s not broken.”
there is no interest like self interest.

I hate it when Collingwood makes sense.

Opening round was a bit stupid but instead of a mini gather round they should rotate gather round around the non Vic states

I'm also a huge supporter of F/S & in fact would even go so far as to relax the rules to make it easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back