Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That was one aspect of Laura Kane's drivel that I hated. Healy was trying to compare the umpire's decision at the time to the MRO decision, but she's like 'oh, well, the umpires do a good job, but the MRO gets to pore over multiple camera angles". And while umps do miss things (GWS fans know that!), if a good vs bad tackle can't be adjudicated by an ump, then the rules are crap.

BEN KEAYS, Nate Caddy and Matt Guelfi have avoided suspensions after the Match Review Officer looked at their three incidents in Adelaide's win over Essendon on Friday night.

Keays (for a tackle on Jye Caldwell), Caddy (for a collision with Jordan Dawson) and Guelfi (for a tackle on Sam Berry) were cleared for incidents in the Crows' stunning victory.

The MRO said Keays "exercised his duty of care" in executing his tackle on Caldwell, whose head hit the ground.

Caldwell was substituted as he underwent a head injury assessment before being cleared of concussion.

BEN KEAYS, Nate Caddy and Matt Guelfi have avoided suspensions after the Match Review Officer looked at their three incidents in Adelaide's win over Essendon on Friday night.

Keays (for a tackle on Jye Caldwell), Caddy (for a collision with Jordan Dawson) and Guelfi (for a tackle on Sam Berry) were cleared for incidents in the Crows' stunning victory.

The MRO said Keays "exercised his duty of care" in executing his tackle on Caldwell, whose head hit the ground.

Caldwell was substituted as he underwent a head injury assessment before being cleared of concussion.
Gee. I wonder what the call would been if Caldwell was concussed?

It will be interesting what happens with the Ben Keays tackle on Jye Caldwell. Jye had an arm free, and was still concussed (which demonstrates that releasing an arm isn't the holy grail of protecting a player), so did Keays meet his duty of care or not? Let's see what the MRO does.
Caldwell been playing really well. Looks a ripper. I know we didn't get to keep him, but another tick to Carusso

MRO CHRISTIAN CONCEDES: WE’RE ASKING A LOT OF AFL PLAYERS

— Glenn McFarlane and Josh Barnes

Essendon’s Kyle Langford and Adelaide’s Lachlan Murphy are the latest players to call for greater consistency around dangerous tackling assessments as the AFL’s match review officer Michael Christian dismissed suggestions the fabric of the game was at risk.

In a week in which three-week bans for Charlie Cameron and Toby Bedford were thrown out on legal technicalities by the Appeals Board and AFL doubled down its tackling crackdown, players and coaches have expressed their frustrations only six weeks out from the finals.

Murphy said players understood the need to protect the head, but stressed they were “extremely confused” by the current situation.

“I have been impacted first-hand with concussions and obviously with a great mate ‘Seedo’ (Paul Seedsman) having to retire, so I know how serious the concussion stuff is,” Murphy said on ABC radio.

“There’s always a duty of care, but yeah, I don’t think many people know what is actually going on, to be completely honest, especially when it is a chase down tackle out of a stoppage or a non-sling sort of action.
“(With) someone like me who is knee high to a grasshopper … I’ve got no choice but to use my power to get them to ground because if I try to hold them up, they are just too big and too strong for me.

“So there’s a little bit of confusion whether I can take them to ground. It’s a contact sport … if his head accidentally hits the ground, I could be out for a month, so I understand it’s a tough position to be in.

“We’re working on it and doing our best, but it’s no secret that many people are confused.”

The AFL sent a memo to clubs late on Friday with video of legal and illegal tackles but Essendon did not have the chance to show it to their players before the Crows clash.

Langford said: “I think it is pretty clear that if the head hits the ground there is a duty of care.”

“I think it is just something that us players and coaches are going to have to work through with the AFL because we are going to have to change our technique that we have done since we were 10 years old.

“I like the way it is going because it is protecting the player, but I think there is a bit of inconsistency at the moment in the way it is adjudicated.”

Asked if it was possible to change tackling styles in season, Langford said: “I’m not sure. I think it is a little bit confusing at times.”

“You see the instances from last week, they get three weeks, then they get off. We have had a few go against us, like Harry Jones earlier in the year. I think the inconsistency is the hard part but it is not for me to get worried about it too much.”

Christian hit back at suggestions that the AFL’s crackdown on tackles would change the fabric of the game, saying it was essential for the health and safety of the players.

“The fabric of the game is not under threat and so many players are doing the right thing,” Christian said on SEN.

“We need to be strong with these types of incidents to ensure that players and the media and the football public understand that they’re just not acceptable in the game.

“At the risk of repeating myself, we’ve had 18,508 tackles this year and seven suspensions.

“Occasionally it’s wrong. The players have been exceptional in exercising a duty of care to their opposition in the cut and thrust of a tackle.

“I’m not saying it’s easy. I’m not saying we’re not demanding a lot of the players, but for the betterment of the game, for the longevity of the game, for the ability of players and parents to feel like player safety is absolutely premium here, I make no excuses for that. I think that’s where we’ve got to be.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keyes was more forceful and Caldwell’s head hit the ground harder than Taranto - and while he eventually passed the concussion test, he was still subbed out of the game because of the incident - yet cleared by the MRO with no case to answer.

😡😡😡😡

But they were saying Papley, Rampe and possibly Hayward are injured..good for us if Sydney wins as we are in competition with Brisbane for a possible top 4 spot, but Swans will get at least finish top 2 (and probably win the minor premiership)
Top 4 is what matters for us, unconcerned where South finish.
They hold no fear for me at finals time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back